Is my computer just crappy, or...? (Help with Catz?)
Greetings. I hope this would be an appropriate place where to ask this, because I'm not sure. Unsure

So, I have this one game, Catz, the PAL version. I was browsing around the PCSX2 compatibility list and it says that Catz 2 should be playable.
[Image: Catz2comp.png]
But... Mine is PAL version. Should it still be compatible?

And I'm pretty n00bish when it comes to the configuration of the emulator. So... The game doesn't work that well.
The intro movie plays somewhat fine. The picture looks odd at times and the music is a bit too slow.
This is kinda what it should look like:
[Image: ScreenShot1805.png]
But the cats look more like this:
[Image: ScreenShot1806.png]
The intro shows a few places, and they look nearly like as they should.
[Image: ScreenShot1810.png]

After the intro, I get to the menu, which doesn't work as it should.
[Image: ScreenShot1849.png]
[Image: ScreenShot1850.png]

And when I start a new game, I should choose a cat. The screen is like this:
[Image: ScreenShot1851.png]
And it shouldn't be like that, obviously. The text doesn't work, as you can see. It's not too big problem for me, though (as I know what I should do and such).

Being a person that isn't too good with computers... Well, I'm not too sure of my system specs. I just know that my computer is Acer Aspire 5520. (By the way, is there any way how I could check the system specs?) I guess my computer isn't really good for playing Playstation 2 games, but... *shrug*

Most likely you'll need more information, am I right? Gee, I sure am a dumbass when it comes to stuff like this. =P Well... If you need anything, I guess you could ask.

Oh, and I'm sorry if you couldn't understand what I just wrote, my english isn't too good, so...
Help a n00bie? =P

Edit: Ooh, sorry, those images are somewhat big... Sorry about that! ^^;
Sam: Does might make right?
Maimtron 9000: It might.
Max: He's right.

Sponsored links

It sounds like you'll have to use native resolution in the game. Under the menu Config, select Graphics, and on the line where it says D3D internal resolution, check the box that says "Native"
www.twitch.tv/krazytrumpeter05
Want to stream your games? Let me know and I can help you get set up with Open Broadcaster Software.
(08-28-2009, 02:36 PM)KrazyTrumpeter05 Wrote: It sounds like you'll have to use native resolution in the game. Under the menu Config, select Graphics, and on the line where it says D3D internal resolution, check the box that says "Native"
Hmm... Now I've checked the "Native" box... However, now when I try to start up the game, the emulator crashes.
[Image: ScreenShot1805-1.png]
I even tried to update the DirectX...

Edit: I'll be gone for a while... I'll check back later. Wink
That's very strange. Checking "Native" is the ONLY thing you changed?

Sorry, can you translate that error message?

Oh wait, is that just the standard "This program has encountered an error and Windows is going to try to find a solution" message?

Also, your English is just fine. It's much better than many other native English speakers I encounter on the internet, in fact...

Edit just because this post didn't have quite enough edits...I wish I wasn't so scatterbrained sometimes.
www.twitch.tv/krazytrumpeter05
Want to stream your games? Let me know and I can help you get set up with Open Broadcaster Software.
The first error you have can be fixed by using different interlace modes.
You can toggle them by pressing F5 ingame. Try them all until you find one that works well.

The error where the bottom of the screen tears away is indeed fixable by using native resolution.
Any it's indeed very strange you get a crash from doing that..

The text problems might get fixed by using native resolution, but if that fails, your only choice left
is using a software renderer. Select Direct3D10 Software as renderer (or the dx9 version if you cannot use dx10).

Btw, aww, what a cute game Tongue2
(08-28-2009, 02:52 PM)KrazyTrumpeter05 Wrote: That's very strange. Checking "Native" is the ONLY thing you changed?

Sorry, can you translate that error message?

Oh wait, is that just the standard "This program has encountered an error and Windows is going to try to find a solution" message?

Also, your English is just fine. It's much better than many other native English speakers I encounter on the internet, in fact...

Edit just because this post didn't have quite enough edits...I wish I wasn't so scatterbrained sometimes.
Yep, it's the only thing I changed. =O

Yep, it's that kind of error...

Ohh, well, that's good to hear. Glad to see that I speak English that can be understood. ^^

(08-28-2009, 04:08 PM)rama Wrote: The first error you have can be fixed by using different interlace modes.
You can toggle them by pressing F5 ingame. Try them all until you find one that works well.

The error where the bottom of the screen tears away is indeed fixable by using native resolution.
Any it's indeed very strange you get a crash from doing that..

The text problems might get fixed by using native resolution, but if that fails, your only choice left
is using a software renderer. Select Direct3D10 Software as renderer (or the dx9 version if you cannot use dx10).

Btw, aww, what a cute game Tongue2
Different interlace modes? Okay, I'll try that. =)

Hmm... Well, it certainly is odd that it does a crash. Maybe I should try tinkering around with the settings. ^^

Okay, I'll try that, too. I sure hope that the text could be fixed. As I mentioned, it's not too big problem, but I'd still prefer to be able to read the text. ^^;

And yes, I also think it's a cute game. xP As I've been a fan of Petz for a long while (even though I haven't liked many of these new Petz games...), I just had to get this one, too. =P

Edit: Okay, I tried a few of these things. Well...
The intro works just fine now (but the sound is a bit slow, but it doesn't matter that much).
[Image: ScreenShot1808.png]
[Image: ScreenShot1809.png]

The menu also works (but the Catz logo looks a bit odd, but it doesn't bother me).
[Image: ScreenShot1810-1.png]

And now the text works!
[Image: ScreenShot1811.png]
[Image: ScreenShot1814.png]
The screen was a bit bouncy at first, but I kept on pressing F5 and now it's okay. ^^

But when it comes to the playing part...
[Image: ScreenShot1820.png]
It sure looks okay, but it's veeeery slow. I wonder if it could be faster in any way... Could any hack, plug-in or such help? (Of course I do understand if there is nothing that could help with this. Wink)
You could try the speed hacks found in the config drop down menu, they will give you a speed boost but may effect how the game looks
Maybe with vucycle stealing is nice to try first.
Notebook ASUS A43TA|CPU AMD Llano APU A6-3400m Triple core (1 core disable) OC to 2.6+Ghz|GPU CF|HD 6520 400Mhz/667Mhz iGPU|HD6650M OC 780Mhz/985Mhz dGPU|RAM 8GB DDR3 1333|Windows 7 Ultimate Sp.1 x64 bit.
>> Emulation speed differs for each game. There will be some you can run fast easily, but others will simply require more powerfull hardware <<.
(08-28-2009, 08:20 PM)Ge-Force Wrote: You could try the speed hacks found in the config drop down menu, they will give you a speed boost but may effect how the game looks
Hmm... Well, I'll try some speedhacks. Let's see if they'll work. =)

(08-28-2009, 08:23 PM)Register Wrote: Maybe with vucycle stealing is nice to try first.
Vucycle? I'll try that, too. ^^

Edit: Hmm... The gameplay is still pretty slow. I'll keep on trying to tinker with the settings, maybe something would work. ^^