Is frame skipping stress CPU?
I just want to running pcsx2 with lowest temperature as possible, any suggestion?
Dell Studio 1555: P8700 ([email protected]), HD4570, 4G RAM
PC: E6500, 8800GT, 4G RAM

Sponsored links

Frameskip (maybe) uses your CPU to skip rendering of frame done by graphics card. So graphics are faster. To run pcsx2 at lowest temperature, change the round mode to nearest and clamp mode to none. This will reduce cpu load and hence should lower temperature

Also to run at lower temp. you should run a low CPU/GPU demanding game Tongue2 or buy a better cooler Tongue2
[Image: recodersignature2.png]
Frameskip doesn't really help much to lower the load.
I recommend you enable the recommended ( Wink ) speedhacks and keep the frame limiter enabled while playing.
PCSX2 is coded to conserve cpu cycles that it can't effectively use.
(We're using sleep waits instead of idle spins and a good thread management.)
so frameskip does lower cpu load but not much to consider, right?
other scenario is playing lighter/2D games these will not to rise temps. that much.
e.g. MvC2,CapSnk2
Main PC1:i5-4670,HD7770(Active!)
Main PC2:i5-11600K,GTX1660Ti(Active!)
PCSX2 Discord server IGN:smartstrike
PCSX2 version uses:Custom compiled buildĀ 1.7.0 64-bit(to be update regularly)
smartstk's YouTube Channel
Frameskip is usualy very "choppy", not very enjoyable and can even get very glitchy in many games and no it will not help much on cpu load. Using speedhacks and when it helps SuperVU(in games it works it potentially has a lower cpu load, sometimes very noticeably like in Atelier Iris world map for example) should be your choice. Sometimes speedhack like one of the sliders set too high can even slow the game below max speed giving false fps reading, but if you don't mind as long as using sliders doesn't generate freezes/crashes they can decrease cpu load alot. Also if you care about cpu load/temps soo much don't use MTVU speedhack through, as it often can be huge boost of speed it's also additional core in actual use making it noticeably bigger load.

Looking from the different point of view on the problem through I would suggest a few other things:
-undervolting(can give quite a bit at times and could be usually done by software from windows itself - doesn't affect speed at all),
-slight underclock(could be temporary with software and with additional even bigger voltage decrease) when you don't need full power to play the game,
-better air circulation in desktop or some additional external cooling pad or even a simple fan pointed at it if it's laptop,
-and ofc change of cooling system and thermal pasta between it and cpu,
-also what seems to be not related, playing at native res as decreasing a load on GPU can generally lower temps of whole system easily couse it's usually even bigger heater than cpu. If it's still heating too much it could also be temporarily downclocked, through I wouldn't recommend changing voltage of GPU as this is a bit risky and not always easy.

I use pretty much just 3 of those suggestions and most of the time and I play games on pcsx2 in full speed usually at range of 30-38C with my cpu fan is spinning in lowest speed. Through with more demanding games when I need to use full power of my cpu to play it can get to 45C, but I don't have too many of such games. And probably laptops are a bit different league, never really undervolted/clocked laptop as of yet as I have only non-gaming ones for work/movies at most and windows power menagement is enough for me there.
thank u miseru, alot of information, i knew about smartphone undervolting why do i not think undervolt cpu for PC. Try doing it right now Laugh
CPU and GPU are designed to handle stressful conditions. You are worrying for nothing. If you still have a P4, then it's best to let it die any way...
No just a laptop with P8700
Remember to test your configuration thoroughly when undervolting.
If the voltage is too low for 100% stable operation, you could get a weeks worth
of normal usage, then a weird crash on the next day.
You'd never assume the undervolting then, since it worked fine for a while.

(That's why I like to recommend to add a couple steps to the lowest stable voltage for safety.)