How do I get Dragon Quest VIII to run (and look) decently ?
(04-11-2016, 09:54 PM)Xeraser Wrote: I seriously hope you DON'T know what you're talking about. The G3258 is not even in the same league as the 3570K. 
Ultra blending is the only one that runs below 60 FPS and cutscenes somehow fixed themselves now. Text still looks like ass.

my specs  much much less and the game runs 60fps all the time at 3x in opengl basic blend, hw depth, accurate data and GSDX shader on... ultrabending is for  debuging to boot, and text looks like that cause the scaling, dont like it use native res.

Sponsored links

I've had issues with DQVIII at above 2x res while on a Radeon 6870 and an i5-3470. Upgrading my GPU to an r9 280 allowed me to bump it up to 3-4x native without slowdown.

The hacks I remember using were an offset one that fixes the text at above native res. There's also a sprite hack (I'm sorry i'm so vague I don't have pcsx2 in front of me so I can't remember the exact names) that fixes some of the menu elements. Regardless of the settings I used I always got some flickering textures on random polygons in the distance at above native res. I also remember setting skipdraw to 1 fixes some shadow issues.

I'm not sure if the recent OpenGL upgrades have fixed those or not
**EDIT: I'm not overly concerned with how pretty the game is: I just want it to RUN with only -occasional- slowdown instead of the slowdown that's happening every thirty-or-so seconds.

Rather than start a new thread, I thought I'd post my own woes in this one which doubly frustrate me because I somehow managed to get the game to run spectacularly with an inferior graphics card to the one I have now.  But, when the hard drive I had all my emulators and other junk saved on decided to give up the ghost, I lost whatever settings I had and I can't for the life of me figure out how to get the game to run well again.  The GPU is the only hardware I've changed since I last tried to play DQ8.

My system specs are:

CPU:  AMD A10-5800K (4 cores at ~3.8Ghz each)
RAM:  8 GB DDR5 RAM
GPU:  AMD R9 380

I've fiddled around will the graphics settings in PCSX2 1.4.0 to no avail.  Here's a screenshot of what they are right now:

http://imgur.com/2sSm2s8

Here's a screenshot of what the top-of-the-window numbers look like when the action is grinding to a halt:

http://imgur.com/ItfCrdU

It's been happening frequently, but it only started recently.  I expect occasional slowdown, but up until today, it would happen only very infrequently, and typically only for a few seconds during cutscenes.  I've tried rebooting and fiddling with some of the settings, but I by no means know my way around PCSX2 the same way I do, say, NEStopia or ZSNES, so I was leery of trying to change too much because I'm not confident I could fix it if I broke it.

If I need to provide further information, I will do my best to come up with it.  I greatly appreciate any help you can offer!
(05-03-2016, 04:47 AM)Terminusvitae Wrote: **EDIT:  I'm not overly concerned with how pretty the game is:  I just want it to RUN with only -occasional- slowdown instead of the slowdown that's happening every thirty-or-so seconds.

Rather than start a new thread, I thought I'd post my own woes in this one which doubly frustrate me because I somehow managed to get the game to run spectacularly with an inferior graphics card to the one I have now.  But, when the hard drive I had all my emulators and other junk saved on decided to give up the ghost, I lost whatever settings I had and I can't for the life of me figure out how to get the game to run well again.  The GPU is the only hardware I've changed since I last tried to play DQ8.

My system specs are:

CPU:  AMD A10-5800K (4 cores at ~3.8Ghz each)
RAM:  8 GB DDR5 RAM
GPU:  AMD R9 380

I've fiddled around will the graphics settings in PCSX2 1.4.0 to no avail.  Here's a screenshot of what they are right now:

http://imgur.com/2sSm2s8

Here's a screenshot of what the top-of-the-window numbers look like when the action is grinding to a halt:

http://imgur.com/ItfCrdU

It's been happening frequently, but it only started recently.  I expect occasional slowdown, but up until today, it would happen only very infrequently, and typically only for a few seconds during cutscenes.  I've tried rebooting and fiddling with some of the settings, but I by no means know my way around PCSX2 the same way I do, say, NEStopia or ZSNES, so I was leery of trying to change too much because I'm not confident I could fix it if I broke it.

If I need to provide further information, I will do my best to come up with it.  I greatly appreciate any help you can offer!
please open your own thread.
Thanks
CPU : AMD Ryzen 7 3800X
Mobo : Asus PRIME B450-PLUS
GPU : NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070
RAM : 16 Go
Er, sorry. Most of the forums I visit frown upon having multiple threads open for a single problem. My apologies.