How do I get Dragon Quest VIII to run (and look) decently ?
I've tried many times in the past 3 years but I've always suffered from quite an awful lot of slowdowns, graphical glitches and audio issues (small pops, crackling, slowdowns) 
Not to mention that I have the PAL version of the game (hooray for 50 FPS /sarcasm) 

I've always used DX11 (HW) + XAudio2 and the emulation settings are set to Safe (2)

Is there a recommended config or something ?

Specs:

CPU: i5 3570K @4.7 GHz
GPU: GTX 780 Ti Matrix Platinum (+20/40 core/memory)
RAM: 4x8GB Corsair Vengeance Pro @1866 MHz
Motherboard: P8Z77-V LX2

Sponsored links

what do the ee% & gs % say when you get slowdowns ?
did you push internal res higher than 3x native ?
did you make an iso off your DVD ?
CPU : AMD Ryzen 7 3800X
Mobo : Asus PRIME B450-PLUS
GPU : NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070
RAM : 16 Go
(04-11-2016, 02:27 PM)jesalvein Wrote: what do the ee% & gs % say when you get slowdowns ?
did you push internal res higher than 3x native ?
did you make an iso off your DVD ?

How do I check the percentages ?
And no, always used 1/2/3x native.
And yeah, tried loading the ISO and loading it from the DVD directly. I might just go "get" the NTSC version if I can have it at 60 FPS.
(04-11-2016, 02:34 PM)Xeraser Wrote: How do I check the percentages ?
And yeah, tried loading the ISO and loading it from the DVD directly. I might just go "get" the NTSC version if I can have it at 60 FPS.

that won't change a single thing.
You can check the percentages @ the top of gsdx window while playing
(04-11-2016, 02:39 PM)jesalvein Wrote: that won't change a single thing.
You can check the percentages @ the top of gsdx window while playing

As in the window's title ? yeeah, about that.. I disabled them since they cause issues with custom windows themes. The screenshot isn't mine but it's the same issue. http://i.imgur.com/s8BMDZi.jpg
(04-11-2016, 02:42 PM)Xeraser Wrote: As in the window's title ? yeeah, about that.. I disabled them since they cause issues with custom windows themes. The screenshot isn't mine but it's the same issue. http://i.imgur.com/s8BMDZi.jpg

Aw.
sorry for you then.
Back to your PS2 for now...
(04-11-2016, 02:50 PM)jesalvein Wrote: Aw.
sorry for you then.
Back to your PS2 for now...

Is there another way to view them ? And I'm pretty sure they just drop.
(04-11-2016, 02:34 PM)Xeraser Wrote: How do I check the percentages ?
The game doesn't run at 60 fps, neither does the PAL game run at 50 fps. The PAL version runs at 25 fps, the NTSC at 30. 50/60 fps is the emulation speed, not the speed of the game.
Besides, "getting" a different version of a game is illegal and you won't get any further support.

It should actually be possible to get the game to run at 60fps with a hack/pnach, but even then that's only worth it if you can run the game stably at over 200/240% with the framelimiter(f4) off. And you're already having slowdown at the current 100%.
(04-11-2016, 02:55 PM)FlatOut Wrote: The game doesn't run at 60 fps, neither does the PAL game run at 50 fps. The PAL version runs at 25 fps, the NTSC at 30. 50/60 fps is the emulation speed, not the speed of the game.
Besides, "getting" a different version of a game is illegal and you won't get any further support.

It should actually be possible to get the game to run at 60fps with a hack/pnach, but even then that's only worth it if you can run the game stably at over 200/240% with the framelimiter(f4) off. And you're already having slowdown at the current 100%.

So I'm basically F'd ?
(04-11-2016, 03:00 PM)Xeraser Wrote: So I'm basically F'd ?
According to the wiki page you should be able to run the game without many slowdowns:
An old report from the PAL version:
"Full FPS nearly everywhere in 1280x1280 in Rev 2523. Oddly enough, 8-bit textures slow down the PAL version a little bit, so make sure to turn them off! All other hacks were turned on full blast (except VU skipping was only 2x)"

So be sure to enable speedhacks to improve performance.