Interlaced Video To Interlaced Display?
(11-09-2015, 12:24 AM)willkuer Wrote: You can set deinterlacing to none and just connect both, or?

What would you actually like to achive? Are you not satisfied with the current situation?

Btw. I don't know what you mean by hd hacks but gsdx allows upscaling wich increases efficiently the output resolution. You could call that a hd hack.

I don't think setting it to "none" actually send out an interlaced video signal.

GS Mode Selector lets you tell the PS2 "GPU" to use a certain mode before you boot a game.

It'd be really nice if PCSX2 could just tell the emulated PS2 to render the game in Progressive Scan, but I recall reading that's too complicated or a KS/WF.

Sponsored links

I guess you are right and it doesn't create interlaced images. Otherwise it will probably look different on lcd's. Deinterlacing was just the first coming to my mind but it probably just removes interlacing filters.

I still don't get exactly what you want to achieve. Does it look bad? I think there are some users on the forum using a crt. I never heard complains.
(11-09-2015, 12:46 AM)willkuer Wrote: I guess you are right and it doesn't create interlaced images. Otherwise it will probably look different on lcd's. Deinterlacing was just the first coming to my mind but it probably just removes interlacing filters.

I still don't get exactly what you want to achieve. Does it look bad? I think there are some users on the forum using a crt. I never heard complains.

"Deinterlacing" is the process of taking an interlaced signal(what the PS2 usually outputs) and converting it to a video format you can video on a "progressive scan"(what most or all modern monitors/LCDs use). I am unaware of any Interlacing "Filters" for PCSX2. Interlacing filters for emulation are typically alternating bars of video darkened to simulate scanlines of a CRT. And is typically used on a non-interlaced video, not on an already de-interlaced interlaced video.

It looks bad on an LCD. As I said I would prefer just using an emulated progressive scan video mode from the emulated PS2, but it seems the emulator has to use an interlaced video.

PS: The difference between an LCD and a CRT using interlaced is that the CRT was actually designed to have alternating scanlines and the scanlines are physically offset from eachother. Which is why "Bob"(the purest of de-interlacing methods) makes it appear as if the lines are moving up and down. Because on the intended display(CRT) the lines would actually be in a physically different location on the screen.
Sorry I had some heavy misunderstanding of basics. I always thought algorithms as bob try to improve interlaced image quality (e.g. by removing moiré effects). That's why I called it interlacing filter. I thought these hinder us from creating nice sharp progressive images and - if the game applied bob in the gs - we do anti-bob named as Deinterlacing(bob) in pcsx2 in order to remove it. After some wikipedia I know better and now I understand your idea.

As gsdx is low level emulated the video output depends on the game. Some games support progressive output but they are few and I think they often have more glitched graphics in progressive mode. So you have to live most of the time with interlaced images (that are normally deinterlaced).

But now again I would guess if you use no deinterlacing (in the sense of Deinterlacing(none)) and create an interlaced image out of it (either in your gpu or by using an active converter HDMI->Component as most user would do) you should get what you want. I guess Deinterlacing(none) creates a progressive image with alternating updates of even or odd lines. If you now send alternating lines of this progressive image to your crt you should get the same as directly sending interlaced frames except you might be delayed by one refresh interval (30 ms) and possibly get synchronization issues/tearing if you are not vsyncing properly pcsx2, gpu and crt.
(11-09-2015, 12:09 PM)willkuer Wrote: Sorry I had some heavy misunderstanding of basics. I always thought algorithms as bob try to improve interlaced image quality (e.g. by removing moiré effects). That's why I called it interlacing filter. I thought these hinder us from creating nice sharp progressive images and  - if the game applied bob in the gs - we do anti-bob named as Deinterlacing(bob) in pcsx2 in order to remove it. After some wikipedia I know better and now I understand your idea.

As gsdx is low level emulated the video output depends on the game. Some games support progressive output but they are few and I think they often have more glitched graphics in progressive mode. So you have to live most of the time with interlaced images (that are normally deinterlaced).

But now again I would guess if you use no deinterlacing (in the sense of Deinterlacing(none)) and create an interlaced image out of it (either in your gpu or by using an active converter HDMI->Component as most user would do) you should get what you want. I guess Deinterlacing(none) creates a progressive image with alternating updates of even or odd lines. If you now send alternating lines of this progressive image to your crt you should get the same as directly sending interlaced frames except you might be delayed by one refresh interval (30 ms) and possibly get synchronization issues/tearing if you are not vsyncing properly pcsx2, gpu and crt.

Pretty much, except my TV has HDMI, so I can just use that.

I don't think any options actually change the resolution of the screen at "fullscreen". I'll do some tests later, but it would seem I would need to be able to specify a resolution to send to my TV before trying to hack an interlace signal would work.

PS: I solved it by setting the GPU plugin to 4x resolution. Seems to have no affect on framerate.

https://i.imgur.com/PUCf779.png

Before my choices were missing lines, blurring lines, or having obvious interlaces artifacts during movement.

Update: It seems like no matter my "xn" Native settings or "Window" size settings I use, it always uses my desktop resolution. Maybe I can modify my desktop resolution.