How am I wrong?
Ok I am sure most of you seen my thread here:
http://forums.pcsx2.net/thread-11944.html

And feel free to ban me after this, don't care really. But I am very confused. Because I mentioned I got my game from somewhere else I can't be helped? Despite the fact I OWN the game but cannot make a copy because its to damaged? So the only way I can get help is to somehow go buy a copy of the game that isn't also damaged after all these years? Is that what I am being told?

If I own the game then how is it illegal to download a copy of a game that I already own? I am not stealing something that I did not infact already pay for. Example antivirus programs. If I uninstall my Norton I can redownload it at Nortons (well Symantecs) site! I can see how downloading the game would be illegal if I never paid for it.

I think you should change your rules. If your game is to scratched up then you don't have a choice! I can't make a game work if my game is in fact dead.

I mean if you want to be technical your Emulator is what needs to me make a copy. Other then that I have no need to copy my game. So why is it even illegal then? Your saying I am doing something wrong. I am only doing it because in order to use your emulator I had to download the game because it wouldn't read my disc. And yet its my fault somehow. You designed the emulator to read copied discs not me. Don't yell at me for having to download someone else game because the emulator doens't read my disc.

Which BTW I am assuming my disc is dead. I did manage to get it to work on my friends PS2. But for some reason it won't copy.

Anyways my point is I had no reason to go download the game. And the fact is most people here I doubt have real games. We all know its true. We just make silly rules so the scary FBI doesn't come and shut forums down. But it doesn't mean we all are illegaly doing things. I was honest and really do own the game and thought being honest would count. But I should have thought about it, a pirate forum is a pirate forum. Its better to lie and and say your game works and you own the game (for those who don't) so you get help.

Anyways whats done is done now. Up until I got a negative response I thought I would donate because I hadn't gotten a emulator to work yet that could even start in general. It was nice to see the PS2 intro on my screen! But if this is the way people get helped then I'll wait until theres another emulator I find that works and donate there. Ninja

Oh and lie. Cause its important and after all the FBI and all is to stupid to see through the lies. lol. Rolleyes

Sponsored links

(12-12-2009, 08:57 AM)xfreakazoidx Wrote: Because I mentioned I got my game from somewhere else I can't be helped? Despite the fact I OWN the game but cannot make a copy because its to damaged? So the only way I can get help is to somehow go buy a copy of the game that isn't also damaged after all these years? Is that what I am being told?

Yes, legality is a pain but that's basically it. Legally you're only allowed to make a copy of a disc you own, not someone else's disc but yours, by getting it from "somewhere" you're getting a copy of someone else's game it's that simple.

It really sucks and everything but that's basically how it is, legally if you want to rip the game you'd have to buy it again if you can't from your own... illegally you can do whatever you want but we wont offer support.

Quote:Example antivirus programs. If I uninstall my Norton I can redownload it at Nortons (well Symantecs) site! I can see how downloading the game would be illegal if I never paid for it.

This is different, for software you usually just pay for the license and you can get the program from wherever you want a disc or downloaded or whatever... even for some PC games you can pay and just download it, but for console games (most?) it's just different.

Quote:I mean if you want to be technical your Emulator is what needs to me make a copy. Other then that I have no need to copy my game.

Uh, I'm sorry but the emulator in no way requires from you to make a copy of your games, you can run them from the disc just fine (well at least the ones that do run Tongue).

Quote:I'll wait until theres another emulator I find that works and donate there.

Good luck and farewell.
Core i5 3570k -- Geforce GTX 670  --  Windows 7 x64
Supplementary explanation:

(12-12-2009, 08:57 AM)xfreakazoidx Wrote: And the fact is most people here I doubt have real games. We all know its true. We just make silly rules so the scary FBI doesn't come and shut forums down. But it doesn't mean we all are illegaly doing things. I was honest and really do own the game and thought being honest would count. But I should have thought about it, a pirate forum is a pirate forum. Its better to lie and and say your game works and you own the game (for those who don't) so you get help.

What you do with your time in the privacy of your home is not in our jurisdiction as moderators. What we do after you've openly admitted to breaking United States law is within our jurisdiction. Hint: If people don't make public where/how they obtain their games, we can't do anything about it. But when you post that you've downloaded a game from the net, it doesn't matter if you own 37 copies -- the current United States interpretation of copyright law decided that downloading media from the internet is a violation of copyright. You are allowed to make copies from your original discs only. If the original media fails, and you have no backup, then by law you're screwed.

If you think that's a violation of fair use, or the oppression of basic human rights, then write your congressman, start a blog, or something. Sure, that may or (more likely) may not make a difference in the world. But one thing is more certain: blaming the mods of a PS2 emulator forum for being stuck-ups will not make a difference ever.

Quote:Anyways whats done is done now. Up until I got a negative response I thought I would donate because I hadn't gotten a emulator to work yet that could even start in general. It was nice to see the PS2 intro on my screen! But if this is the way people get helped then I'll wait until theres another emulator I find that works and donate there.

... so like, is that an attempt at bribery? And just how much were you going to donate for us to "look the other way"? I ask because you can buy a brand new copy of Frequency for under $20. Used copies are selling for under $10. By all means, the PCSX2 Team would rather you spend your money on that, rather then donate to us and use the game illegally.
Jake Stine (Air) - Programmer - PCSX2 Dev Team
Ha, haven't had a thread like this in a while. I always love them.
www.twitch.tv/krazytrumpeter05
Want to stream your games? Let me know and I can help you get set up with Open Broadcaster Software.
We had a similar thread to this in chatterbox not long ago... just a week or so at most though the original author was much less confrontational and was much more curious as to why exactly the policy is what it is.

It's all about protecting the developers, moderators, site administrators, etc etc. As I said before in that thread it's not the individual who'd be targeted, but the organization that perpetrates or (in this case) allows such things to go on in their site.
[Image: 2748844.png]
i wonder if Sony have contacted pcsx2 team about this?
Phenom II X4 940 3 Ghz / 8 gb RAM 800 / Geforce GTX 460 / win7 64
If your disc no longer functions properly due to physical damage or wear and tear (eg. scratches), then you should have to buy a new (or used) copy. If you break a glass cup, you can't expect to legally be able to steal an exact replica, for example.
[Image: yunacopy.jpg]
just give it up, examples can be given for both sides, you may be right, you may be wrong, but the law says your wrong, if you can change the law then please do try, you're not the only one that thinks it's a bother. Besides if we don't pay for these games, how are they going to make new ones?
With console games it's really hard to say what it is you actually own... With PC games and programs it's very obvious since you have to agree to a EULA before you even install a game. You're told outright that you're licensed the game, and don't necessarily OWN it. Most PC game companies will then gladly replace the software for the cost of shipping or even download the game directly from them as long as you have your original key and will again agree with the EULA.

Console games, however, don't have EULA (except a few MMOs or other online games that they make you agree to before being able to really play) and as such there is no clear definition of what it is you actually own. Do you own the actual software and thus can do whatever you want with it? Are you licensing it? Or do you just own a peice of plastic that just happens to have game code on it that you don't actually own? Without any clear licensing agreement, we then default to copyright law which states that you have the right to own a single backup of a copy you physically own. That is what the law is based off of, that is what we have to agree with.
[Image: 2748844.png]
Well someone "could" help me privatley. Its not like anyone would know, anyone from the law that your all so concerned about.

Personally I'm not going to buy the game again. I was already on my second one as it was since my first one I sold and this one was bought from a friend. In the end its not the end of the world. Its just a game I guess. But even though you have these rules in place and I may have been dumb enough to say what I did. The gov doesn't care. They aren't that stupid, they know rules don't mean anything. Most people use illegal copies anyways. Which is why these place die. Not saying its right, just saying.

Now back on the topic at hand. So is the suggestion that I and you pretend I casually go away. Come back as someone else and psot my question again but without mentioning any other info? I think it would be obvious if I another new member came back posting about the same game that it was actually me. Unless you played along and helped "that person". lol

Ok well either way I guess I am done here. Can't do anything with the game now at least. And life goes on without out.