Poll: os for laptop
linux distro + compiz
vista + aero
[Show Results]

Note: This is a public poll, other users will be able to see what you voted for.
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Is linux distro will ever be laptop optimized?
I use my laptop for every day tasks and i've tried the suse linux enterprise desktop 11, and im not happy with the battery life, i can get >2 hours on vista aero while <2 hours on suse with compiz enabled.

is that mean, laptop users cant feel the eye candy of linuxes?
and i think the linux's tweak for laptop is not as much as vista gives.
If you download the PS2 bios illegally, you are breaking the law. Courts around the world have ruled that businesses and individuals can be prosecuted for illegal downloading.
[Image: makemydaynow.jpg]

Sponsored links

Simply put, compiz places less demand on the CPU than standard xorg but places more demand on the GPU. The GPU will kill a laptop much faster than any CPU running so my answer would be to disabled Compiz. However you might have better luck running Beryl with Emerald enabled than compiz fusion.
GPU's suck up a huge amount of power. Vista hits the CPU harder, but compiz hits the GPU enough that you end up using more power.

You really have to define your criteria for 'laptop optimized' is before you can piece together a custom build.

If you want a distro meant for maximium battery, I'd suggest Arch or Gentoo stripped down to the bare minimum. A very lightweight window manager (Blackbox or similar) and underclock the processor as low as it can go.

If you want pretty colors and whatnot, anything that doesn't touch the GPU should be good. I'm not able to think of an example right now, but I'm sure they are out there.
"This thread should be closed immediately, it causes parallel imagination and multiprocess hallucination" --ardhi
GPU demanding is also processor demanding, thats suck.

maybe is should with windows, for this time,,,
If you download the PS2 bios illegally, you are breaking the law. Courts around the world have ruled that businesses and individuals can be prosecuted for illegal downloading.
[Image: makemydaynow.jpg]