Huge slowdown in previously working games
Hi:

I've made progress. I did everything I was suggested but It seems like the only thing that really made a difference was the power saving set up (Put it to high performance). DMC still shows about 43 FPS (but It doesn't feel that way, I think it works a lot closer to 100% speed than the window shows) and at least FFX (in the intro at least) went back up to 100% speed. The change in drivers did give me a little boots in DMC but enough to justify keeping the old drivers.

Thanks for all the help.
My Computer: Intel i7 870 @ 2.93 Ghz. XForce Ati Radeon 5870 with 1 Gb RAM. 6 GB DDR3 1333 Mhz RAM.

Sponsored links

i don't know if this would help you at all, but i was running a new build of the emulator and also found i suffered a huge slowdown with known working games... i found that disabling 'Allow 8bit Textures' in GSdx solved the problem
Processor: Core i7 2600 3.4GHz
RAM: Corsair Vengeance 2x2GB Dual Channel DDR3 PC 12800
Mobo: Gigabyte GA-H77-D3H
Graphics: 2x Radeon HD 3870
yes, "allow 8-bit textures" is known to cause that with some games, e.g. the menues of ffx will be considerably slower with it enabled. that's why it should be off by default, only if the gsdx cpu usage shown in the title bar of pcsx2 constantly hits 95+%, then it might net you some extra fps. this option is meant to speedup gpu dependend games (which ffx surely isn't), but keep in mind that this gsdx setting also needs a powerful gpu to work.
CPU Core [email protected] | GPU Nvidia Geforce GTX 570 | RAM 8GB DDR-3 1600MHz CL9 | OS Win7 Ultimate (x64) SP1
EMU PCSX2 v1.1.0 r5645 | GS GSdx SSE4 r5632 | SPU2 SPU2-X r5559 | PAD LilyPad r5403 | CDVD cdvdGigaherz r5403
Thanks but it's off on my configuration.
My Computer: Intel i7 870 @ 2.93 Ghz. XForce Ati Radeon 5870 with 1 Gb RAM. 6 GB DDR3 1333 Mhz RAM.
(09-01-2009, 02:31 AM)Shadow Lady Wrote: Eh well try updating drivers disabling aero... make sure pcsx2 is running on 2 cores try changing the affinity of it to run on the last 2 cores only actually, using the high performance power profile... dont know really new windows installation cant really expect everything to work the same :/

For some reason I find having pcsx2 run in all four processors giving me 3-5 fps increase.
it is set on all 4 by standard lol
it doesnt however meen pcsx2 will use all 4

taking all processes away from the 3rd and 4th and letting pcsx2 only run on core3 and 4 will have a slightly better result
[Image: 1454055.png]
(09-03-2009, 08:23 PM)snowmuch Wrote:
(09-01-2009, 02:31 AM)Shadow Lady Wrote: Eh well try updating drivers disabling aero... make sure pcsx2 is running on 2 cores try changing the affinity of it to run on the last 2 cores only actually, using the high performance power profile... dont know really new windows installation cant really expect everything to work the same :/

For some reason I find having pcsx2 run in all four processors giving me 3-5 fps increase.

Personally I think it doesn't matter, window's load balancing spreads it out just fine, and if all 4 processors give u better FPS then just leave it.

and besides, all the other processes can still use the cores PCSX2 is only specified to run on, setting the affinity to two cores is just limiting itself, if say another process decides to use core 1 and core 2.

Of course I am not entirely sure if this is the case, but seems to make sense?
ChenZen - A blog for games, technology, gadgets, anime, manga, music, or about anything else that interests the average geek.
not really, core3 and 4 are barely used at all in windows, core 1 and 2 however are.
pcsx2 will use the 1st 2 cores if you dont set it on core 3 and 4

meening your 3rd and 4th core wont do a thing
pcsx2 running on core 3 and 4 meens windows isnt run on those cores so more for pcsx2

see the point here?
Hey cool core discussion!.

I just figured that the new operating systems automatically took care of what to run on which cores. So everything was kind of "spread out evenly"
once again, it isnt spread out evenly as pcsx2 only supports dual core, it will only run on 2 cores even tho affinity will say all 4

affinity all 4 selected meens pcsx2 will use the 1st 2 cores