How to get a PS3 controller to correspond with PSX2
@ph34rme I've tried your steps and still unable to get MotionJoy to interact with PSX2, I tried a registry clean and then performed your steps again, and still no joy. Last of all I tried removing all components relating to MotionJoy and Xbox 360 controller both from Add or Remove Programs and Device Manager, I even went to the extreme to reboot my computer several times in order for Windows XP to recognise the original drivers upon reinstall of the control pad, but still kept recognising the control pad as MotionJoy even though it was unistalled before resulting to follow your instructions, is there anyway of removing the MotionJoy drivers so that Windows XP can recognise the control pad as a Playstation controller? Thanks

@Squall Leonhart I thought you could too.

Sponsored links

Windows won't even recognize the PS3 controller AFAIK without the MinJoy driver.

Make sure to go to the driver page in the MiJ panel and load the controller driver there. BTW, what I have workin is USB. I understand you want it to work on bluetooth. I did at one point get it working via bluetooth with a logitech bluetooth adapter, but it was pretty iffy, and I accidentally overwrote the driver with the driver install on the MinJoy page and it never worked for me again.

I agree with others here, it just works with USB, but if you want it to work on BT I don't think I'll be much help. Sorry, but good luck and I hope you get it working.
AMD Phenom II 965BE @ 3.4Ghz
8 GB DDR3 1333 RAM
AMD Radeon HD 6750
Windows 7 64 bit
@ph34rme Isn't there any advice you can give that can rectify this problem apart from the steps you have provided? Thanks P.S. I thought that when I first plugged the PS3 controller into the PC without MotionJoy, I was adament that it recognised it as Sony Playstation 3 controller and was in the gamepad section with all buttons working and corresponding to the diagram on screen, I'm sure I haven't mistaken.
(03-04-2012, 12:01 PM)RocknRollTim Wrote: @ph34rme Isn't there any advice you can give that can rectify this problem apart from the steps you have provided? Thanks P.S. I thought that when I first plugged the PS3 controller into the PC without MotionJoy, I was adament that it recognised it as Sony Playstation 3 controller and was in the gamepad section with all buttons working and corresponding to the diagram on screen, I'm sure I haven't mistaken.

Just wanted to chime in with some possible help here after reading this thread.

1st: When you plug in your PS3 controller initially it can do different things depending on your motherboard. Intel boards recognize and work with PS3 controllers I hear, but if you're like me and have an AMD (Phenom 2 B55 3.5ghz) then it most likely wont recognize the controller properly at first, or if it does by some chance, will not have functioning analog sticks.

Dont be freaked out by the different things windows will call your ps3 controller. It can me a motioninjoy device, a ps3 controller or a wireless xbox360 controller (if emulated that way in motioninjoy)

2nd: What exactly happens when you turn on your computer and plug in the ps3 controller. Also do you see any device in the "USB Game Controllers" area on your control panel? If so, try testing it in the "Advanced" screen and see what buttons function and which dont (if any). (NOTE: do all of this without starting up motioninjoy)

3rd: When you start up motioninjoy, on the main screen, do you see your PS3 controller listed there? Or does it say "Looking for device..." On the driver screen of motioninjoy does it say the driver is properly installed? If not, what happens when you try to install it?

If you can answer these questions I may be able to help you.

Cheers
-Mordecai
@Mordecai Walfish First of all my computer has got an Intel motherboard and recognised the controller but thought it would be easier to set up PSX2 with MotionJoy rather than LilyPad as none of the buttons would correspond with either one of the controller plugins.

Secondly since I installed MotionJoy, the gamepad keeps getting recognised as MotionJoy controller and when I look under USB Game Controllers, it says there is currently a MotionJoy controller and all buttons are corresponding under the Advanced section.

Lastly when launching MotionJoy and searching under the Device Manager, it says there is a gamepad currently connected via USB, the one that says MotionJoy under the USB Game Controllers, again with all buttons corresponding.

Hope this information answers your questions sufficiently, shall I do a System Restore of the operating system or shall I amend the config file for the drivers recognised under Windows? Thank you
If you see your game controller listed on the main screen when you start motioninjoy, thats a good sign. If this *IS* the case, and you do see your controller listed on the *main* screen *instead* of "Waiting for controller to be connected..." then try doing things in this order:

1. on the main motioninjoy screen, select "Playstation 2 (POV,joysticks)" from the list.

2. below this selection hit the button that says "Vibration testing". Does your controller vibrate when you do this?

3. next, hit the "Enable" button in the bottom left hand corner. Test your controller in the Game Controller control panel applet, make sure all sticks, buttons and the D-pad are registering.

You will still need the lilyPad plugin to bind your buttons to the playstation2 controls.
one thing i noticed in your screenshots, the controller isn't being reported as a PLAYSTATION 3 CONTROLLER with the standard hid driver :3
@Mordecai Walfish I've tested the game pad to see if it vibrates in MotionJoy and it does, I'll press the enable button and to configure the game pad in PSX2 using the LilyPad plugin, and to let you know of course.

@Squall Leonhart Possible reason as to why his game pad isn't being recognised as the standard Playstation 3 controller in MotionJoy is that the Xbox 360 game pad drivers have taken priority over the Playstation 3 controller drivers as he will have installed these after installing MotionJoy and PSX2.
wouldn't change a thing, the name is reported via the HID Descriptor.
@Squall Leonhart Very true, but I'll keep on troubleshooting and to follow any suggestions that anybody advises, it's all trial and error, and will hopefully get me a step further each time.