Improving Final Fantasy X performance
Hey all, I recently installed pcsx2 with the sole purpose of playing FFX, but have been having some trouble getting it to work. I finally got it to actually run, but there's some new problems now.

The game runs at about 30 FPS, and the environment textures are all messed up, only the characters look normal. The audio is choppy as well. What settings/plugins are recommended for smooth gameplay? Here's what I'm using (I'll also post computer specs, maybe that's the problem):

Graphics: ZZ Ogl 0.16.123 (pcsx fails to load ZeroGS.dll for some reason as well)
Sound: ZeroSPU2 r514-Dev 0.4.6
Cdvdrom: Linuz Iso CDVD 0.80
Dev9: DEV9null Driver 0.30

I don't think any of the other plugins are relevant to performance but if they are I'll post them.

Here's my computer specs:

-Computer-
Processor : AMD Athlon™ 64 Processor 3800+
Memory : 2573MB (1515MB used)
Operating System : Ubuntu 9.10
User Name : daniel (Daniel)
Date/Time : Wed 04 Nov 2009 12:42:06 PM MST
-Display-
Resolution : 1920x1200 pixels
OpenGL Renderer : GeForce 8600 GT/PCI/SSE2
X11 Vendor : The X.Org Foundation
-Multimedia-
Audio Adapter : HDA-Intel - HDA NVidia
-SCSI Disks-
ATA ST3120213AS
HL-DT-ST DVDRRW GSA-H30L

Let me know if there's anything else I should post. Oh and I'm running pcsx2 (windows version) under Wine in Ubuntu, though I don't think that should have much of an impact.

Sponsored links

Pcsx2 needs a powerful system to run well, yours can be considered as too weak. The single core cpu is the main problem.
Then you're trying to run it on wine.. I'm totally surprised it even starts AND get's you more than 1fps,
considering it's an additional emulation layer your cpu has to manage.

So my best advice would be that you upgrade your pc if possible, install your windows on a separate partition, and play from there.
I don't have any experience with Wine, but can it support GSDx? because I believe that one will work better than zzOgl.
[Image: 813647.png]
+ geforce GT 440 @ Win7 64bit
GSDx through a DirectX to OpenGL translator... It may work... but it will be slower without a doubt and will likely be far glitchier, especially since Wine doesn't support (or at least not fully support) DX10 so you'd be stuck in the slower and buggier DX9 mode anyways.
[Image: 2748844.png]
If possible I'd like to run it at least semi-ok with my system, can't really upgrade it right now.

And yeah I'd like stick to some kind of openGL plugin
So you mean the only way you could get pcsx2 to work on Linux was through WINE, even though pcsx2 has native Linux binaries? Sad

How does WINE work with DirectX 9/10? Did you have to download and install DX9/10 with with WINE somehow, or did your GS plug-in work like a charm when you tried it out on FFX without having to get anything?
At least install windows natively and use GSdx. That'll solve a lot of issues.
Wine works with DX fine, and sometimes even games run. A 10 or 20 minutes, until crush. And you don't need to pay $100 for useless Windows box ;-). But Wine DX wrapper is pretty slow, Diablo 1 run fine.
Aha, it "works fine" and *sometimes* even games run! wow. And if they do, they do so for 20 minutes? This is so awesome, it nearly makes me scrap my free windows7 in favor of this Linux experience.

Then again, I'd rather work on this emulator than wrestling with my computer all day. Crappix is not meant for gaming, and it shows so on every aspect of it.
... well now you're just inviting someone to snap back with name calling of their own like "Winblows."
Jake Stine (Air) - Programmer - PCSX2 Dev Team