Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How to become a coder
Yeah, I'm curious...

Do PCSX2 coders learn their stuff from college/university or do they teach themselves? And is it intensively complex, or easy once you get the hang of it?

But more to the point, if I were interested in becoming a coder - and I'll admit I am to some extent - where would I begin the process?

Cheers.

Yay for random questions >.>;;?

Sponsored links

You can start form somethin very simple, like Microsoft Visual Basic Smile
Phenom 1055T x6 3.5GHz ; nVidia GTS 250; 6Gb RAM; Windows 7 x64
What is that? An educational program? A medium for coding, a language?

Yes, I am aware google is at my fingertips, but I believe using such would defeat any purpose for discussion.
(01-11-2009, 03:32 PM)Rouvias Wrote: Yeah, I'm curious...

Do PCSX2 coders learn their stuff from college/university or do they teach themselves? And is it intensively complex, or easy once you get the hang of it?

But more to the point, if I were interested in becoming a coder - and I'll admit I am to some extent - where would I begin the process?

Cheers.

Yay for random questions >.>;;?

I'm not a PCSX2 dev (no time Sad ), but I'm still a coder. So I think I'm qualified.

I learned in college, though I met many people who started much younger. It's possible to teach yourself, but taking classes is a much better (and faster) method. It's one thing to be able to read a book/document and understand what it says, it's another to be able to discuss in person with someone who knows it as well.

As to if it's complicated, well it really depends on the person. I look at the core of the emulator and understand nearly everything that's going on, I take one look at the graphics/audio plugins and it may as well be written in Chinese. It's voodoo magic as far as I'm concerned.

Learning how to code isn't all that difficult, learning what to code is. It's the difference between knowing how to paint and being able to paint a masterpiece, some people have it and some people don't. That's why classes are nice, depending on the college/university you choose you can go very far into the Comp Sci field.
If you're of appropriate age and have the time, I'd highly suggest taking a class at a local community college (or going for a full-blown CS degree). They are usually very very affordable, and having a solid foundation is essential to teaching yourself further. As for a language to start with, I'd go with C. C++ is pretty much the same thing when you're just learning to program, so either is fine.
"This thread should be closed immediately, it causes parallel imagination and multiprocess hallucination" --ardhi
Yes I agree with Summoner. Microsoft Visual Basic is essential for beginner. This was my first programming subject when I was in college and if you know the concept of the VB, you can easily understand the other programming languages.
Im completely self taught. I started programming with VB6 (as suggested above) to get my basic programming theory/knowledge, then moved on to C from there learning from http://www.cplusplus.com, from there i've just taught myself and improved under my own steam. Admittedly im still lacking a LOT of knowledge, but it is outweighed by my understanding of how emulation works. It's essential to understand how processors work before you attempt emulation. As with many, i started with a simple Chip8 emulator, this covers all the basic concepts of emulation without being too "heavy" with things like timing and floating point, just simple addition, multiplication, subtraction and division.

Also it is benificial while making a chip8 emulator, to use a library like SDL, this gives you an insight in to using graphics/sound libraries without it being too intensive.
[Image: ref_sig_anim.gif]
Like our Facebook Page and visit our Facebook Group!
at school we started with java coding but i dont know if it is really useful
Admin at:
[Image: logo2sbn.jpg]
(11-19-2010, 03:43 PM)Tamarro Wrote: at school we started with java coding but i dont know if it is really useful
Different languages (and related libraries) have different strengths and weaknesses. But programming is programming. It's a way of thinking and layering logic elements to achieve a certain goal. The programming language is just a tool to put that into practice. Usually a decent programmer can learn another language relatively quickly, if s/he wants to.

Putting 'theological' flame wars aside, Java would be as good as any other language to see if you enjoy programing.

As for learning to code emulation, while I haven't tried it myself, I'd say it requires knowledge and learning beyond what's usually taught formally.

The rest is up to you.

[i7-3630qm/gt650m-2G/Win-7] [i7-4500u/R.HD8850m/Win-8.1] [2010-MBA/OSX-10.9.x]. Scroll smoothly with SmoothWheel for Firefox.
(11-19-2010, 05:33 PM)avih Wrote:
(11-19-2010, 03:43 PM)Tamarro Wrote: at school we started with java coding but i dont know if it is really useful
Different languages (and related libraries) have different strengths and weaknesses. But programming is programming. It's a way of thinking and layering logic elements to achieve a certain goal. The programming language is just a tool to put that into practice. Usually a decent programmer can learn another language relatively quickly, if s/he wants to.

Putting 'theological' flame wars aside, Java would be as good as any other language to see if you enjoy programing.

As for learning to code emulation, while I haven't tried it myself, I'd say it requires knowledge and learning beyond what's usually taught formally.

The rest is up to you.
I've just started so at the moment it's hard for me just to code a simple program that show you how many goal a soccer player has done in a match . I really cant say if i enjoy programming or not... i like it but i have a LOT to learn and it all seems very hard to me so i dont know if i really want to be a programmer
Admin at:
[Image: logo2sbn.jpg]
My OS is windows 7 64 bit and I'd like to learn programming in C++. But no matter what I do it won't work Sad
If someone has my same OS and knows how to make it work please tell me. Thanks!
CPU: AMD Phenom II X2 545 processor
GPU: Nvidia GeForce 9800 GT 650 MHz
Memory: 4GB RAM DDR2