Huge performance hit from lack of fullscreen mode on Broadwell NUC
Exclusive full screen mode needs to be re-implemented. On an Intel Broadwell NUC with HD 5500, Mario Brawl on Dolphin gets 45-50 FPS or so at 1080p resolution in borderless window mode, but gets a flawless 60 FPS with no dips in exclusive full screen.

I tested it on Windows 7 and Windows 8.1, same thing on both operating systems. PCSX2 has the exact same huge performance hit in borderless window mode for the Intel integrated GPU. It appears Intel drivers are only optimized for full screen.

Sponsored links

True full screen brings a whole host of issues with it. We had it at one point, but took it out as it had major issues.
[Image: XTe1j6J.png]
Gaming Rig: Intel i7 6700k @ 4.8Ghz | GTX 1070 TI | 32GB RAM | 960GB(480GB+480GB RAID0) SSD | 2x 1TB HDD
(06-30-2015, 08:36 PM)Blyss Sarania Wrote: True full screen brings a whole host of issues with it. We had it at one point, but took it out as it had major issues.

Yea, it was said to be a 2-3% performance difference, but it's closer to 30% on Broadwell Intel integrated GPUs (and probably skylake and the older ones too?), which is pretty enormous when the games would play full speed without that hit.
(06-30-2015, 08:36 PM)Blyss Sarania Wrote: True full screen brings a whole host of issues with it. We had it at one point, but took it out as it had major issues.

we did? when far as i know gsdx never had it and always been windows fullscreen, other other video plug did zerogs?
By the way, the GPU power of Broadwell iGPUs are severely underrated. I saw review sites posting benches claiming 30-40 FPS in League of Legends at 1080p, yet I get something like 90-120fps on default graphics settings (medium) on a NUC5i3RYH at 1080p.

The newer NUCs really do have the power to play most emulator games at 1080p if this issue is fixed. Final Fantasy X played at 3x internal res no problem (higher than 1080p), even with this bordless mode performance hit.

What's odd is, Maximo played slightly slower with dips down to 50 FPS.
FFX is not even remotely demanding as for emulations goes , each ps2 game has different in how demanding it is on the hardware. fullscreen exlcusive isnt a mirricle pill in reguards to how demanding a game is

I will to bet Maximo is much more demanding then FFX cause ALOT games are more demanding then FFX
(06-30-2015, 09:24 PM)tsunami2311 Wrote: fullscreen exlcusive isnt a mirricle pill in reguards to how demanding a game is

I don't think you read my post. There was something like a 30% performance difference in Dolphin for HD 5500 and games that are more demanding both CPU and GPU wise were running full speed in dolphin, while lesser demanding games in PCSX2 aren't running full speed due to lack of exclusive full screen mode.
Did you report this issue to Intel?
(06-30-2015, 09:43 PM)r0ach Wrote: I don't think you read my post. There was something like a 30% performance difference in Dolphin for HD 5500 and games that are more demanding both CPU and GPU wise were running full speed in dolphin, while lesser demanding games in PCSX2 aren't running full speed due to lack of exclusive full screen mode.

you also CANT compare one emulator to another, and how you fiqure ps2 game are LESSER demanding.

Ever think your Lower power Intel Broadwell NUC just isnt powerfull enough for some ps2 games.

You should post your actual specs, before blaming the emulator
Yeah, if Exclusive Fullscreen is significantly faster, something else weird is going on. If anything, with Dolphin Exclusive Fullscreen + Dolphin's vsync = slower than Windows Vsync + borderless fullscreen. The advantage is usually in latency + higher quality vsync.

Seriously, I'd love to get exclusive fullscreen into PCSX2 for various reasons, but I don't think performance reasons will be provable.