Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
I am runnin a Socket 775 with a 3.8 Ghz Pentium 4 that overheats
I've cleaned the dust, used arctic silver 5 and it still gets too hot and goes down to 2.8 ghz. So, I figured, either spend a bunch of money on water cooling (cuz its as air cooled as it can get, custom case everything), or see what I see. Came across a Pentium D at 3.0 Ghz 2mb lv2 Cache, will it run PCSX2 better than my 3.8 did? I bought it for like 25 bucks.

I already run into 50 frames on FFX on my P4 3.8 which was probably running at 2.8Ghz with a bunch of settings tweaked of course. With programs that use dual cores, like PCSX2, i'd imagine i'd be able to run better frames AND better settings correct? Even if the Pentium D is not that great of a dual core? (I'm also hoping it will run cooler, espescially when I use Arctic Silver 5)

Sponsored links

Did you check if your board supports Core 2 Duo?
(11-03-2010, 12:28 AM)rama Wrote: Did you check if your board supports Core 2 Duo?

Yea, it does, but when I look for them they're a couple hundred bucks. I got this Pentium D for 25 bucks with S+H, so I dunno. Is it really that bad of a chip that I won't be able to hit 60 fps if i'm already hitting 50 on my single core? That would be kinda bunk dude, but if it's better it's better.

I'm also runnin an ATI Radeon HD 4350 512mb/600mhz with 3gb of ram at 266mhz.
If the mobo supports Core2 it would probably support Pentium Dual-Core E5xxx or E6xxx series which are basically Core2 with lower cache and would be pretty cheap and much cooler and faster (almost twice as fast as a Pentium D clocked the same) and better overclock than a Pentium D, so try to look for those instead if supported by your mobo (would need to support wolfdales tho).

The difference between your 3.8 single core and a 3.0 Pentium D would be minimal in some games and it could even be slower in others... really not worth the change, althou it's really up to you Tongue2
Core i5 3570k -- Geforce GTX 670  --  Windows 7 x64
as ShadowLady says if you m/b supports Pentium Dual-Core E5xxx series,then get one of these.I read that especially E5400 if i recall correctly can be easily overclocked to 3.2 + GHz with just an aftermarket cpu cooler and remain stable.

Edit: As you can see ShadowLady also has a Pentium Dual-Core E5400 and has overclocked it from 2,7GHz to 3,6
Right, this is an obvious upgrade path for you. It'd bring your low end pc to top PCSX2 performance,
especially when overclocking is considered.
A new Core2 design CPU runs for ~$50 (new) now.
(11-03-2010, 07:36 AM)Shadow Lady Wrote: If the mobo supports Core2 it would probably support Pentium Dual-Core E5xxx or E6xxx series which are basically Core2 with lower cache and would be pretty cheap and much cooler and faster (almost twice as fast as a Pentium D clocked the same) and better overclock than a Pentium D, so try to look for those instead if supported by your mobo (would need to support wolfdales tho).

Not really. If it's old enough that it only has a P4 installed, it's quite possible that it only supports 65nm Conroe/Allendale. That's the case with my 965 chipset.
Yea, I'm pretty much only doing it for PCSX2 and I guess dual core applications? But if what you're sayin is right I won't see any gain much at all from my single core?

Oh well, lol. I thought for sure a dual core of some kind would be better but haha. I should've read benchmarks and stuff. It's just this chip I have is pissin me off cuz it keeps getting too hot and goes down to 2.8 and i thought for sure the extra megabyte in level 2 cache would help. I have been reading how much power it uses too, lol.

I can see that my board supports up to a 3.33 GHz E6800 2mb lv2 cache. Would even the e6600 at 3.0 GHz be far better than the Pentium D?

Out of those chips that you guys mentioned, at what point would they not be any better than the Pentium D I have, or are they all better no matter what the clock speed?
I don't know how Pentium 4's perform in PCSX2 but on average, Core 2 Duo's are ~50% faster clock-for-clock, core-for-core. Basically, any Core 2 Duo will beat that Pentium D. What plug-ins & configuration are you using on FFX and can you send a save state or something? I can try it on one of my Wolfdales and give you the FPS I'm getting.
Yea for sure, sounds good. I know with this single core 3.8 which i'm not sure how often it runs at 3.8 actually, but it will sit around 48 fps sometimes drop to high 38's but other times in the mid 50's.

I'll get that ready for you here, I might have to wait till tomorrow, see how far I get here.

Oh, and forgot to add, I appreciate all the help. Intel made a confusing amount of dual cores when you try to look back when you haven't kept up with it. Lots of different models I never realized.