Invalid: [Bug Report] INI issues
PCSX2 version: Official Beta 3119, Official v0.9.7 release
Plugins currently in use: here.

Description:
Whenever I attempt to modify the settings for PCSX2, I receive the following error:

[wx] Failed to copy the file 'C:\Users\VF\Documents\pcsx2\inis\pcsC3AF.tmp' to 'C:\Users\VF\Documents\pcsx2\inis\pcsx2.ini' (error 5: access is denied.)
[wx] can't commit changes to file 'C:\Users\VF\Documents\pcsx2\inis\pcsx2.ini' (error 5: access is denied.)
[wx] Failed to update user configuration file.

It doesn't seem to apply any speed hacks, resize the window, or anything that could modify the settings (this includes turbo and frame skipping, along with many more features). There are no other instances of PCSX2 running when I attempt this, I made sure to check none of the files were "read-only", I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling into different locations, and I always ran the emulator as admin.

This is my first time posting here, so I apologize if I made any mistakes.

Sponsored links

You seem to have japanese language support enabled and forced, is that right?
Try to turn that off then and see if that was the problem.
(07-10-2010, 01:51 PM)rama Wrote: You seem to have japanese language support enabled and forced, is that right?
Try to turn that off then and see if that was the problem.

Just tried that, didn't seem to change anything. I still received the error when I attempted to modify the settings. This seems to occur when I mess around with any of the plugins, as well, but I'm pretty sure that the plugin effects ARE taking place inside the games I play. (I used one of the interlacing options on one of the game to solve a shaking issue, and it solved that.)

Could it be possible that the error message is somehow mistaken in there being an error, or do the plugins handle themselves separately from the main settings of PCSX2?
No, nothing tricky like that. The problem is really just "(error 5: access is denied.)".
Now this could be caused due to insufficient rights (try running PCSX2 as administrator) or
due to errors parsing the path.
(07-10-2010, 03:13 PM)rama Wrote: No, nothing tricky like that. The problem is really just "(error 5: access is denied.)".
Now this could be caused due to insufficient rights (try running PCSX2 as administrator) or
due to errors parsing the path.

Hm, I see. I've tried running as admin, and I'm not sure how to check for any errors in the path.

Could it possibly be a registry error?
could your ini files be set as read-only?
[Image: 1816969.png]
I've run into this same issue once before, though I had no idea at the time how it happened nor how to reproduce it. Perhaps I can reproduce it by editing the ini file manually as you have. I'll keep you posted on what I discover.
Jake Stine (Air) - Programmer - PCSX2 Dev Team
(07-10-2010, 09:15 PM)anorexic Wrote: could your ini files be set as read-only?
I checked that. The ini files are not read only.

(07-10-2010, 09:27 PM)Air Wrote: I've run into this same issue once before, though I had no idea at the time how it happened nor how to reproduce it. Perhaps I can reproduce it by editing the ini file manually as you have. I'll keep you posted on what I discover.

I apologize for the confusion, but I did not edit the ini files manually at any point. I simply went back and checked them after each edit to confirm that nothing changed.

I'm a bit scared to edit them manually. I keep worrying I mess up the stats or get things wrong and wind up in a bigger mess.
Ah, crud. That sucks.

Well in that case, just delete the \pcsx2\inis folder in your documents. When it recreates the ini from scratch this error typically goes away.

I really don't know what causes it, and the one time I had it happen, I couldn't get a more conclusive answer. For the record, I have the same error happen in Subversion (SVN) sometimes, when synching my PCSX2 backup repositories; and it has happened to me on multiple Win7 machines now. It's doing the same thing: creating temp files and then trying to rename them over existing files, and then getting a permission denied or corrupted filesystem error. I'm fairly convinced its a bug in Windows 7 (And possibly Vista) NTFS.
Jake Stine (Air) - Programmer - PCSX2 Dev Team
(07-11-2010, 01:38 AM)Air Wrote: Ah, crud. That sucks.

Well in that case, just delete the \pcsx2\inis folder in your documents. When it recreates the ini from scratch this error typically goes away.

I really don't know what causes it, and the one time I had it happen, I couldn't get a more conclusive answer. For the record, I have the same error happen in Subversion (SVN) sometimes, when synching my PCSX2 backup repositories; and it has happened to me on multiple Win7 machines now. It's doing the same thing: creating temp files and then trying to rename them over existing files, and then getting a permission denied or corrupted filesystem error. I'm fairly convinced its a bug in Windows 7 (And possibly Vista) NTFS.

Alright.

Attempted to delete all the INI files, still got all the errors.

I picked up the SVN build from SomethingAwful, and that version seems to to be able to modify the ini file without any errors.

The only difference between the official build and the SA build is the location of the INI. The official build was located in My Documents, whereas the SA build was located in the same folder as the .exe.

The official version is still giving me errors. Is there anything you guys want me to try out? I'd like to help you narrow this down so no one else gets caught with this problem again.

Edit by Refraction: No posting SVN build links please.