I5 2500k throttling down using PCSX2
last few posts got it all wrong i am afraid

has nothing to do with any power saving module of any kind
downclock during gaming cannot be prevented any of those ,nor does it has anything to do with them

please lets not pollute topic any more the application above is 100% bullet proof to fix intel's little screwup

most of people have absolutely no idea that its happening to them,they will simply call game bugged with "micro stutering" and such while in reality its actually the downclock on cpu due to heating of gpu

google is filled with tons of ppl trying to understand what's happening
and the answer is in second post of this topic

Sponsored links

(06-11-2013, 02:40 AM)IcemanSR Wrote: last few posts got it all wrong i am afraid

has nothing to do with any power saving module of any kind
downclock during gaming cannot be prevented any of those ,nor does it has anything to do with them

please lets not pollute topic any more the application above is 100% bullet proof to fix intel's little screwup

most of people have absolutely no idea that its happening to them,they will simply call game bugged with "micro stutering" and such while in reality its actually the downclock on cpu due to heating of gpu

google is filled with tons of ppl trying to understand what's happening
and the answer is in second post of this topic

Forgive us for have based on the OP's information:
Quote:I5 2500k, 8Gb DDR3 Kingston, Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UD5H, GTX 560ti 1Gb, SSD M4 128Gb, Windows 7 Ultimate.
The I5 is overclocked to 4.5Ghz 1.3v, +0.050 offset (DVID), plus using all power saving options C1e - Speedstep, etc..The CPU idles at 1.6 Ghz, 1.0v 32c, and jumps upto 4.5ghz 1.300v and hovers around 58c on emulators and games, and 72c when running Prime95.

The problem I have is this, when running PCSX2 v1.0, on any game - GT4 for example - the CPU throttles down to 1.6ghz causing massive frame dips, it then sporadically jumps around from 4.5 - 1.6 to 4.5 down to 1.6, and keeps doing this on any game, even the demanding ones like SOTC.

Of course, I would like to keep using power saving for surfing and idle times, but this is just driving me nuts. Regular PC games are fine, and the CPU stays at 4.5 for the duration of the games.

and for this to be a known issue with a known solution that works almost every time.

PS: Although overclocking and activating power saving is a bit odd to me, that would be more like turbo.
Anyway, if that application corrects Intel "little screw up", that's fine, but it's advertizement is not the topic of this thread so to pollute it, better would be you creating a specific one, titled correctly to spread the good news.
Imagination is where we are truly real
(06-11-2013, 03:49 AM)nosisab Ken Keleh Wrote: Forgive us for have based on the OP's information:

and for this to be a known issue with a known solution that works almost every time.

PS: Although overclocking and activating power saving is a bit odd to me, that would be more like turbo.
Anyway, if that application corrects Intel "little screw up", that's fine, but it's advertizement is not the topic of this thread so to pollute it, better would be you creating a specific one, titled correctly to spread the good news.

the CPU throttles down to 1.6ghz causing massive frame dips, it then sporadically jumps around from 4.5 - 1.6 to 4.5 down to 1.6, and keeps doing this on any game, even the demanding ones like SOTC.

OP was clear in his words
and as said..it doesn't have nothing to do with power savings ..it happens during gameplay..and its caused as previous posted by gpu sending "heating" msg to cpu causing him to force throttle down to lower the temperature,those instructions are obviously not properly tested by intel and more so it should not exist on desktops,hence "the little screwup"

btw u cant not to use C1E,its too valuable option in term of longevity of your cpu and electric bill
(06-11-2013, 12:51 PM)IcemanSR Wrote: the CPU throttles down to 1.6ghz causing massive frame dips, it then sporadically jumps around from 4.5 - 1.6 to 4.5 down to 1.6, and keeps doing this on any game, even the demanding ones like SOTC.

OP was clear in his words
and as said..it doesn't have nothing to do with power savings ..it happens during gameplay..and its caused as previous posted by gpu sending "heating" msg to cpu causing him to force throttle down to lower the temperature,those instructions are obviously not properly tested by intel and more so it should not exist on desktops,hence "the little screwup"

btw u cant not to use C1E,its too valuable option in term of longevity of your cpu and electric bill

Seems you didn't get my meaning, that application is not known by many around here, surely not by me (I don't use Intel). So it might be worthy a proper thread named in accord to be easily visible. That's because such little application is gold if it solves the problem that afflicts so many people with Intel CPUs, mainly in laptops.

Since putting Windows at Performance power plan solves the issue of Intel CPU sending heat messages... it did a good job fooling us for so long...

PS: Just for the records, that throttling down described in the OP is exactly the the same which triggers that load balance when EE takes around 100% from that downclocked CPU, stalls and makes GS iddle and for some reason the group CPU+BIOS+OS seems to fail to notice the system is actually heavy loaded. It feels very at will and happy to keep that low clock speed. I may be wrong but that one seems to be a very specific scenery involving the way PCSX2 works and maybe is solved by that application, if so it is a great find.

About C1E, I do avoid it even in my AMD rig, it and overclock are a weird combination. Actually I don't like much dabbling with these power saving devices (Power states) on desktop machines.
Dude trust me im also have same proccessor ..but never seem that type of problem...overclock it to 3.7...i dont knw it works or nt but try and make sure that u run power plan in performance mode...
Turn OFF SPEEDSTEP in the bios and it wont happen its case of dynamically kicking in cause its thinks the program dont need the power. IF Speedster is turn off it cant down clock you unless it overheating.
You guys do realise this thread is from august 2012 yea?
[Image: jmt41l-2.png]
SSD: 250GB | HDD: 2TB | GPU: MSI GTX 970 4G Gaming
(06-12-2013, 03:40 AM)Dante3hs Wrote: You guys do realise this thread is from august 2012 yea?

haha, indeed, but if that program does what it promises and that solves the current issue with Intel CPUs and power plan (whatever the causes), that would be very good, mainly for laptops which would not need to mess with it.

Well, I can't even test it.
Does anyone actually know how to use it?
Indeed the last year or not doesn't mater at all ...the problem remains a year after and will persist..

Anyway i got PM regarding setup of throttling so here it is

My CPU is clocked to 4.4ghz that is not of your concern if you do not overclock and it doesnt play any role in this
so disregard that part
What is important to you is to make 2 Profiles
I used profile no.1 for gaming in it disable all in bottom section
(prochot,eist,C1E)

2.Second profile is for normal internet browsing and usual listening music,movies routine..
In it enable (prochot,eist,C1E)
and result will be normal downclocking of cpu to preserve power and will jump if necessary when core is loaded as u can see in core #3its clock is 4ghz rest are 1.6ghz

The tool will override any setting u have in bios
-enable start minimized and choose your gpu in settings (picture 3)

Be aware that Throttle stop might not read your cpu speed properly when he goes idle,dont pay attention to it,if you wish to monitor the speed and vcore and stuff just get your self HWiNFO64

Switch from 1 or 3 (in my case) depending on what you choose as profiles
That should be about it
My CPU is rock solid in games now ,yours should be too..

i don't like repeating my self like parrot
but here it goes
i am experienced PC user....and no power saving options under bios can help in case of downclocking when instruction is sent
it will kill your cpu to 1.6 SPEEDSTEP( aka EIST) will NOT help either ,u can turn off all and everything for that matter,it will STILL downclock when gpu sent "heating msg"Why?
Because its NOT power saving feature that gets activated By Prochot read here What Prochot is Prochot

For education purpose of those wishing to know more:
READ THIS
Its similar topic to this one i just bumped to it
to quote a person:

Code:
The bios might not have any idea what a Xeon E3-1240 is so it will set the CPU to a safe multiplier which is the minimum 16 multiplier. Give ThrottleStop a try to see if it can help you out.

The other problem is that sometimes the board will send the CPU a BD PROCHOT signal which is basically something on the board telling the CPU that it is too hot so it forces the CPU into thermal throttle mode which locks the multi to 16. It's usually just a bad sensor. You can also use ThrottleStop to disable the BD PROCHOT signal if that is causing the problem.

Here's a guide if you need some help but it's a lot easier to just start the program and try clicking on a few options.

And Here is guide for using Throttle Stop:

CPU alone is NOT responsible for this issue!
He just contains instructions its up to board to have it functional or NOT
For me : i absolutely have NO plans to give another 150e to replace my z68 board,hence this

Be AWARE that you check that its not your CPU that's overheating..if it is be smart and upgrade your cooler unit..
My cpu doesnt go past 55C in full 100% load on all cores,but gpu goes up to 73 max

As soon as you uncheck BD PROCHOT in ThrottleStop, this tells the CPU to stop listening to this Processor Hot signal that is being sent to it. When you disable BD PROCHOT, your CPU will still slow down if it ever gets too hot and needs to. Disabling this signal path simply prevents anything else from throttling the CPU.

Usefull to know:
Code:
The next version of RealTemp will let you disable BD PROCHOT. RealTemp and ThrottleStop share a lot of the same code.

LAST
THIS DOES NOT AFFECT LINUX!
Linux is automatically TURNING OFF Prochot!!
Smart system what more to say

Code:
0xE = 1110b in binary

bit[ 3 ] = 1
bit[ 2 ] = 1
bit[ 1 ] = 1 - C1E is enabled
bit[ 0 ] = 0 - BD PROCHOT is disabled