Input on ffx performance with PCSX2
FIrst off I DO have an original ps2 with the game and all that so im not talking about doing anything illegal here.. With that said what im wanting to know is, with my laptop specs i want to know what i can expect to get out of playing ffX in terms of FPS.

My specs-
Acer Aspire 7739Z-4605
intel pentium P6200 processor
4GB DDR3 memory
intel HD onboard graphics

Im pretty sure thats all that should matter but mainly I want input on this so I dont go through all the trouble to get it to work on my laptop. Any help is much appreciated

*edit* im sure a lot of you guys are more computer savy than me but just thought id add that according to google my processor is a dual core and i saw where you need at least a dual core to play pcsx2 decently so that raised my hopes a bit

Sponsored links

Your CPU is clocked at 2.13 GHz which is pretty low for PCSX2 AND it is an old architecture which doesn't help either. Then we get to the graphics chip which is extremely weak (not even a dedicated graphics card).
With all these facts, you will not get good speeds with PCSX2. You should use all speed hacks you can and check 'native' in GSdx hoping that you will get some decent speeds with FFX since it's a light game, but nothing more than that.
[Image: newsig.jpg]
(01-31-2012, 12:04 PM)Bositman Wrote: Your CPU is clocked at 2.13 GHz which is pretty low for PCSX2 AND it is an old architecture which doesn't help either. Then we get to the graphics chip which is extremely weak (not even a dedicated graphics card).
With all these facts, you will not get good speeds with PCSX2. You should use all speed hacks you can and check 'native' in GSdx hoping that you will get some decent speeds with FFX since it's a light game, but nothing more than that.

so is it even worth my time to attempt honestly?
Well how much time will it take you, 10 mins? Tongue It depends if you're up to playing the game at low speeds, if you certainly want 100% speed throughout the game, don't even try no.
Oh trust me it'll probably take at least an hour for me to tweak everything right and get everything to where it can run IF it even can run from the sound of things. ive never messed with the pcsx2 before and im new to this kind of thing. I do have an idea though. what if I overclocked my computer? I keep it on for days at a time and it never really gets that hot, seems to handle all my game playing rather well. and actually intel Hd isnt terrible like it will run a good variety of some newer games at decent speed, i guess on the spectrum it could be considered to be somewhere in between.
OCing might help. It will certainly not take you hours. You just use default settings, check 'native' in GSdx and enable all speed hacks with [recommended] besides them. Check the performance, if it sucks start adding some of the other speed hacks, that's it basically.
With your current hardware, i'd personally just play it on your PS2 mate. If your willing to do a mild overclock, providing you know how (overclock.net for info/advice on that area) You could possibly get better results using GSdx's software renderer, seeing as your display adapter is integrated, and not a pci/e or even an archaic AGP GPU, GL.

Edit: typo
Awesome i'll look into that for sure. im just going to at least see if it'll run it then post results and if i have any problems. gotta finish playing ffVII first lol.

Disk drive messed up a while back on my ps2 it's pretty bad lol. Otherwise thats what id be playing it on. I cheated pretty bad since
I had a codebreaker, id like to go back through and play it again without cheating at all.

If your not sure what your doing regarding pcsx2's setup, you could try using a preset, which i find handy for some games, rather than switching manually per game, and to my knowledge, FFX didn't require any special settings on the latest svn to work, other than the fmv fix which is automatically set.

Presets are located in: Config->Emulation Settings->Preset (which is on the bottom left of the dialog, as a check box, and slider)

Edit: Forgot to mention try each preset while the game is running and monitor your frame rate with each one, and pick the one that provides the best FPS. (i'd stay away from the last two on the right, unless your desperate as they can create more problems/slow downs than help)