Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How high can I safely overclock this cpu? (e8400)
Hi! I've just gotten my Pcsx2 rig started.

These forums seem to love the e8400, so I got that.

I've put it in, scoured some overclocking sites and performed a mild FSB increase with a tiny voltage bump.

Here's the CPU-Z info:
[Image: d5fb2b2228.png]

I also bought a cooler with good reviews (DK S-1283) so I was wondering if I can safely go higher.

Here's the temp info (Idle)
[Image: 900e1a06ba.png]

I wonder, could I safely go higher, and if so what Core Voltage etc should I use?
(I'd prefer it to live a normal lifespan, but I can bend that a bit if needed.)

Sponsored links

It can be overclocked much further.

The official maximum operating core temperature for an Intel E8400
is 72.4c but I'd advise you to keep it under 65c @ full load.
Could it reach, say, 4Ghz and still live a relatively normal lifespan?
(If so, what would be a good vcore to set)
Yeah people have been using those at 4 Ghz at like 1,32 volts,which is pretty nice.Consider the absolute max 1,4v,going above that COULD make problems.
You're pretty lucky there,my E8400 needs about 1,3v to go to 3,6 Ghz Sad
Oh and moved to off-topic
[Image: newsig.jpg]
(01-19-2009, 09:42 AM)dedica Wrote: Could it reach, say, 4Ghz
Yes. I've seen it done, but wouldn't recommend it.
Quote:and still live a relatively normal lifespan?
And this is why. The biggest problem with large overclocks is there's an every-increasing risk of the CPU straight-up dieing the moment you turn it on.

The vcore you find by bumping up in very small increments until it's stable. Finding other people that have done it and posted the settings is useful, but it's a lot of testing either way.

Bottom line is don't go doing big overclocks if you don't have the means to replace the processor if (when Tongue ) you fry it. Not having a processor running at 4Ghz sucks, but not having a processor that runs at all sucks more.
"This thread should be closed immediately, it causes parallel imagination and multiprocess hallucination" --ardhi
Yes intel c2d or c2q like with low volt to push high as possible rather than high volt. Give much volt possible make CPU to degradation and suffer. I saw lately intel c2d or c2q can not gain higher overclock compare to old day. Is that a degradetion?? Who know?
Notebook ASUS A43TA|CPU AMD Llano APU A6-3400m Triple core (1 core disable) OC to 2.6+Ghz|GPU CF|HD 6520 400Mhz/667Mhz iGPU|HD6650M OC 780Mhz/985Mhz dGPU|RAM 8GB DDR3 1333|Windows 7 Ultimate Sp.1 x64 bit.
>> Emulation speed differs for each game. There will be some you can run fast easily, but others will simply require more powerfull hardware <<.
Much thanks for all the information. Very helpful stuff.

I guess I lucked out a bit on this e0 revision? Tongue

So is 4 Ghz at 1.32 safe for a near-normal lifespan or no?
As far as I know perfectly safe,unless you want to keep it for 10 years or so Tongue
[Image: newsig.jpg]
Running an 8400 (also e0 stepping) at 4.32Ghz with 1.4V here.
I expect it lasts about 4-5 years at least Smile
meh, most thing run fine at stock speed so I prefer to not overclock.
And each time I see pcsx2 crashing I'm suspecting the overclock,
which mean I never keep the overclocking for a long time.

Also, from what I've heard the absolute max vcore with no degradation
is 1.3625 v. I still prefer to stay far from this limit.
I can reach 3.8 ghz. But I use the smart auto - overclock feature
of gibabyte motherboard (called cia2), that overclock only when the cpu load reach 100%.

From where I live it's not easy to buy an E8400 (not just about money) , so I prefer to stay safe.