Is PCSX2 native or upscaled?
I'm having a discussion with someone where I claimed software based PS2 emulation (specifically this one) has the added bonus of native HD rendering as opposed to upscaling. He crossed my post out and claimed he fixed it by removing the lies. I was wondering if I could have more proof of the wonder that is PCX2's native high resolution rendering as opposed to simply upscaling

Sponsored links

You loose. Graphic's plugins do both upscaling and high-resolution rendering. Look at Disgaea -- high resolution flame and polygons here. But characters figurines are upscaled. And 3d primitives (vertex-based objects) are rendered in HD, but we could not do anything with textures, expect upscaling.
(05-12-2009, 10:55 AM)Zeydlitz Wrote: You loose. Graphic's plugins do both upscaling and high-resolution rendering.

Wait, which was it? I lose, or it ups the native rendering resolution? Cause you said I was wrong, then said it does what proves me right.

Does it or does not change the native internal rendering resolution or is it JUST upscaling/filtering?

Quote:And 3d primitives (vertex-based objects) are rendered in HD, but we could not do anything with textures, expect upscaling.

I know this, however he is claiming you aren't rendering anything in HD, and ONLY applying upscaling/filtering to the native game resolution
The plugins do increase native internal rendering (see GSDX internal resolution), but the only way to do it is with Hardware rendering, not by Software rendering. Software always renders at native (for now?).
(05-12-2009, 11:46 AM)stpdrgstr Wrote: The plugins do increase native internal rendering

thank you.
I read the thread and my advise is to just leave it alone as it doesn't seem like they'll ever change their viewpoint. The GOW screenshots should have shut them up but it didn't so they'll just keep editing you mails. You could try point out that by their definition the only difference between running a PC game like Crysis at 800x600 and 1600x1200 is upscaling since the game would use the same textures at both resolutions. As it happens the texture memory for a PS2 is actually shocking so low-res low-colour (usually palletised) textures are often used but the saving grace is that the progammers found other non-texture dependant ways to display graphics which mean there's a real benefit to increasing the resolution.

As a side point it is also possible to render at higher resolutions with software but it defeats the point as software maintains its higher compatibility by keeping a bit for bit integrity with the real ps2 vram. Gsdx plugin can also be used as a PSX emulator plugin (with ePSXe for instance) and it has the option of rendering at double (or even triple) the standard resolution in software but at a massive amount of CPU utilisation so the cost would be way to prohibative with PS2 emulation.
Once again, some things could be rendered at high res, but nit all! All texttures have fixed resolution and there is no way to properly render them on HD. So user see squares and ladders here and there. It is NOT HD rendering, it's only upscaling.
(05-12-2009, 01:45 PM)Zeydlitz Wrote: Once again, some things could be rendered at high res, but nit all! All texttures have fixed resolution and there is no way to properly render them on HD. So user see squares and ladders here and there. It is NOT HD rendering, it's only upscaling.

Yes I understand that textures have to be upscaled. But that's not the question I'm asking. Thank you for trying though, your assistance is appreciated.

To the poster above: Thank you as well
lol that thread is awesome

it's like showing someone a glass of milk and say "hey the liquid is white like milk and it tastes like milk, so it's milk" and someone says "dude thats not milk, thats a glass of water with some white stuff in it to make it look like milk but it's still water" then you say "dude look heres the result of the liquid's analysis i made and as you can see it has all the components of milk so it's milk" and the other guy replies "that still isn't milk, thats water with some components that adds a milk flavor to it"

i guess that thread is a fine example of someone not wanting to see something thats right in front of him... ignorance is bliss...
E8400 @ 3.2GHz - 8800 GT @ stock - 4GB DDR2 800 [actual: 3.5GB with PAE] - WinXP PRO 32bit SP3
[Image: 133779.png]
That made no sense at all.

I asked the question, do they change the native rendering resolution OR is it JUST upscaling the resulting image up to the desired resolution.

Him saying they upscale the textures to change the native rendering resolution IS OBVIOUS AS THATS THE ONLY WAY IT COULD BE DONE (what are they going to do? Leave them at the normal resolution so it doesnt even occupy the entire surface of the polygon?), but they are still changing the native rendering resolution which means option 1.

It's not a hard concept to grasp milk boy.