How to detect if graphics card is being used by linux pcsx2?
Hi,

I recently set up pcsx2 from SVN HEAD. I'm running ubuntu 64 bit chroot'd into 32 bit ubuntu (natty) on a 2.4ghz core2quad with NVidia GTS 8800.

I used jockey to install and activate the NVidia drivers for the 32 bit chroot (by running 'xhost +local:' or something similar from the 64 bit one first).

I tried two games so far, Katamari Damacy and FF X. Both run at around 14-20 fps. I tried various configurations but they either crash/have a blank display/or not much speedup.

I read that pcsx2 over wine may be a bit faster so I tried it out.
I used the SSE3 gsdx plugin with SDL Software (all the hardware options including dx crashed for me, and reading up on it suggests WINE isn't ready for that yet).

I got around 45-60 fps fairly consistently. If I understand the gsdx plugin correctly I am using software acceleration which bypasses my graphics card.

So this made me wonder if I configured something wrong to make my linux zzogl GS plugin bypass the graphics card, since I would expect that hardware graphics > software.

Another thing that led me to wonder about this is that over WINE it says in the log that I have a GTS 8800 installed, but there is no mention of it
in native linux. Of course it could be just that zzogl doesn't output that info to the log.

Does anyone have a clue to how I can check if my graphics card is being detected and used correctly?

Here's my linux (native) log below just in case:
Code:
Host Machine Init:
    Operating System =  Linux 2.6.35-27-generic i686
    Physical RAM     =  2011 MB
    CPU name         =  Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Quad CPU    Q6600  @ 2.40GHz
    Vendor/Model     =  GenuineIntel (stepping 0B)
    CPU speed        =  2.403 ghz (4 logical threads)
    x86PType         =  Standard OEM
    x86Flags         =  bfebfbff 0000e3bd
    x86EFlags        =  20100000

x86 Features Detected:
    MMX.. SSE.. SSE2.. SSE3.. SSSE3

Installing POSIX SIGSEGV handler...
Reserving memory for recompilers...

Loading plugins...
    Binding GS    : /home/mchinen/scm/.pcsx2-read-only/bin/plugins/libzzogl.so
(GameDB) 9088 games on record (loaded in 1049ms)
    Binding PAD    : /home/mchinen/scm/.pcsx2-read-only/bin/plugins/libonepad.so
    Binding SPU2    : /home/mchinen/scm/.pcsx2-read-only/bin/plugins/libspu2x.so
    Binding CDVD    : /home/mchinen/scm/.pcsx2-read-only/bin/plugins/libCDVDiso.so
    Binding USB    : /home/mchinen/scm/.pcsx2-read-only/bin/plugins/libUSBnull.so
    Binding FW    : /home/mchinen/scm/.pcsx2-read-only/bin/plugins/libFWnull.so
    Binding DEV9    : /home/mchinen/scm/.pcsx2-read-only/bin/plugins/libdev9null.so
Plugins loaded successfully.

HLE Notice: ELF does not have a path.

Initializing plugins...
    Init GS
    Init PAD
    Init SPU2
    Init CDVD
    Init USB
    Init FW
    Init DEV9
Plugins initialized successfully.

Opening plugins...
    Opening GS
    Opening PAD
    Opening SPU2
    Opening CDVD
isoFile open ok: /home/mchinen/Downloads/FINAL_FANTASY_X.ISO
    Image type  = DVD
    Fileparts   = 1
* CDVD Disk Open: DVD, Single layer or unknown:
* * Track 1: Data (Mode 1) (2201280 sectors)
    Opening USB
    Opening FW
    Opening DEV9
McdSlot 0: /root/PCSX2/memcards/Mcd001.ps2
McdSlot 1: /root/PCSX2/memcards/Mcd002.ps2
Plugins opened successfully.
EE/iR5900-32 Recompiler Reset
    Bios Found: USA     v01.60(07/02/2002)  Console
    BIOS rom1 module not found, skipping...
    BIOS rom2 module not found, skipping...
    BIOS erom module not found, skipping...
(UpdateVSyncRate) Mode Changed to NTSC.
(UpdateVSyncRate) FPS Limit Changed : 59.94 fps
(SYSTEM.CNF) Detected PS2 Disc = cdrom0:\SLUS_203.12;1
(SYSTEM.CNF) Software version = 1.00
(SYSTEM.CNF) Disc region type = NTSC
ELF (cdrom0:\SLUS_203.12;1) Game CRC = 0xBB3D833A, EntryPoint = 0x00100008
(SYSTEM.CNF) Detected PS2 Disc = cdrom0:\SLUS_203.12;1
(SYSTEM.CNF) Software version = 1.00
(SYSTEM.CNF) Disc region type = NTSC
(GameDB) Enabled Gamefix: IpuWaitHack
EE/iR5900-32 Recompiler Reset
(R5900) Re-executed ELF Entry point (ignored) [addr=0x00100008]

Sponsored links

for information, it is possible to build and run gsdx (software sdl) on linux without wine. Use this cmake option to build it -DFORCE_INTERNAL_SDL=TRUE
Ok I rebuilt and ran it with the gsdx sdl natively. It ran about 2 times as faster as zzogl (but still slower than wine software sdl.)
There still was no mention of my graphics card anywhere in the log. Does this mean my drivers aren't being picked up?

Can you see your graphics card in the log?
Give me, graphic card, driver and zzogl logs after you start the game.

However it is possible that your cpu is faster than your gpu. The plugin need to send the data to the graphic card which is very slow, there is a caching mechanism. If it does not work as expected software mode will be faster.
(06-17-2011, 07:53 AM)gregory Wrote: Give me, graphic card, driver and zzogl logs after you start the game.

However it is possible that your cpu is faster than your gpu. The plugin need to send the data to the graphic card which is very slow, there is a caching mechanism. If it does not work as expected software mode will be faster.

The graphics card is Nvidia GeForce 8800 GT (512mb)

jockey-gtk on the chroot says the 'current' nvidia driver is activated but not currently in use. This may be the problem as jockey-gtk on my 64 bit says it is in use. version number is 260.19.06 as reported by nvidia-settings.

The complete log including starting the game is in the OP.
bump. Can someone just confirm for me if your graphics card is printed to the log in linux?
Try to run glxinfo inside the chroot and check the line "direct rendering: Yes" which much be Yes.
Okay, I did this, thanks.
It says

direct rendering: No (If you want to find out why, try setting LIBGL_DEBUG=verbose)

So it looks like this is a system setup problem. I'm not sure what I need to do from here.
I tried setting LIBGL_DEBUG=verbose with export (and verified that echo $LIBGL_DEBUG prints 'verbose'), but no new output is given - this appears to be a glxinfo bug from googling.

Any ideas would be appreciated, but you've already helped me debug a lot, so thanks.
Hum try googling nvidia, chroot, opengl. When multiarch will be ready, it would be easier to run PCSX2 on Ubuntu 64 bits.