Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How are 4 cores suppose to work
So my classes started today and noticed our school upgraded to the new xeon processor (2.67ghz with 4 cores). This was my first 4 core exp so I wanted to test with what little I could (admin restrictions and stuff).

So I bought up the task manager and saw the 4 cores at work. While I was opening up adobe premier cs4, I noticed that it only used 20% of its processing power (about 5% on each core). Whats up with that? I thought it was going to use the first 2 cores at max but it opened up just about as fast as it normally does with our last computers.

Is that suppose to happen? And I bet the last 2 cores were background info or something. I really have no way of telling for sure though. Would it work better on windows 7? Depending on what you guys say, I might not even bother 4 cores. I might just get a duel core with HT

More info - 2.67hgz 4 cores windows xp 3.5gigs of ram. I didn't catch the graphics card.
Windows 7 - Asus G73jh-a1 - 17-720qm @ 1.6 GHz (2.8 GHz)(2.4ghz)(1.73ghz) - ATI Mobility Radeon HD 5870 @ 700/1000 (sometimes oc to 800/1100) - 8 gig ram

Sponsored links

Fast or slow loading of programs is down to HDD, it's bottlenecking the CPU. SSD is much faster in loading but their high price is stopping them from becoming a mainstream today, maybe in a few years.
Multi-core computers, similarly to Multi-cpu motherboards, contain separate and mostly independent cpu cores inside (mostly because sometimes they share part of the caches).
Each thread can only run in one core at a time, and one core can only run one thread at a time.. except if you have hyper-threading, then one core can run two threads, but since the resources are shared, they will not act the same way as if it was two separate cores.

Now the "20% spread into 5% on each core" could be two separate things:
1. the application actually has 4 separate threads which do a tiny bit of work each, or more likely
2. the OS is load-balancing the threads around.

To avoid giving unfair stress to some cpu cores more than others, the OS will, by default, reassign the threads to the core with the least "execution time",
which causes a single-thread application to "jump" between cores spreading the work between them. This is normal, natural, and beneficial to the cpu.

(01-12-2010, 04:13 AM)Pringles Wrote: [Delete this post]
Will do.