Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 3 Average
How can I OC my proccessor without it becoming unstable?
I'm using a Q6600. To those of you who don't know, it is a quad core processor that runs at 2.4Ghz. This is a problem because PCSX2 only uses 2 cores. To run games at full speed, I have to OC it to around 2.7Ghz. Unfortunately, it becomes unstable this high. My comp will crash after 30 minutes of straight playing. How can I make my processor more stable so that I don't have to continuously reboot my comp?
Intel Q6600 @ 2.8Ghz (Can't get it any higher)
nVidia GeForce 9800 GTX
4Gb DDR2 Dual-Channel RAM
Windows Vista Ultimate 64-Bit

Sponsored links

(02-28-2009, 09:17 PM)Zephyr618 Wrote: How can I make my processor more stable so that I don't have to continuously reboot my comp?

Buy a faster processor? Maybe buy better cooling?

Overclocking is always a question of pushing limits. If you've tested a particular configuration (2.7Ghz) and it crashes consistently after 30 minutes, then quite simply your processor is not capable of that overclock, at least with your current cooling solution. I assume you're using some sort of temp monitoring... is the cpu exceeding thermal specs (Tcase = 65degC for that chip) at that clock, or is it crashing for some other reason? I assume that in addition to playing with frequencies you've also adjusted core voltages and/or memory timings to match (see one of the bazillions of overclocking guides out there for details if you haven't).

Bottom line of the story is that the Q6xxx series of processors are not really particularly good at overclocking (as compared to the Q9xxx series, which themselves are not particularly good when compared to the dual cores like the E8400). I have a QX6700 (2.66Ghz) myself, and I run it stock, and even with water cooling, it generates so much heat under full load even at stock frequencies and voltages that I really don't dare overclock it.
i7 930 @ 3.8GHz/6GB DDR-3-1600 8-8-8-24/ATI HD5770-1GB/Win 7 Pro SP1 64 bit
The temperature never went too high so I'm assuming it is not the problem. I have heard that messing with voltages is likely to lead to a fried cpu so no, I haven't messed with the voltages.I've actually heard of people successfully OCing their Q6600 processors to 3.4Ghz. It was that and several other stories of successful overclocking that made me want to buy it. It should be noted that it doesn't crash after exactly 30 minutes but rather all of the crashes that I have encountered have been after 30 minutes of playing. Also the crashes are not happening when the processor goes under a heavy load, just random times.
Intel Q6600 @ 2.8Ghz (Can't get it any higher)
nVidia GeForce 9800 GTX
4Gb DDR2 Dual-Channel RAM
Windows Vista Ultimate 64-Bit
Well your first mistake is asking about overclocking on THIS forum... Indeed, the Q6600 can overclock very well. You can easily get 3GHz on any Q6600 chip.

What I suggest you do is go to a different forum that's dedicated to overclocking, and ask for help there. There are a few forums out there that will be able to help you OC your chip.

With stock cooling, you should do fine up to 3GHz. Good Luck, and send me a PM if you need further help.
[Image: a0iic2.png]
Vista Home Premium 64-bit | E8500 @4.2GHz (526x8) ~1.30V
Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3P | 4Gb 1066mhz Corsair XMS2
Radeon HD 4850 OC 10% | 1.14TB (640+500gb) WDC
Antec Nine Hundred | Antec Earthwatts 500w
...something else, for OC, you'll need good RAM, good PSU, & of all MB capable for that! So, ...better buy something faster!

Cheers...

P.S.: ...if you fcuk up your rig, you won't have anything, ...now you have something, keep it safe...
AMD FX-8350
4x 4GB DDR3 2400MHz
AMD Radeon R9 Fury X
(02-28-2009, 09:17 PM)Zephyr618 Wrote: I'm using a Q6600. To those of you who don't know, it is a quad core processor that runs at 2.4Ghz. This is a problem because PCSX2 only uses 2 cores. To run games at full speed, I have to OC it to around 2.7Ghz. Unfortunately, it becomes unstable this high. My comp will crash after 30 minutes of straight playing. How can I make my processor more stable so that I don't have to continuously reboot my comp?

overclock.net, xtremesystems.org

Search around there for q6600, should find some stuff.

But just to throw out some semi-useful info; most Q6600 should be able to hit 3.0 with a moddest voltage bump (I'd say no more than 1.45v in bios, LLC off. @ 24/7)

Try and keep your temps under 70c at load, those quads will run a little hotter than the typical dual core. (It's even worse for i7, they run ~90 and some even at tjmax ~100-105c when OC'd; hell im using a TRUE 120/Cpu&HSF Lapped/2 100cfm fans in push/pull and still hit 60c @ 4-4.2g). But for ~Your~ CPU, stock HSF or a semi-decent retail HSF should work fine.

Again it shouldn't be a hard OC for 3.0ghz, and you should Not be crashing every 30min. That most definately points to a voltage prob either on the CPU or NB possibly even something else (although doubtful at your current OC)

GL.
(02-28-2009, 09:17 PM)Zephyr618 Wrote: I'm using a Q6600. To those of you who don't know, it is a quad core processor that runs at 2.4Ghz. This is a problem because PCSX2 only uses 2 cores. To run games at full speed, I have to OC it to around 2.7Ghz. Unfortunately, it becomes unstable this high. My comp will crash after 30 minutes of straight playing. How can I make my processor more stable so that I don't have to continuously reboot my comp?

Overclocking can screw up your computer if you push it 2 far.
(03-02-2009, 10:49 AM)Trigun Wrote: (It's even worse for i7, they run ~90 and some even at tjmax ~100-105c when OC'd; hell im using a TRUE 120/Cpu&HSF Lapped/2 100cfm fans in push/pull and still hit 60c @ 4-4.2g).

That's not true. TJmax is 100, and CPU will shut down if it reaches that temp as a security measure, so no one OC's to 100 - 105.

85c is too hot for under 100% load. But as you said, keeping them around 70 - 75 under 100% load is best, going over that it's getting a bit too toasty and the chip will die out pretty quick.

And yeah, BSODs or hardlocks are due to a lack of voltages.
.:Intel Core i7 Extreme 965 OC'ed @ 4Ghz - EVGA X58 SLI - Corsair 6GB @ 1600Mhz 9-9-9-24 - 2xEVGA GTX 285 1GB OC'ed @ 680/1548/1270Mhz in SLI - Dell UltraSharp 24" - Corsair HX1000W PSU - Noctua NH-U12P SE1366 - Antec 900
.OhmyCZ Vertex 250GB SSD 200/160MB/s read/write - Samsung F1 1TB
.:Windows 7 x64
(03-02-2009, 01:58 PM)Cody900 Wrote:
(03-02-2009, 10:49 AM)Trigun Wrote: (It's even worse for i7, they run ~90 and some even at tjmax ~100-105c when OC'd; hell im using a TRUE 120/Cpu&HSF Lapped/2 100cfm fans in push/pull and still hit 60c @ 4-4.2g).

That's not true. TJmax is 100, and CPU will shut down if it reaches that temp as a security measure, so no one OC's to 100 - 105.

85c is too hot for under 100% load. But as you said, keeping them around 70 - 75 under 100% load is best, going over that it's getting a bit too toasty and the chip will die out pretty quick.

And yeah, BSODs or hardlocks are due to a lack of voltages.

Not trying to argue, just give you some headsup.

1. The i7 will throttle at those temps before shutting down.

2. TJMAX is not a definite value, it varies CPU to CPU, and even from Core to Core. And as the i7 uses a DTS to measure core temps this applies.

Quote from UncleWebb Dev of RealTemp:
Quote:Intel says that Distance to TJMax data coming from the on chip sensors will vary by plus or minus 10%. For every 1 degree change in core temperature, the DTS data will change by an average of 0.9 to 1.1 is how they stated it.

So far they have told us about that problem as well as the fact that TJMax varies by an unknown number of degrees from one processor to the next. They may have released some fixed TJ Targets for users to argue about but you can't pick up a processor, look at the model number and then look up what the actual TJMax is. It varies from one CPU to the next.

3. I've had as much as 5c difference between my cores via coretemp/realtemp, using cooldown test from 100% to 0% load shows it wasn't due to slope error in particular. It was static 5c all the way down. Indicating a TJMAX variance, I actually have my realtemp calibrated at 100,105,100,101 ATM to even the cores out.

4. I've read where several people that have ran at 95-100c using CoreDamage/OCCT/IBT/other LinPack derivatives etc.. on the stock HSF.

Again just a friendly FYI.
Ninja
It'll only throttle down the multiplier if you keep SpeedStep enabled, which really sucks so it's better to turn it off. Tongue

All the Tjmaxes I've seen, again on the EVGA forums in the X58 SLI section, which only supports i7s, their Tjmaxes have all been 100. The 965 and 920 are at least, dunno about the 940 but why would it be different... And I was responding to the i7 comment he made, I know all CPUs are different, I only meant i7s.

I fail to see how Tjmax affects your core temp cool down rate. If you have TurboMode enabled with stock multiplier, then it adds 2 clocks to the first core and 1 to the rest, so ~5 degree difference in first core is normal. But yeah I know they're different, my first and third core are 5c different than 2,4. First I know of because of of TM, but I have no idea why my third core is hotter. Your temps heat up, and they'll still stay the same distance apart, and they still will stay that 5 degree difference when cooling down too. Not sure why max temp has anything to do with that.

95 - 100 yeah, cause Tjmax is 100 (from what I've seen). But going over 100 is what I was doubting. On a separate note, why would anyone push their temp up to 100 on purpose? Unless they were working at Intel actually testing the core at those temperatures or something. Seems like a bit of a waste as i7s are still expensive.
.:Intel Core i7 Extreme 965 OC'ed @ 4Ghz - EVGA X58 SLI - Corsair 6GB @ 1600Mhz 9-9-9-24 - 2xEVGA GTX 285 1GB OC'ed @ 680/1548/1270Mhz in SLI - Dell UltraSharp 24" - Corsair HX1000W PSU - Noctua NH-U12P SE1366 - Antec 900
.OhmyCZ Vertex 250GB SSD 200/160MB/s read/write - Samsung F1 1TB
.:Windows 7 x64