If MGS 2 struggles to run, what other games can I rule out?
So the GS for MSG 2 was almost always between 95 and 100%, making it pretty damn inplayable.

I feel like if my machine was just a little faster it could have coped, but not to be on this occasion.

Games that worked fine so far are
Resident evil - code veronica
Final Fantasy 10
GTA San Andreas.

Games I'd like to play are
Resident Evil 4
Gran Turismo 4

...Well, there' a lot.

But given my specs, what games could I rule out?

And also, someone knowledgeable about this, how much better would my specs have to be to run MGS 2 etc?
Cause I can still return this machine (got a week left I think)
But if it meant paying out double the price for a knew machine, I might just stick with it.
Windows 8.1 64

Intel® Core™ i5-4288U with Intel Iris HD Graphics 5100 (2.6 GHz, 3 MB cache, 2 cores)

8 GB 1600 MHz DDR3L SDRAM (1 x 8 GB)

Sponsored links

Which games do you own ?
Just list those, we'll tell you.
CPU : AMD Ryzen 7 3800X
Mobo : Asus PRIME B450-PLUS
GPU : NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070
RAM : 16 Go
IMO it's better to get a new desktop rather than replacing your laptop. most laptops are costly and aren't enough to play the games you mentioned above which are quite demanding. you could get a new budget build for under 350$ to play pcsx2 quite well, take a look at my sig.
We're supposed to be working as a team, if we aren't helping and suggesting things to each other, we aren't working as a team.
- Refraction
well you need a desktop CPU to be able to run that game in software mode the 4288u is an ultra book processor so it does not have much power behind it it has to stay within a 15 watt Thermal limit so it doesn't cook it's self. the only thing you do have going for you is the iris gpu which is still not much

Make sure to increase the rendering threads (when in software mode) to 4 to get the most out of the cpu secondly when running PCSX2 plug the laptop in or change it to the performance mode to keep your system from throttling down as much

that is the best i got for advise.

AS far as those two games i recommend trying them at the lowest possible setting (native res only) and play with the speed hacks to see how far you can bring up your FPS. A very CPU dependent game series and a good one to benchmark your system is the Armored Core series
Windows 10
Intel 5930k 4.2ghz/core
32 GBs of 2400MHz DDR4
AMD PoweColor 390X (GPUs are expensive or this would be in crossfire)
Okay just bring me up to speed on this "software mode", "performance mode", and how to adjust the threads.

I don't see any mention of them on the PSX 1.2.1 emulator.
Windows 8.1 64

Intel® Core™ i5-4288U with Intel Iris HD Graphics 5100 (2.6 GHz, 3 MB cache, 2 cores)

go to config>video>plugin settings.
change the Rednerer from Direct3d11 (Hardware) to Direct3d11 (Software)
in the Software mode Settings set the extra rendering threads to 4

You can only use native res with this setup

Press ok

TO change your laptops power plan Press windows key+Q

type in change power-saving settings.

click on the result of the same name
Change your power plan to performance

this might help with maintaining your clock speed for longer peroids of time
Windows 10
Intel 5930k 4.2ghz/core
32 GBs of 2400MHz DDR4
AMD PoweColor 390X (GPUs are expensive or this would be in crossfire)
Just to check, the GS plugin I am using is the GSdx 0.1.16, with the abbreviation SSSE3;
as oppose to the AVX2 abbreviation.
That the correct/best one?

Making them changes now; will throttle up and see how it goes.
Windows 8.1 64

If your cpu supports avx2 then use it. Especially in software mode. It is the best plugin for software mode and has some speed gain in comparison to the other plugins.

Edit: Your cpu supports avx2 so better to use it.
So out of all the plugins, I assume AVX2 is the best one?
There's the SSE series up to 3, then zeroGS and Nulldriver?

I adjusted the threads in the settings to 4.
So that's the most efficient number to have them at?

With the previously mentioned settings, it still lags slightly, but he GS % is much improved, and it's actually more playable now.
Windows 8.1 64

Woah, ***** gets HOT!!

There's still a slight lag.
In conjunction with the GS update, is there any adjustment to the speedhacks etc that goes specifically with that, just to totally fine tune it now?
Windows 8.1 64