Hot Shots Golf: FORE Slow Motion at 60fps
(02-19-2014, 07:06 AM)uptightjj Wrote: Set it to DX11 Software, extra rendering threads to 8

no, set at 3/4 (4 for an i7) that will be your best result

Sponsored links

(07-06-2014, 07:58 PM)maddogbv Wrote: I know this is quite an old thread to bump, but I too have been playing this game (the Japanese version) on my emulator. I'm using aggressive speedhacks and D3D-9 software emulation. My specs are as follows:

AMD FX-8350 @ 4.1Ghz
NVIDIA GeForce GT640
8GB DDR3 1333Mhz

I realize the video card is quite dated, which is why I have stuck to software emulation, as on hardware emulation the game simply becomes unplayable due to extreme slowdown.

The game FPS absolutely chugs on the opening drive of each hole, which makes timing shots really difficult, even with my extra CPU rendering threads set to 7 and most speedhacks enabled (except VU cycle stealing which causes the game to go quite slow).

However, while golfing in the game, I have noticed that if it starts raining... the FPS is at 60 the whole time. There's no slowdown whatsoever. This baffled me considering that rain should add to the slowdown. Instead, it makes the game as fast as if it were played on an actual PS2. I then figured out that the slowdown during normal play is probably due to the draw distance being set very high, which would explain why it's slow on the opening drive but the game then speeds up on fairway shots.

It boggles me that even with a top-end CPU like an AMD FX-8350 that this game still has speed problems, but I guess it just boils down to buggy emulation and unoptimized code.

No it boils down to your cpu having a fairly unimpressive STP. Also motion blur and other rendering effects aren't that easy. Finally 7 extra rendering threads is bound to hurt your speed rather than help it. Set extra threads to 3 or 4.
[Image: gmYzFII.png]
[Image: dvedn3-5.png]
My understanding was that each additional rendering thread uses an extra logical CPU thread. Since my CPU has 8 cores, I figured it would be best to set it to 7. However, it takes a performance hit if I reduce it to the number of extra threads that you suggest.

So should I get rid of my current motherboard and CPU and switch to an i7 setup?

Edit: Had I read the FAQ the first time, I would've realized you're right; the emulator really isn't designed for quad-core rendering, much less 8-core. So a CPU with strong single thread performance would be better in this case.
(07-06-2014, 08:43 PM)maddogbv Wrote: My understanding was that each additional rendering thread uses an extra logical CPU thread. Since my CPU has 8 cores, I figured it would be best to set it to 7. However, it takes a performance hit if I reduce it to the number of extra threads that you suggest.

Edit: Had I read the FAQ the first time, I would've realized you're right; the emulator really isn't designed for quad-core rendering, much less 8-core. So a CPU with strong single thread performance would be better in this case.
I did tests on an i7, I have not done tests on an AMD, I would need someone trusting enough to let me run tests on their machine, but from the current understanding anything over 4 slows down the emu, it does not speed it up
^ I have done tests on an AMD, and I can verify once your software threads start overlapping your main threads, things get worse, not better. On a 6 core I found 3 was best with MTVU off and 2 with it on. So add two to those numbers for 8 core and don't go higher.

PCSX2 has 4 threads already in software mode with MTVU on:

EE
GS
MTVU
Base Software Thread
[Image: XTe1j6J.png]
Gaming Rig: Intel i7 6700k @ 4.8Ghz | GTX 1070 TI | 32GB RAM | 960GB(480GB+480GB RAID0) SSD | 2x 1TB HDD
(07-08-2014, 12:40 AM)Blyss Sarania Wrote: ^ I have done tests on an AMD, and I can verify once your software threads start overlapping your main threads, things get worse, not better. On a 6 core I found 3 was best with MTVU off and 2 with it on. So add two to those numbers for 8 core and don't go higher.

PCSX2 has 4 threads already in software mode with MTVU on:

EE
GS
MTVU
Base Software Thread

Well, with intel it gets.. weird. so I would have to do the tests to discover what I feel best. because if you look at how my pc is set up for instance.

C1 - EE sw2
C2 - GS sw3
HT1 - MTVU sw4
HT2 - SW1

and that seems to produce the best for me. (assuming those are situated as they would)
I tried values from 3-12 with no MTVU in my test and it got faster up to 3, 3 and 4 were the same, and above that each thread slowed it down by a a few FPS. Above 6 there was no difference in either faster or slower. e.g. 7-12 were the same as 6 for me.
[Image: XTe1j6J.png]
Gaming Rig: Intel i7 6700k @ 4.8Ghz | GTX 1070 TI | 32GB RAM | 960GB(480GB+480GB RAID0) SSD | 2x 1TB HDD