Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How can I change/remove/mute background music in Grandia 3 by editing the ISO?
Hi all, thanks a lot for your awesome work here!

I have this issue with a few PS2 games : They have no volume control fro the background music, and the music drives me insane!

Specifically, I'm playing Grandia 3 which I' enjoying quit a lot. However the repetitive battle and shop music is just too much for such a long game and I often have to turn the sound off when in combat or in a shop.

After 50 hours of play , it has become very irritating, and sometimes I can barely think straight when playing unless I turn the thing down or off.

There must be a way to get to the music files in the ISO and change them... the tracks are packed in a weird format though, unlike the cutscenes which are just standard movie files.

I'm familiar with sound editing and I 'm thinking of just loading the offending music files in a sound editor and just changing their volume level to 0.

SO my question is how do I deal with those music files and then how do I repack the ISO?

When i look in , there is a Music folder with a 598MB file called GR3_STR.STZ , followed by a lot of small files with the .SE extension, which i assume are the sound effects.
I guess all the music is packed into this STZ file...

I know it's possible since people make ISO repacks with original audio files, etc...

Sponsored links

What I can positively say is: even if you manage to do what you want, that would change a lot of things including the CRC. I really can't say how it could affect the general experience.
Imagination is where we are truly real
Common problem with RPGs that feature the same battle music (FF10 bugs me). The only RPG I know that doesn't have this issue is TWEWY.

It gets irritating hearing BABY BABY BABY BABY BABY BABY BABY BABY BABY for the 500th time.

Only advice I can give is just mute the game and turn on your favorite playlist while you grind.
I remember this game, and the terribly repetitive, insanity-driving music in it. On the PS2 I just turned the volume down all the way except during dialogue/cutscenes. It would be cool if you could remove the background music, though, perhaps it would even speed up the game... maybe.
Gigabyte GA-Z77M-D3H-MVP micro ATX Intel motherboard
Intel Core i5 3570K processor @3.4 GHz
Patriot G2 Series 8 GB DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800)
Sapphire Radeon HD7870XT 2GB GDDR5 RAM
Patriot Pyro SATA III 120 GB SSD
Corsair GS 600W PSU
Biggrin Glad I'm not the only one with this problem... I have a love/hate relationship with Japanese games.... and really hope we can get some RPGs with adults in them, and a volume control for the music! I basically didn't bother to get into Xenoblade for this reason, despite all the high ratings. It had some "epic" music looping around while in the home world area, and that was enough for me to say No Thanks.

Grandia has the best combat system for turn-based gameplay... A real shame the developer is no longer with us .

I was thinking what I want to do must be possible via the same process people use to undub games, and much easier?
Turning down the sound kills a lot of the fun because you don't get the cool sound effects in battle...
Hopefully someone who knows how to do that will eventually reply to this thread. I really liked the game, but truly, the music nearly drove me insane, and I will feel good knowing the same won't happen to you, if someone figures this out...
Gigabyte GA-Z77M-D3H-MVP micro ATX Intel motherboard
Intel Core i5 3570K processor @3.4 GHz
Patriot G2 Series 8 GB DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800)
Sapphire Radeon HD7870XT 2GB GDDR5 RAM
Patriot Pyro SATA III 120 GB SSD
Corsair GS 600W PSU