Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
I3 530 at 2.9 and Pcsx2
Hi, as you can see I own a C2Duo e4600 and an Ati video card (see my sign), but I'm going to buy a brand new i3 530 running at 2.9 on stock (which is the same of my current e4600 overclocked), my question is : Am I going to see a big or small difference in fps with my new i3? how much can I overclock my i3 on air?, please let me know what you think about it Smile
PC:
EVGA 600 +80 PSU
NVIDIA GTX 550ti EVGA 2GB VRAM
[Image: hj0zqy-4.png]

Sponsored links

well you can overclock i3 as far as you have a good cooler.. and as far as you a 4gb ram and more... and i guess having an i3 2.9 will less your fps by 5 i think.. cause pcsx2 depends on clock speed.. better change the vcard also to 5770 or to a gtx 240..

ram quantity has nothing to do with oc.... only quality does. also the i3 will be faster than his core 2 cause of the better architecture (but only just a bit)

i dont see also how you can put 5770 and gts 240 on the same league.... the real staff is 5770 and gtx 460 (gtx 460 is far better though)

the only reason in changing his gpu would be for higher internal res cause his can manage almost any game at native...

btw butz_san you know you have to buy new motherboard and ram....?
OS: Win 7 Ultimate x64 sp1, MoBo: Asus P5QD Turbo, CPU: Q6600 @ 3,0Ghz, RAM: Trancend 2x2gb 6-6-6-18 800 MHz, GPU: HD 4850 1gb.
Pcsx2: Always Latest
(09-09-2010, 04:49 AM)iakoboss7 Wrote: ram quantity has nothing to do with oc.... only quality does. also the i3 will be faster than his core 2 cause of the better architecture (but only just a bit)

i dont see also how you can put 5770 and gts 240 on the same league.... the real staff is 5770 and gtx 460 (gtx 460 is far better though)

the only reason in changing his gpu would be for higher internal res cause his can manage almost any game at native...

btw butz_san you know you have to buy new motherboard and ram....?

Yes, I know, I'm going to buy a Biostar Th55 and 2 GB of RAM DDR3 at 1333, I have $350 and that's the only kind of stuff that I can afford at the moment. I know, i3 and mainboard are too expensive here in Ecuador Sad. $162 the i3 and $123 the mainboard plus the RAM cost $70 Sad. The internal resolution doesn't bother me too much Smile
PC:
EVGA 600 +80 PSU
NVIDIA GTX 550ti EVGA 2GB VRAM
[Image: hj0zqy-4.png]
yes it is.. ram quantity is do required for oc.. since u have 4 gb u cant tell it.. cause ocing my e5400 to 3.5ghz required a 3gb of ram.. cause every time you oc your processor... it increase the frequency of the memory.. that will lead to bsod.. so you must retain your memory frequency as equal to the original frequency or not much high on the original frequency... why i know it.. cause ive been a member on a overclocking forum for a very long time..

(09-09-2010, 06:07 AM)darkvirus Wrote: cause every time you oc your processor... it increase the frequency of the memory..

That is true but still has nothing to do with ram size...
Core i5 3570k -- Geforce GTX 670  --  Windows 7 x64
(09-09-2010, 06:07 AM)darkvirus Wrote: yes it is.. ram quantity is do required for oc.. since u have 4 gb u cant tell it.. cause ocing my e5400 to 3.5ghz required a 3gb of ram.. cause every time you oc your processor... it increase the frequency of the memory.. that will lead to bsod.. so you must retain your memory frequency as equal to the original frequency or not much high on the original frequency... why i know it.. cause ive been a member on a overclocking forum for a very long time..

You must be confused it seems, only the RAM quality matters, quantity doesn't matter in OCing. RAM frequency is what you look for when it comes to OCing as well as quality.
Intel Core i7 920 @ 3.6Ghz
6GB DDR3 RAM
Nvidia 275 GTX Co-Op
HDD 2x750GB Raid 0
Mobo - Asus P6T
OCZ Game XStream 700W
Window 7 Ultimate
(09-09-2010, 07:10 AM)Master_DX Wrote:
(09-09-2010, 06:07 AM)darkvirus Wrote: yes it is.. ram quantity is do required for oc.. since u have 4 gb u cant tell it.. cause ocing my e5400 to 3.5ghz required a 3gb of ram.. cause every time you oc your processor... it increase the frequency of the memory.. that will lead to bsod.. so you must retain your memory frequency as equal to the original frequency or not much high on the original frequency... why i know it.. cause ive been a member on a overclocking forum for a very long time..

You must be confused it seems, only the RAM quality matters, quantity doesn't matter in OCing. RAM frequency is what you look for when it comes to OCing as well as quality.
I second that. If you get bad quality RAM that states false frequency and timings, you'll get unstable OC (after you clock your RAMs at the specified frequency). How much RAM actually have nothing to do with how good you can OC. In fact, I would recommend only having 1 stick of RAM in the 1st DIM slot. This prevents BSODs caused by RAM or bad quality RAM. Since its less likely for RAM to fail to run at the stated freq/timings if only 1 RAM is in the mobo. (after you set it to the stated volts on the mobo, either 1.60v/1.65/1.66)
CPU: i7 930 @ 2.8GHz(Everyday)/3.6GHz(Gaming)/4.0GHz(Encoding)
GPU: Geforce GTX 480 @ 850MHz/1001MHz
Motherboard: ASUS P6X58D-E
RAM: 2x3 6GB OCZ @ 1527MHz 8-8-8-24
(09-09-2010, 05:18 AM)Butz_san Wrote: Yes, I know, I'm going to buy a Biostar Th55 and 2 GB of RAM DDR3 at 1333, I have $350 and that's the only kind of stuff that I can afford at the moment. I know, i3 and mainboard are too expensive here in Ecuador Sad. $162 the i3 and $123 the mainboard plus the RAM cost $70 Sad. The internal resolution doesn't bother me too much Smile

well i would suggest saving up some more money so you can add 2gb more of ram (having win 7 with only 2 gb is like killing them Tongue) but you can still add them later (just be sure you buy 1 2gb stick now so you can dual channel with 1 more later)

and you should better go for an i5 or i7 quad so you can see differences in other non pcsx2 related staff.

being in a forum doesnt actually means you get the right knowledge (and thats how it seems with what you say) its better to search for many sources of information cause there are many ppl that are wrong! ram quantity doesnt matter at all, you can OC even with a 128mb stick Tongue, what it matters is the quality of the ram and if it was made for overclocking and staff like that
OS: Win 7 Ultimate x64 sp1, MoBo: Asus P5QD Turbo, CPU: Q6600 @ 3,0Ghz, RAM: Trancend 2x2gb 6-6-6-18 800 MHz, GPU: HD 4850 1gb.
Pcsx2: Always Latest
(09-09-2010, 01:04 PM)iakoboss7 Wrote: well i would suggest saving up some more money so you can add 2gb more of ram (having win 7 with only 2 gb is like killing them Tongue) but you can still add them later (just be sure you buy 1 2gb stick now so you can dual channel with 1 more later)

and you should better go for an i5 or i7 quad so you can see differences in other non pcsx2 related staff.

+1. Nowadays, you really do want to go with 4GB. If you're really that tight on budget, you're better off getting 1x2GB stick rather than 2x1GB sticks. The performance difference from single channel to dual channel isn't really all that high. Lynnfield really is a much better option than Clarkdale but given your budget just give it a pass for now.

(09-09-2010, 01:04 PM)iakoboss7 Wrote: being in a forum doesnt actually means you get the right knowledge (and thats how it seems with what you say) its better to search for many sources of information cause there are many ppl that are wrong! ram quantity doesnt matter at all, you can OC even with a 128mb stick Tongue, what it matters is the quality of the ram and if it was made for overclocking and stuff like that

Yup. Quality and speed matters more when it comes to overclocking. General system performance and responsiveness, though, I'd take more RAM than faster RAM.

Other thoughts:
Standard DDR3 voltage is 1.50V. Intel's datasheet specifies a tolerance of 10% meaning you can go up to 1.65V. Given the budget constraints, I recommend going with value RAM at standard voltage (e.g. Kingston, Crucial, Corsair) rather than go with already overclocked high performance/gaming memory. A side benefit to using standard memory is they're pretty much guaranteed to work on any motherboard (barring DOA or faulty modules). Some motherboards/BIOS tend to be finicky when paired with high performance RAM.