How do you fix game-bugs?
Great reply! I agree with the others saying that it would make a good dev blog.

I especially would love to know more about the clever approach/voodoo utilized for the DMAC.

Just wanted to say once more, thanks so much for all that you guys do in this project. The ingenuity of the dev team is really inspiring.
Endlessly inspired by emulation
MMA t-shirts

Sponsored links

(01-13-2010, 04:22 PM)Alfer Wrote: I especially would love to know more about the clever approach/voodoo utilized for the DMAC.

i have to say i don't find much cleverness in the dmac code.

first of all there is no dmac, for some reason this huge component was decided to not be emulated, so we have a million hacks to simulate behavior in order to get most games to run.

second most of the code is duplicated, messy, and bloated.

basically the real dmac on the ps2 has different 'channels' for transferring memory to different units of the ps2..
its these channel transfers that are simulated by pcsx2; but the dmac unit as a whole is not even attempted in pcsx2.

imo, this is the worst part of pcsx2 and pretty much most us devs agree it needs to be rewritten eventually.
i guess if i do find some cleverness, its in the ability to code something so wrong and still have it run games Laugh
Check out my blog: Trashcan of Code
damn, ps2 is a really complex piece of hardware, has to pretty challenging to develop for as well Wink