Invalid: [Bug Report] System out of Memory
Hello,

After playing Final Fantasy XII (PAL) for a while windows complains that PCSX2 is using up too much memory and needs to close. I can ignore the warning, but if I continue to play it crashes soon after. This happens in the r1888 version, which most people seem to be using. I have 4gb ram installed and a 1gb sized pagefile. When I check task manager when windows complains, RAM usage is usually around 40% and according to resource monitor PCSX2 is using 500mb of RAM, which is far less than what is avaible. I am using the default settings for everything except the controller and graphics plugin. For the controller plugin I only configured all my buttons (using keyboard). I am using the SSE41 graphics plugin with the following settings:

Resolution: 1680x1050 60hz
Renderer: Direct3D9 (Hardware)
Interlacing: None
Aspect Ratio: 16:9
D3D internal res: 1680 - 1680 (native checkbox disabled)
Texture filtering, Logarithmic Z, Allow 8-bit textures, Alpha correction and Windowed checkboxes are enabled. The rest is disabled.

My system consists of the following major parts:
Q9650 @ 4140 mhz (24 hour prime blend plus 20 passes of linpack at max memory usage stable, hasn't given me any problems in any programs/games whatsoever)
4x 1gb DDR2 RAM @ 1104mhz 5-5-5-15
ATI HD4870x2 GPU using the latest 9.9 drivers downloaded directly from ATI's site

What could this problem be? If there's anything I could do to produce a logfile of some sort or something else to help you guys debug, let me know and I'll try to help out. Hopefully this issue can be solved and hopefully I've given enough information about the setup and the issue itself.

Kind regards,
Mushoz

Sponsored links

Do you have msaa enabled in GSdx by chance?
Which option do you mean exactely? I can't find such option. This is what my graphics plugin looks like:

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Umm, I think he means the MSAA line in the gsdx ini
(MSAA=<Value>) Which is what enables it I presume...
Ivy Bridge 3770K @ 3.9GHz - MSI TwinFrozr GTX680 4GB...
...Nerpyderp.
(10-04-2009, 01:46 AM)NoVaX1000 Wrote: Umm, I think he means the MSAA line in the gsdx ini
(MSAA=<Value>) Which is what enables it I presume...

Oh, no, I haven't done any ini editing so far. I'm just using the defaults. All the options I changed were mentioned in my start post. It's a bit weird though. A friend of mine started playing as well and he has no troubles whatsoever with the same version of PCSX2 and FFXII (PAL).
Yeah, I figured you'd know that option if you set it Wink

Hmm, so it's not that. Did you try using DX10 yet?
(10-04-2009, 02:04 AM)rama Wrote: Yeah, I figured you'd know that option if you set it Wink

Hmm, so it's not that. Did you try using DX10 yet?

DX10 is acting even weirder. The ATI drivers sometimes crash during playing or alt-tabbing. If the drivers successfully recover I'm in luck, but I still have to reload an older save game. If they do not successfully recover I have to reset the PC to get it working again.

PS: Not sure if it might be an issue with my HD4870x2. It's working fine in every PC game I've played so far (a LOT!), but PCSX2 doesn't use crossfire and because of the fact it's a dualGPU card, there might be some issue between the drivers and PCSX2 causing the drivers to lock up. I'll most likely buy a 5870 soon to get similair performance without the dualGPU crap (Sometimes barely scaling or no scaling at all, microstuttering, random issues, etc) at a lower power draw, which will save me money and heat. Smile But for now I'm still waiting for them to get down in price a bit before I jump on it. Untill then, I'd like to try and find a solution for this problem, so I can enjoy FFXII now, too Smile
Well, never alt-tab out of GSdx (or do anything fancy with its window).
In DX10 mode all you'll ever do is alt+enter in and out of fullscreen Wink
(10-04-2009, 02:29 AM)rama Wrote: Well, never alt-tab out of GSdx (or do anything fancy with its window).
In DX10 mode all you'll ever do is alt+enter in and out of fullscreen Wink

Alt + enter has the same issue as well. The driver might or might not crash. It appears to be random. But it also randomly crashes while just playing in DX10. The screen turns black. Sometimes it comes back on with an error message that the ATI driver crashed and was successfully recovered, or the screen stays black, which I assume means that recovering the driver wasn't so successful Tongue2

Right now, what I'm doing basicly, is playing in DX9 mode. Once I get the low memory warning I have atleast 1 minute to make a savestate/savegame and restart the application to continue on playing. It is getting tiring, though Laugh I'd much rather have it work like it's supposed to work.

PS: I'm off to bed now, I'll check this thread tomorrow morning/afternoon. Please do continue bringing up more good ideas. Hopefully I'll be able to eliminate the problem with the great help I'm getting tomorrow. If not, I'll make a screenshot of the exact error I'm getting, together with an open window of task memory showing plenty of memory avaible. It might be of use with troubleshooting the problem.

Thank you very much guys! Smile
I'd love to help, but so far I have no idea what could be up.
Soo, did you try lowering your overclock yet? Tongue2