Ideal PC Hardware Questions
Hi,

I am considering building a new computer for several different tasks, one of them being PlayStation 2 emulation. While I haven't remotely settled on specifications yet, I just wanted ask a few questions.

So from what I understand the current build of PCSX2 supports up to three CPU cores in hardware mode, correct? But in software mode, can support additional cores beyond three?

If that is correct, would for example, two of these cpus with ten available cores each in software mode with base clock speed of 3Ghz perform better or worse then three available cores in hardware mode but at a clock speed of say 4.5Ghz with this cpu for example?

Also, would a GPU like the Nvidia GTX Titan be more then enough to run even the most difficult to emulate games at 1080p/60 with all the bells and whistles turned on?

And last, how does PCSX2 handle games with support for Pro Logic II?

Thanks

Sponsored links

(09-15-2013, 01:52 PM)Seraphic Wrote: Hi,

I am considering building a new computer for several different tasks, one of them being PlayStation 2 emulation. While I haven't remotely settled on specifications yet, I just wanted ask a few questions.

So from what I understand the current build of PCSX2 supports up to three CPU cores in hardware mode, correct? But in software mode, can support additional cores beyond three?

If that is correct, would for example, two of these cpus with ten available cores each in software mode with base clock speed of 3Ghz perform better or worse then three available cores in hardware mode but at a clock speed of say 4.5Ghz with this cpu for example?

Also, would a GPU like the Nvidia GTX Titan be more then enough to run even the most difficult to emulate games at 1080p/60 with all the bells and whistles turned on?

And last, how does PCSX2 handle games with support for Pro Logic II?

Thanks

your settings are up to the mark for high end task like pcsx2 . Obviously your build will perform well for many games except some which didnt work well with emulator.
Core i3 9100f 3.6Ghz
RAM=8GB
nvidia GT 1030
pcsx2 version-1.3.1  
Well the 'ideal' pc for anything really, is the best you can afford. From the CPUs and the GPU you've shown, you'll destroy anything PCSX2 throws at you with ease. Bare in mind, software mode means you can only play in native resolution, which is why most people tend to avoid it, so I wouldn't really worry about software mode. P.S What else are you gonna be doing with this MONSTER system??
(09-15-2013, 02:34 PM)Way2much Wrote: Well the 'ideal' pc for anything really, is the best you can afford. From the CPUs and the GPU you've shown, you'll destroy anything PCSX2 throws at you with ease. Bare in mind, software mode means you can only play in native resolution, which is why most people tend to avoid it, so I wouldn't really worry about software mode. P.S What else are you gonna be doing with this MONSTER system??

Well, since software mode only allows for native resolution... it's out of the question as I am interested in at least 1080p with 59.94 FPS. That leaves hardware mode with 3 Cores at 3.6Ghz (with turbo boost) vs 3 Cores at 4.5Ghz (good overclock). How much does clock speed come into play here with PCSX2? Not sure on specifications yet, but the system would be used for video capturing, editing, encoding, rendering and emulation etc.
Check out this thread which would give you an idea about CPU performance in PCSX2.

Clock speed comes into play heavily with these emu, since this emu is pretty much CPU-bound for the most part. The higher your clockrate, the more performance you will get. This by nature means you would want a chip that is very efficient, thus you want a chip with a high IPC. Those CPU's you listed would handle PCSX2 fine (though I don't see why anyone would use a multi-CPU workstation rig for PS2 emulation, but yeah lol.)

A GTX Titan would be overkill as well, but yeah it would handle whatever game you wanted to emulate just fine.

Software mode is generally more taxing than Hardware mode since the CPU is doing a vast majority of the work in that mode. The performance increase you get when adding extra rendering threads in software mode begins to diminish once you go past 3, generally.
(09-15-2013, 03:00 PM)Seraphic Wrote: Well, since software mode only allows for native resolution... it's out of the question as I am interested in at least 1080p with 59.94 FPS. That leaves hardware mode with 3 Cores at 3.6Ghz (with turbo boost) vs 3 Cores at 4.5Ghz (good overclock). How much does clock speed come into play here with PCSX2? Not sure on specifications yet, but the system would be used for video capturing, editing, encoding, rendering and emulation etc.

I'd suggest you pick whatever you feel is best for your video capturing and editing because either one of those CPUs will max out all PCSX2 games that are playable. Clock speed is very important but its not an issue with the two CPU's you mentioned. I've got an i5-3470 and i'm able to max out majority of games (except for titles like Shadow of the Colossus) so you'll be fine.
Don't buy a dual GPU like the Titan just for PCSX2. I made a similar mistake Sad (check sig)
AMD Phenom II X4 975 BE OC 4.0 GHz, Corsair Hydro H70
AMD Radeon HD 6990 OC, Accelero Twin Turbo
ASUS Crosshair V Formula 990FX
OCZ Revodrive 3 X2 240 Gb
16 Gb G.Skill 1833 MHz

23 PS2's
Titan is not a dual GPU though.
(09-15-2013, 05:19 PM)Seraphic Wrote: Titan is not a dual GPU though.

You're right... I thought it was a dual. Maybe I should get one Smile
AMD Phenom II X4 975 BE OC 4.0 GHz, Corsair Hydro H70
AMD Radeon HD 6990 OC, Accelero Twin Turbo
ASUS Crosshair V Formula 990FX
OCZ Revodrive 3 X2 240 Gb
16 Gb G.Skill 1833 MHz

23 PS2's
(09-15-2013, 05:22 PM)ps2freak Wrote: You're right... I thought it was a dual. Maybe I should get one Smile

plus titan is only one gpu in maket which is best till when 780 release .
Core i3 9100f 3.6Ghz
RAM=8GB
nvidia GT 1030
pcsx2 version-1.3.1