I'm wondering about hardware upgrades
I have a windows vista(I know what your thinking why a vista) 32bit, AMD Athlon™ 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 5000+, I think a Radeon 9500 series graphics card, 1.9gb ram(I had 2gb ram no idea what happened there), and have no idea what motherboard comes standard with windows vista home premium.

Now what I want to do is upgrade the processor, is this possible i want a Intel Core i5-750 2.66GHz Quad-Core Processor.

Any better suggestions, ideas. Should I upgrade any other hardware?

Sponsored links

You would need a new motherboard and ram too.
[Image: gmYzFII.png]
[Image: dvedn3-5.png]
And a possible re-format as I don't think Windows can handle an upgrade like that without going nuts. There's a way to bypass it which strips all drivers and customizations but keeps programs intact that I used. I can find a link later tonight if you want.
Why replace one type of old hardware with another type of old hardware? Get the latest models. Even the AMD cpu's are decent nowadays for most of pcsx2 * points to low cost hardware signature...*

Lots of good used deals out there too.
OS: Linux Mint 17.2 64 bit (occasional Antergos/Arch user)
(I am no longer a Windows user)
CPU: Intel Pentium G3258
GPU: Nvidia GTX 650 Ti

(11-05-2013, 04:52 AM)DaTankAC Wrote: Why replace one type of old hardware with another type of old hardware? Get the latest models. Even the AMD cpu's are decent nowadays for most of pcsx2 * points to low cost hardware signature...*

Good points, but that aside it is still an upgrade Smile
(11-05-2013, 04:52 AM)DaTankAC Wrote: Why replace one type of old hardware with another type of old hardware? Get the latest models. Even the AMD cpu's are decent nowadays for most of pcsx2 * points to low cost hardware signature...*

How goods your build in your sig? What's the average Fps when you run games? If I use your processor can i keep my motherboard? And how about the ram?
I recommand you amd fx6300 its best overclockable and good performance cpu.
Core i3 9100f 3.6Ghz
RAM=8GB
nvidia GT 1030
pcsx2 version-1.3.1  
Quote: How goods your build in your sig? What's the average Fps when you run games? If I use your processor can i keep my motherboard? And how about the ram?

I get full speed with my cpu on Windows version of pcsx2. Linux version....almost. MTVU hack works despite the weird modules system that AMD uses. My gpu was only $110 used and can run at least x3 except for certain Armored Core game scenes ('cause it's not enough!).

Your motherboard is most likely socket AM2 (really old also) so you can't use your motherboard. However, socket AM3+ can use old Athlon cpu's. Just double check the motherboard company's website in the support section. Also you need DDR3. It really doesn't matter for this system what the speed is. So you can save some money there.

I agree the FX6300 is a great overall choice between price and performance.
OS: Linux Mint 17.2 64 bit (occasional Antergos/Arch user)
(I am no longer a Windows user)
CPU: Intel Pentium G3258
GPU: Nvidia GTX 650 Ti

(11-05-2013, 02:48 PM)Brock lessner Wrote: I recommand you amd fx6300 its best overclockable and good performance cpu.

why not intel? because of the price?
(11-05-2013, 06:10 PM)willkuer Wrote: why not intel? because of the price?

yes, actually fx6300 is really great cpu but not much great as intel core i5 . In gaming or emulation if you want a nice cpu in moderate price the amd fx6300 is best choice but if money is no problem then an haswell or an ivy brige i5 is best.
Core i3 9100f 3.6Ghz
RAM=8GB
nvidia GT 1030
pcsx2 version-1.3.1