Poll: Do you think this is the last generation of gaming??
Yes
No
[Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Is this the laaaaaaaast generation of gaming consoles!!!
Hi

Ive been thinking lately!!! (which is good)

Have you people heard about 2012 (not the movie...duh!) and whats gonna happen??!!

[Image: december-12-2012.jpg]

An idea of whats gonna happen (Still...only GOD knows)

Code:
Discovery Channel, Canada

As the world scrambles to prepare for hurricanes and earthquakes of
unprecedented strength, some scientists say the sun poses an equal threat,
with predictions calling for a 2012 sun storm of immense proportions.

If the idea of a solar storm sounds too much like the stuff of sci-fi, consider this:
a single large solar flare has a million times more energy than the largest
earthquake, according to Space.com.

Last month, experts convened in Colorado during Space Weather Week (April 25
-28) to discuss the issues surrounding the approaching 2012 event. If the storm
turns out to be at the same scale as the one in 1859, economic disaster would
ensue, with immediate costs around the $20 billion mark.

So...what i was thinking about is the gaming industry!!...( > < )

If the predictions are true....

We might not get any future generation of gaming consoles!!

Because this wil affect allll types of industries (Mostly communication related industries!)

What do you think??
My rig: Malibal P150HM - Core i7-2760QM upto 3.5GHz - 8GB DDR3 @1600MHz - ATI 6990M 2GB GDDR5 - 500GB@7200RPMNinja

Sponsored links

Tongue 
Attempting to predict a solar storm is an exercise in futility. We barely understand the workings of the sun's complex magnetic systems, if someone tries to tell you they predict a storm they are bullshitting you. People have been claiming to predict catastrophic events since the dawn of man, this is no different.

Planning for a massive storm is a good idea, because we know it could happen sometime in the future. But don't think it'll be the end of the world, it could range from causing pretty lights in the night sky (low-intensity storm) to making life miserable for anyone maintaining a large-scale network such as the power grid or satellites (high-intensity storm). Life will go on as usual.

My favorite part of the whole 2012 craziness is people blaming the alignment of the Sun, Earth and galactic center for all of this. That the alignment will occur around Dec 21, 2012 is a verifiable fact; but something the crazies don't like to mention is that this alignment has occurred every year since the Earth was formed Laugh
"This thread should be closed immediately, it causes parallel imagination and multiprocess hallucination" --ardhi
Actually, one thing we know for sure is that solar flare or coronal or solar storm has a roughly 11-year cycle, and perhaps 2012 is the year of the occurence. Also, the strom will only affect us only if it is aimed directly to the Earth. When it is not aimed to the Earth directly, the Earth's magnetosphere will deflected most of the particles ejected from the Sun. Anyway, either way if we stay on Earth , we will be fine.

The Sun, Earth and galactic center alignment rumour brought me quite a lot of amusement when I heard about it a few days ago.

The center of Milky way is a massive blackhole(s), and because of dust and gases, we are not able to see the center of Milky way under visible light(well, we can't see it without dust and gases anyway because when light goes in a blackhole, it can't come out). We do not even know the shape or curviture of a blackhole, nor do we know where is the absolute center of the Milky way. So speaking of alignment, I would say it occurs twice every year.
AMD Athlon II 245 @ 3.55ghz, 9600GT @730mhz 1115mhz, vista sp2 32bit
December 12 2012 The Day the Internet Will Fail...

and i'l go sue my ISP for not providing me my Internet Tongue2
Check my profile for System Specs (Updated).

My Youtube Channel: Dedicated to Anime, Gaming and Emulation.
Don't be silly. Of course it's not the last generation of gaming consoles. A new console should come out sometime during 2012, shortly before the world ends.

THAT will be the last generation. Tongue2
Jake Stine (Air) - Programmer - PCSX2 Dev Team
Every generation thinks it's the final generation... Hell, this isn't even the first time in our generation where everyone was seeing the doom of civilization... Or has everyone already forgotten Y2K? You know... the year Jesus was supposed to show up and tell everyone about the end times as meteors came crashing into the planet and the computer systems in control of the nuclear weapons of the world went haywire launching missiles in every which direction causing a nuclear winter that destroyed all crops so that everyone starved to death...

I'm sure I missed a few other "OMG THIS IS GUNNA HAPPEN" moments from then... But it's basically just a repeat only now instead of using christian beliefs as the source of the end times, we're using the Mayan calendar (which, by the way, had no mention of the end of the world. The calendar simply ends... almost as if they hadn't finished filling out their calander hundreds of years after the end of their culture Tongue2) and instead of computers or aliens destroying the world, now we've got solar storms and solar flares... both of which are fairly common phenomena in earth's history of which neither has ended up destroying anything.

As I mentioned at the top... this "end of the world" schmalarky isn't new. Go do a google search on past end of the world predictions and you'll see hundreds, mayhaps thousands. It's part of the human psyche at large that somehow they will be the ones to see the end of the world. It's kind of an ego thing... The current generation is the important generation that will see end. They must be! Think back to your childhood or read a history book... nothing in it is worse than what we have today right? The amount of debauchery and violence is unmatched in history... right?

Yeah... no... I think the romans have us beat pretty handily in the debauchery... and our grand and great grand parents have us beaten in the violence department.

Okay... massively unimportant rant aside and aiming directly at the article... We've had much more damaging hurricanes and earthquakes in the past. Look at hurricane Katrina for example. What caused the most damage with Katrina? Was it the storm itself? Or was it the poorly made and maintained levees that burst AFTER the storm had past? The majority of people literally went to bed that night once they storm was past thinking nothing really bad had occured from that storm, only to wakeup the next day to find new orleans destroyed by said levees breaking.

As for consoles... We're seeing more and more the boundaries of PC and game consoles blending together... Almost in the same ways we did when game consoles were first starting out. Take a look at how many early game consoles came out with optional keyboards or systems that were planned by didn't survive the market that were basically computers that could play console-esque games. Instead of seeing consoles disappear, we're going to be seeing general computers that happen to play video games as well me thinks. Look at the PS3 for example... The crossbar system is basically a very user friendly computer OS. Complete with fully functional web browser, hard drive management, easy access to playing videos and MP3's, etc. Hell, if you don't like the crossbar OS, you can very easily install ubuntu or a few other linux distros. Especially as more and more online stuff becomes integrated and necessary for these systems, we're going to see that line blur more and more till basically what you have is a Sony PC with exclusive games, a nintendo PC with exclusive games, and a microsoft PC with exclusiv.... oh wait...
[Image: 2748844.png]
Let me see if i get this straight. The world is gonna end and your worried about not being able to play video games... Seems fair. Tongue
[Image: fs.png]
Q9550 @ 3,33GHz Ninja
HD 3850
Well it would suck if you bought a game and wouldn't be able to play before the world ends, but worry not! I'm sure there'll be a xbox 540 or xbox 1080 (maybe a xbox720 so it's like xbox 360 v2? =o ) before 2012 :P
Core i5 3570k -- Geforce GTX 670  --  Windows 7 x64
(12-21-2009, 11:19 AM)pedrosilvaa Wrote: Let me see if i get this straight. The world is gonna end and your worried about not being able to play video games... Seems fair. Tongue

LOLz....that what i was thinking about too!!!

Anyway...i dont believe the world will end

But the life style with change dramatically

As been said in many sources the sun storm will affect EVERYTHING!!

So its better to get ready from now....of course assuming that was true in the first place!!!

But if you think about it, scientist can predict the Weather....By studying and calculations, its not SUPERNATURAL...I believe same goes here!!

Anyway.....for the gaming part....My only wish is to be able to play the upcoming Final Fantasy 13!!! lol it might be the last...

After that....I dont care what happens!!

WHat do you think about Pcsx2 development??

Rolleyes
My rig: Malibal P150HM - Core i7-2760QM upto 3.5GHz - 8GB DDR3 @1600MHz - ATI 6990M 2GB GDDR5 - 500GB@7200RPMNinja
(12-21-2009, 12:43 PM)ahmed_p800 Wrote: But if you think about it, scientist can predict the Weather....By studying and calculations, its not SUPERNATURAL...I believe same goes here!!

... where do you live exactly? Here in the Northeast corner of the USA, the weather predictions past 2 days are somewhere between somewhat wrong and mostly wrong some 75% of the time. Weather predictions past 1 day are wrong something like 40% of the time.

(this doesn't apply everywhere -- many parts of the world have much more predictable weather patterns, but it's nothing to do with advanced science, and more to do with the fact that the weather's just that conveniently consistent year in and year out. So basic statistical extrapolation from past years coupled with basic weather pattern observations yields highly accurate results).

Quote:Anyway.....for the gaming part....My only wish is to be able to play the upcoming Final Fantasy 13!!! lol it might be the last...

After that....I dont care what happens!!

Wow. That game is that special eh? Dunno about the weather, but I do sense some future disappointment coming on.
Jake Stine (Air) - Programmer - PCSX2 Dev Team