Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How long does it take to be a good coder?
Question 
I'm learning Java about a month now. I love Java but I can't understand OOP stuff like polymorism (or something similar to it Tongue2 ) and such and I always forget the uses and the values of long, short, double and byte. So, I became frustrated and I didn't read the book for a while and I was wondering how long does it take to be a good coder because of the complex stuff.

Sponsored links

As long as it takes, that is the only answer i can give.

Everybody learns at their own speed. All i can suggest is find something that you want to learn how to do and do it until you fully understand how its built up and such. Just remember its unlikely you will be able to throw out what youve learnt without referencing something for a very long time. I still cant make a windows application from scratch without using the wizard or some means of reference as i still never remember all the variables and things you have to initialize ;p

You will improve over time, just dont rush it and make sure you learn things properly, make little programs as you go along Smile
[Image: ref_sig_anim.gif]
Like our Facebook Page and visit our Facebook Group!
Yeah I not on a rush unlike when I was learning C Tongue .
There's a difference between being an experienced programmer and a good programmer. You can know all the tricks and have every little detail memorized but you can still forget how to keep your code clean or you might do things in a round a bout way.

Just practice thoroughly.
i5 520m :: ATI 5650 (700, 900) :: Samsun 830 128GB SSD:: 8GB (2x4GB) RAM
a life time.
Definitely go back to your book and learn what a double, float or long int are.
These are the basics for any programming task (no matter the language).
Knowing your way around these basics is a solid foundation for whatever you'll eventually stick with.
IMO when you're first learning it's easy to try to skip the basics and get to the real "meat" of the language. Do not skip the basics. It is so important to learn those basics because they're often used in other languages and you'll kick yourself later if you don't know.
i5 520m :: ATI 5650 (700, 900) :: Samsun 830 128GB SSD:: 8GB (2x4GB) RAM
Thanks for the tips Smile . I've just finished reading the basics and I was amazed because I forgot many important notes.
When you can write hello world in assembly. Bonus points if you do for a 6502.
(04-29-2011, 07:28 PM)Default Wrote: I'm learning Java about a month now. I love Java but I can't understand OOP stuff like polymorism (or something similar to it Tongue2 ) and such and I always forget the uses and the values of long, short, double and byte. So, I became frustrated and I didn't read the book for a while and I was wondering how long does it take to be a good coder because of the complex stuff.

it depends on what you mean by "good coder."
to get the basics down probably takes ~2 years. at that point you should have some decent understanding of programming (but you'll still be a noob compared to good coders). from there you want to look into working on some bigger project and try and learn from other people's code.

after that it really just depends on how seriously you take programming and if you have talent for it. some people will never be good coders. a good coder loves programming and continually improves his/her skills.
in this sense i agree with what squall said, it takes a life-time.

if you like programming and keep wanting to improve your skills, then you might become a good coder in the future. i have some classmates that seem scared of programming and are baffled by some of the programming lectures, these people will never be good coders.
oh also people that rely on school to teach them everything about coding will also not be good coders. good coders learn on their own and go beyond what school teaches.

(04-29-2011, 09:32 PM)Hungry Man Wrote: There's a difference between being an experienced programmer and a good programmer. You can know all the tricks and have every little detail memorized but you can still forget how to keep your code clean or you might do things in a round a bout way.

yes i agree with this.
Check out my blog: Trashcan of Code