I thought I would never see the day where Software looks better than hardware
I guess this is because I am playing 2D based game. I think its safe for me to conclude that SW mode looks better than HW mode for 2D based games. I could be wrong but out of all the 3D games I tried SW mode with looked like crap compared to HW mode.

The current game doing this with is AR Tornelico 2.
I5 3570k 3.4ghz| 4GB R9 290| 8GB DDR3

Sponsored links

2d games have premade sprites, very difficult to upscale. 3d games use generated shapes which are very easy to upscale. The textures which go on them may be fixed but they don't look as bad in the higher resolutions with plenty of texture filtering on smooth shaped objects.

so yeah, it could be possible 2d games will look just as good in software mode.

and please dont use long titles, it makes replying a pain in the ass thanks to a silly imposed thread title limit >.<
[Image: ref-sig-anim.gif]

I'm sorry.

As for your explanation on why this is maxes perfect sense.

As for the game I am playing even 6x native res with MSAA at 16 along with everything else on doesn't look as good as SW mode with all its graphic enhance features maxed. Also HW mode adds boxes around the characters faces when they're talking. I should rather say when you see the full characters talking up close to where to shows them fully has those boxes. In SW mode it doesn't.

I'll post pics between the 2 modes for copmparison.

pic 1 HW mode and 2nd pic is SW mode.

http://imgur.com/3rVvZ,4Cf4x

Well I guess after viewing it myself further they both have their ups and downs.

HW mode is a lot brighter and less blurry BUT it doesn't look as smooth as SW mode does.

Is their a way in SW mode to make the picture look as bright as what HW mode does? Or is this HW mode only thing?
Its a HW only thing. Try experimenting with the Offset hacks and the Alpha hack in hw mode, it might clean up some of the bugs you're getting.

I had Alpha. Pixel Offset and the sprite hacks enabled from the get go and still get those boxes. I also noticed during actually video playing in the game like the opening movie. In HW mode it would have black vertical lines going across the screen. Naturally in SW mode they don't appear. I can not say if this does this in ever movie but I think its safe to assume that it does.
you will probably find native looks fine also in hardware mode. Scaling is the cause for 99% of the issues with 2d sprites and black lines in the middle of the screen

Believe it or not Is till get boxes even in native res. They're just not nearly as visable and are not black either but a tanish looking color. It hard to notice but they're still their. Also SW mode as of now looks better than HW native. It does to me at least.
what if you turn texture filtering off in hardware mode? and of course make sure the hacks are off

For any game with FMV issues in HW mode, AT2 being one of them, just enable the manual gamefix to automatically switch to SW mode for FMV playback.

I'm also fairly sure you will not be able to completely get rid of the character portrait glitch in AT2 (as opposed to AT1), and the world map is sort of glitchy in HW mode as well. That said, the game's dungeons are more 3D-ish than most of NIS' games and do benefit from upscaling, but it's ultimately one of those games where you just kind of have to pick your poison - I can live with the glitches because native res, regardless of rendering mode, just looks terribad at 1920x1200, but YMMV Smile
(11-14-2012, 01:20 AM)refraction Wrote: what if you turn texture filtering off in hardware mode? and of course make sure the hacks are off

That doesn't do anything.

(11-14-2012, 01:44 AM)Eloris Wrote: For any game with FMV issues in HW mode, AT2 being one of them, just enable the manual gamefix to automatically switch to SW mode for FMV playback.

I'm also fairly sure you will not be able to completely get rid of the character portrait glitch in AT2 (as opposed to AT1), and the world map is sort of glitchy in HW mode as well. That said, the game's dungeons are more 3D-ish than most of NIS' games and do benefit from upscaling, but it's ultimately one of those games where you just kind of have to pick your poison - I can live with the glitches because native res, regardless of rendering mode, just looks terribad at 1920x1200, but YMMV Smile

What hack is that specifically?