I'm very puzzled, please help!
Every time I try and run a ps2 game with the pcsx2 emulator version 0.9.6, I always get the "Gs plugin failed to open/initialize" pop up screen. I already updated to the latest version of Direct X so that's not the problem. I've used the gsdx 890 plugins and none of those work. When I use those it will say my cpu does not support them but when I use the zeroGS 0.97.1 plugin I can at least get to the "Gs Plugin failed to open/initialize" pop up screen but I can't get the game to play. I'm using Daemon Tools to mount the image. Please, any suggestions??

Thank you!!

Sponsored links

Most likely your video card lacks Pixel Shader 2.0. Please give your system specs -- video card and cpu primarily.
Jake Stine (Air) - Programmer - PCSX2 Dev Team
U need a new video card before gsdx can work and it must support pixel shader 2.0 just as Mr Jake has stated. I had same problem before but when i got a new video card, gsdx plugin was able to work so try it.....
your rig is highly possible ancient...,better get a modern rig now..
Main PC1:i5-4670,HD7770(Active!)
Main PC2:i5-11600K,GTX1660Ti(Active!)
PCSX2 Discord server IGN:smartstrike
PCSX2 version uses:Custom compiled build 1.7.0 64-bit(to be update regularly)
smartstk's YouTube Channel
(08-25-2009, 01:09 AM)Air Wrote: Most likely your video card lacks Pixel Shader 2.0. Please give your system specs -- video card and cpu primarily.

Thanks Air for your response! Well, here goes my specs:

Compaq Presario S0000
AMD Athlon XP 2600
2075 mhz
Video Card: NVIDIA GeForce4 MX Integrated GPU
Microsoft Windows XP Service Pack 3

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated. Thanks again!
Yeah, the Geforce 4 is Pixel shader 1.3 only, which is why it cannot run PCSX2. Sorry. Sad

For sake of information, modern cards typically refer to it as the Shader Model, and there are now Shader Models 3 and 4 available in the newer video cards. The name change is because there are now Vertex Shaders and Texture Shaders in addition to the Pixel Shaders of old. In either case, you'll need a GPU with Shader Model 2 or better to run PCSX2. Both the GSdx and ZeroGS plugins require it, and there are no other alternatives available at this time.
(08-25-2009, 03:41 AM)Air Wrote: Yeah, the Geforce 4 is Pixel shader 1.3 only, which is why it cannot run PCSX2. Sorry. Sad

For sake of information, modern cards typically refer to it as the Shader Model, and there are now Shader Models 3 and 4 available in the newer video cards. The name change is because there are now Vertex Shaders and Texture Shaders in addition to the Pixel Shaders of old. In either case, you'll need a GPU with Shader Model 2 or better to run PCSX2. Both the GSdx and ZeroGS plugins require it, and there are no other alternatives available at this time.

Thanks! What video card do you recommend for my type of computer?
Actually I can't recommend one. I just realized the AMD XP 2600 processor doesn't support SSE2 extensions, which are also required for PCSX2 to run. (only the 2800, 3000, and 3100 models have SSE2). So you're behind the curve on both CPU and GPU.

This is the trouble with emulation of the Playstation 2 -- it was a fairly advanced system for its time, and properly emulating it is very demanding and benefits greatly from the recent multimedia extensions that have been added to CPUs and GPUs alike in the past several years. We considered retaining support for pre-SSE2 cpus but there's no way the emulator would be usable on your system anyway (unless you like games in 5-10x slo-mo) so we opted to simplify the code and optimize for the future gen hardware, instead of the past.
(08-25-2009, 04:02 AM)Air Wrote: Actually I can't recommend one. I just realized the AMD XP 2600 processor doesn't support SSE2 extensions, which are also required for PCSX2 to run. (only the 2800, 3000, and 3100 models have SSE2). So you're behind the curve on both CPU and GPU.

This is the trouble with emulation of the Playstation 2 -- it was a fairly advanced system for its time, and properly emulating it is very demanding and benefits greatly from the recent multimedia extensions that have been added to CPUs and GPUs alike in the past several years. We considered retaining support for pre-SSE2 cpus but there's no way the emulator would be usable on your system anyway (unless you like games in 5-10x slo-mo) so we opted to simplify the code and optimize for the future gen hardware, instead of the past.

Time to upgrade lol
You'd need a whole new computer in order to get playable speeds I'm afraid.
Core i5 3570k -- Geforce GTX 670  --  Windows 7 x64