If a game works perfectly at first...
...then is it safe to assume that it will continue running without issue? My curiosity stems from a desire to play full PS2 games that I have not played yet through emulation. I'm worried that even though I can play through the first half of a title perfectly, I'll arrive at an insurmountable bug that requires me to switch over to my PS2. I'm sure it's possible to switch saves over, but it's an annoyance I'd rather just do without if possible. So, if a game starts up fine, battles work fine, event scenes work fine,etc, is it safe to assume that it will continue as such? I'm sure there's no global answer, but if anyone has any experience with a certain game freezing at a particular point, that might be handy as well.

I recall games like the PSX's Princess of Marl Kingdom 2 which actually had a curious freezing bug in random places in epsxe (fixed in the newest version!) so it would deceptively work perfectly fine at first, and I'm also considering xenogears which would freeze at select parts ten hours into the story unless F7 was hit (switched to CPU emulation, I believe?). Obviously this issue had a workaround, but could similar issues be expected that don't have one on pcsx2?

Sponsored links

have a look at the compatibility list.
games marked as playable can be finished from the beginning till the end.
CPU : AMD Ryzen 7 3800X
Mobo : Asus PRIME B450-PLUS
GPU : NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070
RAM : 16 Go
Thanks! That's exactly the sort of answer that I was looking for.
Uh, I wouldn't bet on it though. We're not really testing the full game every time there's a status update.
The compat list always shows just a snapshot of the current emulator compatibility with the game engine.
Meaning the tester started the game and played a few minutes.
Games get the compatible status then when that passes.

Since we can't really test all those games with all those emulator revisions, there's always a "risk" involved that
indeed a weird emulation glitch stops your progress halfway through.
We have these forums however to ask for help then, and also provide a few options in the emulator for end users to try out.

Tip: Search the forum for your game before buying / starting it, see if there's any unresolved issues with it.
Haha, and that's just the sort of answer that I was afraid of Tongue2

Still, the allure of playing games on my laptop, essentially giving me a portable ps2, is too tantalizing to resist. I'll start playing some games and hope the worst doesn't happen (though by Murphy's Law, no emulation issues could possibly impede my progress until about the 50-hour mark of any given title)... and if it does, at least I have a place to come to for help Tongue2
Of course you're aware it need to be a "monster" of a laptop with powerful CPU and much above than average GPU to run PCSX2 at decent speed... else you'll see the poor thing losing a race against a snail.
Imagination is where we are truly real
solid278:
Bugs are possible, yeah, but we're pretty confident you can finish a game when it passes the first few minutes Wink
Haha, I wouldn't call my laptop a monster, but it's been performing decently well Tongue2 The only thing I've been using pcsx2 for so far is watching cutscenes from Xenosaga III, and those rarely dip to 45 fps, typically running closer to 55. I tried out Ico and Persona 4 and they both ran at 55-60 fps which was nice, and that's about the extent of my tests thus far Tongue2

For anyone that might be interested, I'm running on the Alienware M11xR2 (so I've got a 335M Nvidia GPU and i7 ULV processor. Pretty sure the latter is the bottleneck for ps2 emulation).
(07-11-2010, 04:14 PM)solid278 Wrote: Haha, I wouldn't call my laptop a monster, but it's been performing decently well Tongue2 The only thing I've been using pcsx2 for so far is watching cutscenes from Xenosaga III, and those rarely dip to 45 fps, typically running closer to 55.

Offtopic but, does Xenosaga III run much better than I? I have MANY slowdowns in XS I cutscenes, if they are real-time rendered and no FMVs.
Intel i5 3450
AsRock B75-Pro3-M
Sapphire R9 290 Tri-X OC
8GB DDR3-1333 RAM
Sandisk Ultra Plus 256GB
Seagate 7200.14 1TB x2
Enermax Triathlor 450W PSU
On Native scaling, XS3 is pretty light (fullspeed) here with Phenom [email protected] so I'd say yeah but I'm not too sure since I haven't tried XS1 yet.