Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Intel Core 2 Duo T9600
I just read that:

"The T9600 is also the only T-series CPU to feature Intel Turbo Boost Technology, which enables the core to exceed its normal frequency if power, current, and temperature are below their specification limits."

Does this mean that my T9600 could preform better than a T9800, which looks identical aside from frequency? I had originally considered eventually upgrading to a T9800 or T9900, but I think I may want to look into this first.

Anyone have any thoughts? Could someone suggest a way to find out exactly (in real-time) what frequency my CPU can reach and a method to encourage the "Turbo Boost"?

Sponsored links

I don't know about the Intel Turbo Boost, but you can use CPU-Z to see what frequency your CPU has. You can try to overclock your T9600, you don't need to buy a new T9800 for only some extra MHz.
Athlon x2 240 2.8 GHz / HD5670 512MB / 2 GB RAM DDR2-800 / Windows 7 x64

"Pardoning the bad is injuring the good."
I had a feeling CPU-Z would be brought up right away. Does anyone know for sure that it can recognize "Turbo Boost"?
I have no idea what you're on about.
http://ark.intel.com/Product.aspx?id=35563
Nappa: Vegeta! What does the scouter say about his power level?
Vegeta: It's...one thousand and six.
Nappa: Wh-...really?
Vegeta: Yeah! Beat him up Nappa!
Nappa: Yay!
Yep. That's for sure. I thought it was crazy (see here). Before I jumped the gun, I did search on Google and found someone talking the same about it. I didn't even bother checking Intel's site. The last time I'd been there they had info missing on some stuff that was available elsewhere.

Thanks for pointing that out, dr_thrax. BTW It doesn't look like CPU-Z detects Turbo Boost, but there is a program that specificly does. (Not that I can test it Smile)
Ah, I see now.
It's not the same as the i7's Turbo Boost.
Basically, it speeds the CPU up by a small amount the same way turbo boost does.
Except, instead of 2-3 multipliers, it only increases .5-1 multiplier and even then, it rarely does it.
In a nutshell, you can only access this feature if you are running a single threaded app and your temperature is below the threshold, which is rare for a laptop.
Nappa: Vegeta! What does the scouter say about his power level?
Vegeta: It's...one thousand and six.
Nappa: Wh-...really?
Vegeta: Yeah! Beat him up Nappa!
Nappa: Yay!
So basically, this "mini turbo boost" will never affect PCSX2 anyway.

Is this actually exclusive to the T9600, though? I have a hard time believing they wouldn't have givin' the T9800 or T9900 this feature.

EDIT: Just thought I'd come back and clear this up now that I think I found this.

This must be IDA (Intel Dynamic Acceleration). This is a feature on all mobile Intel Core 2 Duo processors in the T, P, SP, SL and SU series (not just the T9600). It does work much like described. Now that you know the name of the feature, you can look up further details.