Is my processor too slow?
Sup PCSX2, Quite the amazing emulator you've got here. To be honest, i sort of gave up on playing my old ps2 games once my PS2 died out...a sad story, but one i wont go into. Anyways. Is there like a parts list online that'll tell you how well pcsx2 will run on your system?

This is what i've got goin' on:

MSI Nvidia 9800GT video card

Intel Core 2 Quad Q8200 @ 2.33 GHz

3 GB of Ram

I was told that my processor just wasn't running fast enough for this emulator, so I ask you...do I overclock? At what speed do I overclock? What is the ideal speed for a processor to run PCSX2?

Sponsored links

Best thing to do is try it out. I am no expert but I think your cpu is bottleneck. My guess is you play some games ok, but others with slowdown.
so what would be a good speed to try? As it's currently 2.3 GHz...should i bump it up to 3.0 GHz? Would that kill my processor? lol. As it is quite evident, I am no expert on Overclocking myself.
The best speed for pcsx2 is the max you can get it to. Of course while still keeping the cpu intact, if possible Wink
Just try your game, and see if it runs fast enough. If it's not one of the popular 3d games, chances are it runs fine at 3Ghz.
I overclocked my CPU (Intel C2D E6750) from 2.66 to 3.20 and it's still going strong. If you're going to OC, make sure you have you fan on 100% at all times.
Well, If you OC, you have to be real careful. the 3 MOST important things to worry about is: 1-Heat. if the temps of the CPU get above 70c then you will kill your CPU overtime. 2-Voltage. To get a decent OC, you may have to increase the voltage that is fed to the CPU. This will ultimately decrease the life of your CPU. Also, the more voltage you feed your CPU, the more heat that builds up. 3- Memory clock rate. In order to OC your CPU, you will have to OC the FSB. (Front Side Bus-link between the CPU and the Mainboard Chipset.) When you OC the FSB, you also OC your Memory clock speed. Most decent memory sticks should be able to handle a mild OC, but some cannot.

Some things to also consider, is your mainboard. Most mainboards have mild OC options in the bios. They can also handle the OC. Some are not designed to OC, and don't even give you the option to (*cough OEM manufacturer boards cough*). Depending on your OC and your board, you could damage your board. (some cheap boards have also managed to ignite.) If you plan on OC'ing, I would HIGHLY recommend an aftermarket cooler. The stock cooler that came with the CPU is only designed to keep the CPU cool at stock settings. (it barely does anyway.) Might I recommend the Zalman 9000+ series coolers. Do not skimp out on the thermal paste either. Artic Silver 5 is pretty expensive, but shaves off 5-10c on average. A small pea-sized amount is good to do the job.

Be sure that your Power Supply can feed enough power efficiently to your rig also. When you OC, you increase the power consumption for the pc as well. If your PSU isn't feeding enough juice, you can expect blue screens, random restarts and even complete shut off's. Not all CPU's are decent OC'ers also. The best practice to OC is to do 100Mhz jumps. Try OC'ing to 2.6Ghz and testing it's stability with OCCT 3.1 and checking temps with Real Temp 3.4.0 . If you can keep temps under 70c under 100% load then it's okay. Run a standard test for 1hr. If it has no errors try 2.7Ghz. Keep doing that till you reach your desired clock speed. Keep attention to temps.

If you have errors, you can try to increase the CPU voltage (Vcore). Do NOT set it higher than 1.4v. Any more than that is too much voltage and will damage your CPU. If you have errors even after increasing the Vcore, then revert to your last stable OC. Once you found your stable OC, run another OCCT test but this time, keep it on for at least 6+ hours. (I personally would keep it for 24 hours). If there are no errors then, congrats! You now have a stable OC. With a good mainboard, PSU, and aftermarket cooler you can get a stable 3-3.2Ghz OC (In most cases). I am running an Intel board and I have a Core i5-750. It clocks stock at 2.66Ghz. my OC is now 3.2Ghz. I would set it higher but thank's to Turbo Boost, I don't need to. My system auto adjusts voltage, and clock speeds accordingly to the load. It goes as high as 3.8Ghz. 3-3.2Ghz should be good enough for most games in PCSX2. If you have any more questions, let us know.
Laptop: Apple MacBook Pro Retina 15' | Intel Core i7-4850HQ @ 2.3-3.5Ghz | Optimus Powered nVidia Geforce GT 750M (2GB GDDR5) + Intel Iris Pro Graphics | 16GB (2x8GB) DDR3 1600Mhz RAM | Intel HD Audio | Apple Magic Trackpad | Samsung 512GB PCI-E Based SSD |
For a few games I've read that anywhere from 3-4ghz is recommended. However a lot of games should run ok at ~2.5ghz, especially with an Intel CPU. I was able to run FFXII and other games at full speed on an AMD dual core at 2.6ghz before I upgraded.
i7 6700k @4.5GHz | Nvidia GTX 1070 8GB | 32GB Corsair DDR4 RAM | Windows 10 64-bit
ur question answered by khalan.so no problem to run emulator such in 40-50 fps in ur rig