Improve FFX performance on my tablet
my thread is about the best you're going to get without losing compatability completely. Side-note. Demi and Ifrit WILL slow you to a CRAWL. and Demi is VERY popular early game.

use THIS gsdx config, as your GPU will nto be cutting it and your CPU could take the hit better:

Quote:[Settings]
ShadeBoost_Contrast=50
ShadeBoost_Brightness=50
ShadeBoost_Saturation=50
Adapter=default
ModeWidth=0
ModeHeight=0
ModeRefreshRate=0
Renderer=4
Interlace=7
AspectRatio=0
upscale_multiplier=1
MaxAnisotropy=0
windowed=1
filter=2
paltex=0
logz=1
fba=1
aa1=0
nativeres=1
resx=1024
resy=1024
extrathreads=3
AnisotropicFiltering=0
ShadeBoost=1
Fxaa=0
shaderfx=0
UserHacks=0

Sponsored links

(08-03-2014, 08:38 PM)willkuer Wrote: If there is still interest:

Use a stable release instead of a GIT/SVN version. You will get a small performance increase.

Let it run from ISO not directly from the DVD and put it on your fastest HD (if you have several).

If you test the following settings always test them one-by-one and put it back to default if it didn't help.

Changing rounding and clamping modes can break the game but you can still try it.
Especially Clamping: None seems to increase fps if you are CPU limited. Nearest would be the corresponding value for Rounding. I would leave rounding as it is and use only clamping: none if it helps. If these settings don't break your game instantly it can happen that they will break it if the game changes. For example in minigames or cutscenes.
I don't know if FFX is one of the games that benefit from superVU but you just can try it. (setting vu0/1 to superVU instead of microVU).

If you are GS limited reducing the internal resolution can help but will reduce quality. Using skipdraw with low numbers in gsdx plugin settings / HW hacks can help as well but will remove some effects. Also play with Dx9 and Dx10/11. Normally Dx10/11 is faster nowadays but maybe there is a chance that Dx9 is faster for FFX.

In sound settings(SPU2-X) are still some parameters to tweak but I never tried that to increase FPS. It is written which are speedhack-like. If you still get slowdowns you should set the output to async mix instead of timestretch to get correct sound. This can break games as well.

You can also look into Saiki's Thread. I am sure that a lot of people got better results with those settings.

Good luck.

thanks for all the information! Biggrin Looks like I have plenty of things to try.

For an already playable game any improvement is very nice to have.

(08-03-2014, 09:10 PM)Saiki Wrote: my thread is about the best you're going to get without losing compatability completely. Side-note. Demi and Ifrit WILL slow you to a CRAWL. and Demi is VERY popular early game.

use THIS gsdx config, as your GPU will nto be cutting it and your CPU could take the hit better:

I'll give it a try, the main time i've seen my CPU struggle is FMV's and I think the demi stuff as well.

(08-03-2014, 07:53 PM)tsunami2311 Wrote: While there are possible tablets that cant run pcsx2 games most can not, i just saying you lucky you get what you get special if you have issue with FFX ... The link in my sig may help may or maynot help. its not magically gonna make things run full speed, and if you have issues with FFX which one lest demanding ps2 games you will have zero chance with anything else most like.

And this is why you demonstrate your lack of reading ability.

Why would I want to magically run things at full speed when my FFX already runs at full speed?

Also the atom processor in my tablet is super low power and my tablet does not overheat

I think your idea of how computers work is hilarious.

Your logic is that if I run settings on high quality and it lags then there is no chance that lowering the settings will fix that.

I had an old atom netbook and with a few console tweaks I got it fully playable in Team Fortress 2.

What helps my 2500k @ 4.5ghz with an ATI 290x will also help my tablet in 99% of circumstances.

There are people here who understand computers and they are offering suggestions, you clearly don't seem to understand them.
(08-04-2014, 02:29 AM)samfisher5986 Wrote: thanks for all the information! Biggrin Looks like I have plenty of things to try.

For an already playable game any improvement is very nice to have.

I'll give it a try, the main time i've seen my CPU struggle is FMV's and I think the demi stuff as well.

And this is why you demonstrate your lack of reading ability.

Why would I want to magically run things at full speed when my FFX already runs at full speed?

Also the atom processor in my tablet is super low power and my tablet does not overheat

I think your idea of how computers work is hilarious.

Your logic is that if I run settings on high quality and it lags then there is no chance that lowering the settings will fix that.

I had an old atom netbook and with a few console tweaks I got it fully playable in Team Fortress 2.

What helps my 2500k @ 4.5ghz with an ATI 290x will also help my tablet in 99% of circumstances.

There are people here who understand computers and they are offering suggestions, you clearly don't seem to understand them.

my logic is fine. Atom cpu is not even close to the power of desktop cpu from 5+ years ago. there low power for reason.

Nor can you compare a TF2 a PC game to emulations there not even in the same ballpark of what is required power wise.
(08-04-2014, 06:16 AM)tsunami2311 Wrote: my logic is fine. Atom cpu is not even close to the power of desktop cpu from 5+ years ago. there low power for reason.

Nor can you compare a TF2 a PC game to emulations there not even in the same ballpark of what is required power wise.

Doesn't change the fact that my game is already playable and any suggestions for improving performance are welcome.

If I started this thread saying the game was always below the right fps and i wanted to know how to make it work then I would understand.

Also I don't think you understand the progress atom CPU's have made. If I had asked you if I could play FFX on my atom CPU you would have said that it couldn't be done which is obvious based on your posts so far...
(08-04-2014, 06:36 AM)samfisher5986 Wrote: Doesn't change the fact that my game is already playable and any suggestions for improving performance are welcome.

If I started this thread saying the game was always below the right fps and i wanted to know how to make it work then I would understand.

Also I don't think you understand the progress atom CPU's have made. If I had asked you if I could play FFX on my atom CPU you would have said that it couldn't be done which is obvious based on your posts so far...

@samfisher5986: Coming from the team at Dolphin forums and just couldn't help reading this thread, what tsunami, nobbs and everyone else is trying to say is that Atom CPU's are designed for low power consumption, which means high demanding emulators such as PCSX2 and Dolphin will throttle down (work less during high usage to compensate for power and efficiency for the sake of not having the CPU burn and melt) These type of CPU's activates low power mode when reaching a certain amount high usage and requires a strong CPU to calculate complex instructions to emulate real console hardware. Think of running a program inside of a program (requires double amount of work) this is nowhere near playing PC games because PC games can run on low power thus only requiring less resources, such as GPU dependent. Emulators depend alot on the CPU, which an Atom clearly won't be able to hold for that much long until you suddenly start having issues on a tablet which has thin form factor = not good for air flow in emulation field.

I used to have an Acer netbook with an Atom processor and could go up as emulating PS1/N64 games on it, PCSX2 and Dolphin was choking the dam thing. I've been emulating for quite some time now so I know what I am talking about based on experience. If you want to try older builds just to gain 3 fps more be my guess, but when your tablet suddenly starts dropping frames later on during high demanding parts of the game or suddenly starts getting hot during constant high usage and no longer have anymore room to increase frames dont be surprised when internals/game starts breaking down.
(08-04-2014, 02:18 PM)cyrax33 Wrote: @samfisher5986: Coming from the team at Dolphin forums and just couldn't help reading this thread, what tsunami, nobbs and everyone else is trying to say is that Atom CPU's are designed for low power consumption, which means high demanding emulators such as PCSX2 and Dolphin will throttle down

Depends on the weather perhaps.

I have tested it and I haven't seen any throttling so far, basically leaving it at a high EE cpu section for a while and seeing if it drops any fps.. it hasn't so far.

Anyway the main use for this is on an airplane which I really don't think it would overheat on.
Only time will tell Rolleyes
If the PCSX2 version the same is as the Windows version I have one tip for the Demi/Fire scenes in the game.
In GSDX window tick (Enable HW Hacks) and then select configure.
Then use Skipdraw = 1
and enable Aggressive-CRC
This solved all my slowdowns in FFX and I am surprised that no one else ever suggests this...
The rest you should leave it on default, no speedhacks or whatever (It never helped me)
Skipdraw and Aggressive-CRC doesn't break any of the games that I play till now (I keep it allways on)
I hope this helps.
Processor: AMD Athlon X2 6000+ 3.0Ghz
Video Card: ATI Radeon HD4650
Rams: 4GB
Keep in mind Frozen that his CPU is slower then yours even if it's the latest Atom. Mobile/low power CPUs are nearly no close to desktop based CPUs.
(08-04-2014, 08:34 PM)StriFe79 Wrote: Keep in mind Frozen that his CPU is slower then yours even if it's the latest Atom. Mobile/low power CPUs are nearly no close to desktop based CPUs.

I know Strife, I just gave a tip over the Demi and fire slowdowns, I believe if it helps me with the slowdown by completely removing it (The slowness then) then perhaps with him it gives more FPS during those scenes, I didn't mean to say that he would be able to play at full speed...
I have no idea of how PCSX2 can run on a Tablet and at reasonable speed, but he said he got it to work so that's why the tip.
Processor: AMD Athlon X2 6000+ 3.0Ghz
Video Card: ATI Radeon HD4650
Rams: 4GB