ISO compression help
AAC compression is superior to MP3. AAC and OGG are the best lossy formats out there and don't tell me it's depended on encoder, no it's not, both AAC and OGG use superior technologies that MP3 is not compatible with them because you cannot implement them either on encoder or decoder without losing complete backwards compatibility which would practicaly make it a completely new format. MP3 is bad, just bad, technology has moved on alot since it got created, it's a pitty to spare quality and bandwith when there is AAC and OGG.
As for FLAC everything in my library is atleast 44.100Hz 16-bit lossless audio because of my work (sometimes 24 bit etc) so I always store them as FLAC. The good thing is that if you have a movie that has LPCM audio and you still want to keep the LPCM stream in it without quality loss at all you can demux it convert the LPCM (stereo or 5.1 doesn't matter) to FLAC which will result an amazing reduction in size with zero quality loss so you can remux them back to an mkv.

Sponsored links

Opus is as-good if not better than aac on some music
anyways, getting back on topic lol. I haven't had any success compressing or splitting.

For instance I used Imgburn to rip FFX. The .ISO size after analysis was 4.2GB so I said what the heck and ripped it anyways to see what would happen.
It ended up converting to .mds and splitting the bulk of the content into two images, not recognized by PCSX2. One 3.99gb and the rest on the second.

PCSX2 would not read the .mds file, so I'm lost. It splitting possible with pcsx2?
i5 2500K 3.3ghz turbo to 4.2ghz
ATI 4850 512MB
8GB DDR3 RAM
PCSX2 can read the mdf file, as far as i know it does support split dvd's.

if it doesn't though, you can mount in alcohol 120 and then load it with cdvdolio
that sounds like an idea. ive just been playing FFX from disc. Some of the loading is annoying but I still get 60fps+ and double that with turbo boost. And once i turned 8bit off its been perfect. I thought maybe it was because i wasnt using .iso

the emulator wouldn't recognize the splits as "supported format" until i picked "all files" and picked the mds, or disc image file, emulator boots, instant crash, cant remember error. I think i was using gigaz plugin if that makes a difference, however...

ill try mounting the image with a virtual drive and using that! I cant believe I never thought of that lol Thanks Squall
i5 2500K 3.3ghz turbo to 4.2ghz
ATI 4850 512MB
8GB DDR3 RAM
At command prompt.
Code:
convert c: /fs:ntfs
Replace C: with external HDD letter.
does not handle 4K alignment leading to weird performance
All standard compression algorithms have some maximum memory size, beyond which they fail to detect patterns... but for some, this number is much larger than others. For Bzip, it's something like 900KB. For xz, it's something like 8MB (with default settings). For 7z, it's something like 2GB. Additionally, 7z also tries to be clever about placing files that are likely to be similar to each other next to each other in the archive, to help the compressor work better; tar doesn't know anything about that.

Lee
The most recent post in this thread is more than 8 months old. Please create a new thread and refrain from posting in threads older than 8 months in the future. Please also review the forum rules. Thank you.
CPU : AMD Ryzen 7 3800X
Mobo : Asus PRIME B450-PLUS
GPU : NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070
RAM : 16 Go