How does my X2 Roll?
So how should my 300$ pc cope with PCSX2?Wacko

AMD 6000+ @ 3259MHZ
4GB G.Skill @ 810MHZ
MSI 260 GTX @ 655MHZ

I believe im covered GPU wise but will my CPU do ok?

What resolutions do you guys usually run games in? what is recommended? due to having such a strong gpu what added effects will i be able to use such as AF/AA etc?

Iv got Kingdom Hearts 1 to start out with...would i be able to run it full screen on my 22" @ 1680x1050? or would it look better on my 20" @ 1280x1024

Or do you just run games via a set resolution with black cropped bars?

Do you guys have some benchmarks on PCSX2's cpu usage? whats the minimum for decent performance etc...

Im about to throw together a cheap 200$ build...

AMD 4400+ OC'd via software @ 2.6GHZ
4GB Corsair @ 800mhz
MSI 4870 512MB

And it will run off of a 1280x1024 monitor but im not sure what size atm...would the CPU be limiting it alot?

Does PCSX2 take advantage of quad cpus very well? is there much of an improvement between 2-4 cores?

Sorry for asking so many questionsTongue

Sponsored links

you would be able to run kh with that rig that you have. Smile

and no pcsx2 doesn't use 4 cores BUT you can use gsdx software mode with 2 threads on a quad core. Smile
Windows 7 64bit
Intel Pentium Dual-Core E5200 OC to 3.6GHz, Intel GMA x4500, 1GB DDR2

NinjaMight just work on next guideNinja
Can anyone else answer some of my other questionsUnsure

Thanks for the post...after looking at some of the sigs here it would seem i would be on the high end of possible emulationRolleyes
AMD 6000+ @ 7% OC
4GB G.Skill @ 800MHZ
MSI 260 GTX 896MB @ 655 MHZ
Windows XP 64/Windows 7 7077 64-Bit
Well, I've got the same cpu. The cpu is a pain in the ass when it comes to oc. So, don't expect too much. But many games are playable with some speedhacks. (only sse2 sucks, too).

But it's okay.
| i7 860 2.8@4ghz | Scythe Mugen 2 Rev.B | Asus Maximus Formula III | G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Gigabyte | 570 GTX AMP! | Enermax 720w PSU | X-Fi Titan | OCZ Vertex 120 GB |
It was free so i can't complainWub

Iv managed around 300 extra MHZ out of it so far...i just need to find out the best combination of settings in my bios....im running a gateway motherboard and it actually supports overclockingOhmy so iv been testing the water quite a bit...

What % of your 6000+ is used when running pcsx2? what are your 100% load temps as well as the cpu cooler you are using?

Sorry im trying to square away a few problems with this abysmally hot cpu...

Does the CPU hold up rather well?

And what exactly do you mean by "sse2 sucks" i believe i know what sse2 is just what is it hindering?

And i thought i was spending a bit to much going for my GTX 260...i see you went with a 280 but you are running it on a 6000+...shouldn't you have upgraded the proc/mobo and went with a lesser gpu?Huh im seeing the definition of bottleneck quite clearlyMellow
AMD 6000+ @ 7% OC
4GB G.Skill @ 800MHZ
Well, it depends on the game what load it has. But mostly all games are somewhat playable.

My x2 6000+ is oced to 3270 (15.5*211) and stable. I'm using the Asus Silent knight II and my temps are under load ~55-60°.

And well, sse2 compared to sse4 sucks yea, cuz it's kinda slow compared to each. But as I said most of the games are playable.

Well, I got my 280GTX as a present so it was free ;p. I'll upgrade my mobo/cpu next month to Intel. So It's okay Wink
| i7 860 2.8@4ghz | Scythe Mugen 2 Rev.B | Asus Maximus Formula III | G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Gigabyte | 570 GTX AMP! | Enermax 720w PSU | X-Fi Titan | OCZ Vertex 120 GB |
I have the same processor OC'd to 3.2ghz. (Anything higher and it just dies)

You actually have a pretty good selection of games with it from what I've tried.

Kingdom Hearts runs at full speed (Though some wider areas might cause slowdowns), Kingdom Hearts 2 finally plays at near full speed (Menus are a bit slow, though) with the latest versions. Final Fantasy X was running at near full speeds (stupid thunder plains glitch was the only problem) back when I had a AMD processor at 2.4 Ghz, so now it's even closer to full speed. With this latest version you'll also be surprised to find Final Fantasy XII to also be much closer to full speed - though graphics problems seemed to have gotten worse (at least in my case).

There's quite a few more, as long as you experiment with the speed hacks and such, you could have a decent selection

As far as resolutions, I can't help ya. GSDX doesn't work well with my ATi graphics card, or at least I've been told (I can't find any other reason), so I just use Zero's; which means resolutions are pointless as far as speed goes.
Thanks for the input guysHappy

Glad to know your running slightly above my temps this cpu gets a little hot if my fans aren't setup optimally...at this point with bad cooling and iv probably messed up the thermal compound at full load i stay below 55 and hover at 50...idle at 30 which is verrry nice...

At this point the system only needs to get me along a month or two and by then il go for a nice hefty 4 core phenom at 4ghz+ on air...now that is a dreamHappy
AMD 6000+ @ 7% OC
4GB G.Skill @ 800MHZ
(04-17-2009, 10:11 PM)Rewindlabs Wrote: Thanks for the input guysHappy

Glad to know your running slightly above my temps this cpu gets a little hot if my fans aren't setup optimally...at this point with bad cooling and iv probably messed up the thermal compound at full load i stay below 55 and hover at 50...idle at 30 which is verrry nice...

At this point the system only needs to get me along a month or two and by then il go for a nice hefty 4 core phenom at 4ghz+ on air...now that is a dreamHappy

The Phenom II's don't reach 4GHZ+ on air, it's all hype..

The AM3 Phenom II 955... 3.2GHZ stock.. *MIGHT* reach 3.9-4GHZ stable.. But could require a mass amount of voltage.
AMD Phenom II 940 @ 3.6GHZ, 4GB PC8500 @ 1100MHZ, 4870x2 @ Stock.
(04-18-2009, 11:34 AM)Sythedragon Wrote:
(04-17-2009, 10:11 PM)Rewindlabs Wrote: Thanks for the input guysHappy

The Phenom II's don't reach 4GHZ+ on air, it's all hype..

The AM3 Phenom II 955... 3.2GHZ stock.. *MIGHT* reach 3.9-4GHZ stable.. But could require a mass amount of voltage.
Considering 940's can mostly reach shy 200mhz of 4ghz and quite a few iv seen sit nicely at 4ghz and sometimes beyond...the 955 should bring something to the table

Even if they only reached 3ghz i said dream in the same sentence...so im going to dream about finding a 5ghz phenom in a lucid cupcake....yummy

Then again i probably couldn't max out the 940 at 3.5 ghz...my epenis gets jumpy thinking about 4ghz thoughClosedeyes
AMD 6000+ @ 7% OC
4GB G.Skill @ 800MHZ