In 4-5 years?
Okay sorry for misinfomartion.

Well if thats the case then only way to is to increase cpu internal calculation power by MIPS/MHz and FLOPS/MHz value, meaning less clocks, more power inbuild (Happens when process technology going smaller and smaller and cpu makers (Intel, AMD, VIA) can add more transistors in cpu and new technological solutions).

My CPU perfomance
[Image: FireFlower.jpg]
[Image: 463094.png]

Sponsored links

Well its quite normal for this to happen, the 'young & strong' replaces the 'old & weak'. But they can never really die. I was playing my Sega Mega Drive just the other day, Streets Of Rage FTW.

Consoles never really die, as long as you want to play it and enjoy playing it then of course keep playing it. I have a SDTV which I have all my older consoles hooked up to, keep a SDTV just for them if its how ugly they look on HDTV's that worries you.

But to answer your question (Which cant be answered really as no one can see into the future) I would say, just have a look at how far PCSX2 has come in the last 4-5 years.
» Intel Core 2 Duo E6300 (@3.2 Ghz) | GeForce 8800GT 512MB | 2GB OCZ DDR2 800 «
» Asus P5B Rev C1 | Thermaltake Soprano | Thermaltake Big Typhoon VX «
» Beta Tester for nullDC «
most of the comments are pretty accurate...I also agree that its questionable if the pcsx2 can ever be 'perfect'.

It just seems like such a tough job...like messing with something extremely unnatural. Every game that renders even 'near perfect' (like Persona 3) is like a miracle [thank you DAZ!].

What I'M MORE interested in is that pcsx2 marks the DEATH OF EMULATION. I mean, how far has the gamecube and Xbox emulation teams gotten? cruddy right? (btw gj pcsx2 devs)

But this means after Ps2's generation, Xbox360, Ps3, and even nintendo Wii. Emulation is so dead, Pcsx2 is like the final punch into the emu-world (aside from mebbe handhelds). And will it even be near perfect?... I DOUBT IT.

With marginal costs and benefits all noted, I gotta hand it to the devs on this team. They surely are devoted, coming up with new stuff all the time. But with these costs/benefits we have to realize just HOW OLD ps2 is. Another 4 years! By then, I'm sure your fears are correct. No one is going to touch a ps2 because of the outdated graphics/engine! Heck, the Ps4 will be just around the corner...
3.0ghz E8400 Dual Core Processor
4 Gigs Corsair DDR2 RAM
(2x)8800GT SLI (dual cards)
Ninja
Umm Dolphin has quite a lot of Wii and Gamecube games playable and evolving at a rapid rate. Xbox emulation is taking really slow steps (Though work is still being done, however the 'want' is not as big as the other two console as most the 'big hitters' on the Xbox were ported to the PC at any rate).

It doesn't mark the end of emulation, it just means that it will take years and years and years to find way to emulate / have systems powerful enough to emulate the systems, its not like PCSX2 sprung up over night. However I do agree with you, the progression is going to be very slow, even more so since they are now firmware based.
» Intel Core 2 Duo E6300 (@3.2 Ghz) | GeForce 8800GT 512MB | 2GB OCZ DDR2 800 «
» Asus P5B Rev C1 | Thermaltake Soprano | Thermaltake Big Typhoon VX «
» Beta Tester for nullDC «
(12-18-2008, 02:27 AM)antipunt Wrote: But this means after Ps2's generation, Xbox360, Ps3, and even nintendo Wii. Emulation is so dead, Pcsx2 is like the final punch into the emu-world (aside from mebbe handhelds). And will it even be near perfect?... I DOUBT IT.

With marginal costs and benefits all noted, I gotta hand it to the devs on this team. They surely are devoted, coming up with new stuff all the time. But with these costs/benefits we have to realize just HOW OLD ps2 is. Another 4 years! By then, I'm sure your fears are correct. No one is going to touch a ps2 because of the outdated graphics/engine! Heck, the Ps4 will be just around the corner...

Companies sink a whole lot of money into giving people an experience they cannot get on their desktop computers, and incidentally create devices that easily qualify as the most powerful computer in your house. So maybe in a good 5 years we'll see some 360 or PS3 action, but I doubt it.

The PS3 has what amounts to 8 custom-designed processors clocked at 3.2 Ghz. I don't even know where to begin emulating that kind of power.
"This thread should be closed immediately, it causes parallel imagination and multiprocess hallucination" --ardhi
I think this discussion isn't going anywhere and should just stop here. It's getting pointless. So a small recap of my ideas...

Facts:
- Ps2 emulation is getting good
- Gamecube and wii emulation is getting good
- xbox-xbox360 emulation isn't going anywhere cause there's not much point t it. Most games get ported to or are proted from pc so...

Other facts:
- A game's graphic isn' t everything. In fact, it's only a small part. The only people who judge a game by graphics and go "Ohhhh" "Ahhhh" by seeing highly detailed textures are 13 years old kids. And people whose brain never developed beyond 13 years old.
- You do not emulate a game to pirate it, you emulate a game because you want features (savegames, screenshots, savestates..) and because you want to keep the console "alive" after its natural life duration.
- Emulation will get slower maybe, but it will not die. There IS a limit to graphics in consoles and Pcs. Once that limit is reached, and it WILL be reached in not so many years (that is, complete graphical realism), the power required for the consoles will tend to stop increasing.

And now, everyone's favorite. Predictions. I will say right now that predictions are pointless. Let us see a few "predictions"...
- 13 years ago the internet as a public phenomenon did NOT exist. Now, a world without internet is unthinkable.
- Moore's law states that every 18 months the processors performance doubles. This has always been true up to now. This means that in 5 years we could have CPUs with 8 times the performance of current CPUs, and the same goes for video cards.
- Experts reckon we will have full immersion, fully shared virtual reality in 20 years. And THAT will change the world forever, once again.
- And intel says that by 2050 they will have the first true artificial intelligence, a lot smarter than any human who ever lived
- And finally, last but not least,we could all be dead in 6 months if a huge asteroid hits the earth, or a global nuclear war starts.

End of the story people, nobody knows the future, and in this day and age, the age of informatics, nobody can really predict anything. So, stop worrying and just take things as they come.
Cause being here worried, or feeling down thinking about the future, is absolutely useless. You should just live and enjoy your life, that's it....
If you don't, you'll miss out every good thing that happens to you Smile

PS2 emulation is progressing, and it should be enough for you. And this topic has already gone enough off-topic as it is XD
lol..

krakatos you're an 'interesting guy' ^______________^;;

but all that aside, DAM, full virtual immersion.... thats...something worth looking forward to (o.O)
3.0ghz E8400 Dual Core Processor
4 Gigs Corsair DDR2 RAM
(2x)8800GT SLI (dual cards)
Ninja
In 4-5 years, maybe a PCSX3 will be released?
I highly doubt that one. The psp and ds are the newest ones to the scene as far as new emulators go.

I wonder too about how not just this emulator will be in 5 years, but how technology itself will be. How sad it is, that all of those born from here on will not know how life was before the internet came about. Its a fantastic thing that has integrated the world to a large extent (just have a look at all the various countries that the posters here are all from and this is just one forum). Integration on this kindof scale has never occured before in history.

10 years ago I thought (as did many other people) that virtual reality was the way of the future in gaming, and computer technology ingeneral. Now 10 years later I`m not so sure. Back then mobile phones were still a "new" thing and now we have ipods and iphones. Whose to say what technology will be like in another 10 years. I sure as hell look forward to finding out Smile.

One interesting aspect I`m finding is happening more and more, is that as technology continues to get better and improve and games as well for that matter, people are looking back more and more of what came before, the systems and technologies which came first. Just look at the retro gaming scene now compared to say 10 years ago. Has increased exponentially.
Old habits die hard - System Shock
i think issue isnt component power, but code optimalization of this emulator, you cant expect 4-5Ghz cpu, today development go other way, way of increasing number of cores, and you need optimalizing this software for this (not create software singlethreaded and waiting for day when CPU will have more GHz and run double time faster, these times are out). But this way is much more complicated and need much more time and effort.

So i think, PCSX2 should be optimalized (or rewriten) for multithreading/multi-core.

And its just CPU thing, there are powerfull graphic cards too..