Is it normal to play games at 30 fps with a decent PC(i3 6100+GTX750Ti)?
(04-18-2017, 09:33 PM)Aggressor22 Wrote: Yes, that means if your using an Nvidia card, its more accurate to use but not faster then Direct3D11. If it was both faster and more accurate that would be nice Tongue

Generally speaking OpenGL is as fast as D3D. Both API are very close (if the driver isn't dull). OpenGL4.5 is more recent so you have a couple of extension to reduce the load on the CPU.

Now lets talk about the PCSX2 case. The D3D renderer skips half of the draw call (and potentially more in game such as sly). So you miss all depth of field effects, some light effects, but yeah it is fast. Quite easy as you end  up with PS1.5 game ;P

Still, I manage to keep a rather low CPU overhead with OpenGL. If you disable depth emulation and accurate blending, I'm pretty sure that GL is faster on the CPU side. However, I added some code on the shader to increase the accuracy of rounding. It is quite costly on the GPU side. So higher upscaling will be faster on D3D (+the fact that depth emulation requires costly conversion of depth buffer on the GPU)

Quote:Just to note, a i3 6100 is a dual core with 4 threads (2 per core).
The thing is that EE + GS take nearly a full core each. And you need to squeeze MTVU + GPU driver thread + background application. So I think a real 4 cores will be better.

Sponsored links

Ah okej that was a nice explanation, didnt see any difference between D3D and my real PS2 but didnt play past 5 min of gameplay, would for sure spot the difference if studied upon. OpenGL in Sly 3 on my i5 3550 seems stuttery/not as smooth as ps2, assume the cpu isnt up to it Smile
Only playing native for all games, trying to get as near as possible as the PS2, testing then side-by side something i like to do Tongue

Any difference between GL software versus D3D soft?
It depends on game. And sometimes some post-processing effect doesn't have any impact. Otherwise they often use to correct the brightness and various fog effect.

Quote: Any difference between GL software versus D3D soft?
One effect isn't emulated correctly on D3D. Otherwise, you might miss some external shaders on OGL. Note OGL does support external shaders but shader need to be written in GL language (and correctly). CPU wise potentially GL is a bit lighter but I'm not sure it has any impact (however Linux is faster Tongue2).
Ok, just wondering, since you are a coder, how close is lets say OpenGL software/hardware to the real thing on the PS2? How much du we miss against real ps2? I personally dont see much if any differences with most games software vs real PS2, other then speed, but thats my CPU or just the game.
HW renderer => very far away Smile
SW renderer => 1.5 version is quite close of the PS2. Here a list of the recent fixes https://github.com/PCSX2/pcsx2/issues/1562 (Note memory wrapping isn't yet enabled in SW renderer, I guess I know what I will do tonight Wink ).
(04-19-2017, 07:45 PM)gregory Wrote: (Note memory wrapping isn't yet enabled in SW renderer, I guess I know what I will do tonight Wink ).
Actually, enabling the hardware hack will also enable it for the Software renderer. Tongue2

I recently encountered some more issues that affect SW mode which look like GSdx issues.

SW might be the closest thing to PS2, but the real hardware still looks much better.
(04-19-2017, 07:50 PM)FlatOut Wrote: Actually, enabling the hardware hack will also enable it for the Software renderer. Tongue2

I recently encountered some more issues that affect SW mode which look like GSdx issues.

SW might be the closest thing to PS2, but the real hardware still looks much better.

You say much better for the PS2, and thats software. As gregory wrote that SW is so much better then HW mode, isnt it better to focus only or most on that renderer?
I personally dont see any if much difference between real ps2 and SW in latest PCSX2.
(04-19-2017, 07:57 PM)Aggressor22 Wrote: I personally dont see any if much difference between real ps2 and SW in latest PCSX2.
In terms of effects renderered, there isn't much difference. But the image quality on PS2 is much better.

Hardware renderer allows for upscaling, which is something the PS2 doesn't do, so I'd rather just focus on that. Tongue2
Image quality, with that you mean colors, AA, or in what way is it better? I litterly had half life running side by side, it was impossible to see any difference when PCSX2 was in software. In hardware lighting was different (if not running in Full blending mode).

Il ask you coders, what you prefer to play, PS2 or PCSX2? Tongue
Quote: Il ask you coders, what you prefer to play, PS2 or PCSX2?
3rd answer, hacking PCSX2 code source Smile

Quote: I recently encountered some more issues that affect SW mode which look like GSdx issues.
Sure. But in 2-3 years we fix plenty of bugs. Most bug impacts only few games, so it means there are corner cases rather. But there are stuff that are wrongly emulated.