How do I make games look as close to the real consoles a s possible?
I am using PCSX2 1.4.0 downloaded from the main site. I don't care about enhancing the graphics, and I know the graphics on an emulator will never look exactly like they do on the real console. But I just want the games I play on PCSX2 to look as much like they do on the original console as possible. I also know certain games require specific settings to render certain effects, but please overlook that issue in this post. I just need a general setup that will make the majority of the games look as close as possible to the way they did back in the day on the original hardware. I would also like to know which back-end I should use. Open GL or D3D 11 hardware or software. I would also like to know which version of the GSDX plugin I Should use.  Avx, sse, etc. I will list my PC specs below. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

PC Specs:
Processor Intel® Core™ i5-4460 CPU @ 3.20GHz
Speed 3.2 GHz
Number of Cores 4
Instructions sets MMX, SSE, SSE2, SSE3, SSSE3, SSE4.1, SSE4.2, EM64T, VT-x, AES, AVX, AVX2,

Memory
RAM 8.0 GB

Video Card
Video Card NVIDIA GeForce GT 720
Dedicated Memory 2.0 GB
Total Memory 4.0 GB
Pixel Shader Version 5.0
Vertex Shader Version 5.0
Hardware T & L Yes
Driver Version 10.18.13.6881

Operating System
Operating System Microsoft Windows 10 (build 14393), 64-bit
Service Pack 0
Size 64-bit
Edition
Version 10.0.14393

Sponsored links

latest stable pcsx2 + default settings
CPU : AMD Ryzen 7 3800X
Mobo : Asus PRIME B450-PLUS
GPU : NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070
RAM : 16 Go
Even with default settings,pcsx2 looks better compared to the ps2.
I made some example pictures long time ago(no idea in what thread here)comparing FF12 on pcsx2(default settings)and on my PS2.
(10-13-2016, 04:38 PM)vsub Wrote: Even with default settings,pcsx2 looks better compared to the ps2.
I made some example pictures long time ago(no idea in what thread here)comparing FF12 on pcsx2(default settings)and on my PS2.
I'd say the majority look slightly worse on PCSX2 than on PS2.
Apart from the forced full screen filtering - was that fixed by the way? - I don't remember much difference between pcsx2 and ps2.
(10-13-2016, 04:42 PM)FlatOut Wrote: I'd say the majority look slightly worse on PCSX2 than on PS2.

I guess you mean when using Software mode or native resolution? Because upscaled games look infinite times better on PCSX2.
(10-13-2016, 05:27 PM)prafull Wrote: I guess you mean when using Software mode or native resolution? Because upscaled games look infinite times better on PCSX2.
Yes, I meant software mode or native resolution with default settings. Once you start enhancing the settings in hardware mode, it's usually possible to make it look better than PS2.
(10-13-2016, 05:13 PM)K.F Wrote: Apart from the forced full screen filtering - was that fixed by the way? - I don't remember much difference between pcsx2 and ps2.

There is an option on linux :Tongue2   Hidden in windows.
Just use software mode with edge AA and mipmapping enabled. Maybe a crt shader or something.
(10-13-2016, 05:41 PM)FlatOut Wrote: Yes, I meant software mode or native resolution with default settings. Once you start enhancing the settings in hardware mode, it's usually possible to make it look better than PS2.

that cause ps2 was made of CRT not LCD that display only one resolution it default everything else is scaled, which why  ps2/ps/genesis/nes/snes/etc etc look much better on 32in CRT then 32in LCD cause on LCD they look like utter trash using there native game res.