Issues with sandy bridge laptop
So I've been having some issues running PCSX2 on my Toshiba p750 02l. CPU is i7-2630QM running at 2.0ghz (not OC'd), and nVidia GeForce 540M 1gb (again not OC'd).

At first I was getting these vertical black lines, but I found out that it was just a scaling issue, so that's all sorted.

My main problem is that the games I've tried (MGS3, Tekken 5) both run at about half speed. I'm wondering if it's a power issue or settings issue. I'm running default everything, except I've changed my renderer to DX10(Hardware) and of course the scaling to Native.

Is Final Fantasy 12 a less cpu/gpu intensive game to run for troubleshooting purposes, or should I try another game (my ps2 collection is near limitless, so I can try with just about any game)?

Cheers for the help guys Smile

Sponsored links

set to native to remove vertical line
before some selected games HATES high-resolution...stay native.
e.g. tekken tag,MvC2,Tekken 4,5

(10-13-2011, 08:50 AM)Deleriant Wrote: Is Final Fantasy 12 a less cpu/gpu intensive game to run for troubleshooting purposes, or should I try another game (my ps2 collection is near limitless, so I can try with just about any game)?

i7-2630QM still not enough for ff12 and your current TB is at 2.6(4core) 2.8(2core) GHz best to use recommended speed hacks,and clamp mode to none and set power plan to "High performance"
otherwise find a 3.2ghz laptop pcsx2 is required 3.2 as a recommended requirement.
e.g:
Recommended-----------Maximum
2760QM------------------2960XM

and Warning:
don't run in batteries!!
Main PC1:i5-4670,HD7770(Active!)
Main PC2:i5-11600K,GTX1660Ti(Active!)
PCSX2 Discord server IGN:smartstrike
PCSX2 version uses:Custom compiled build 1.7.0 64-bit(to be update regularly)
smartstk's YouTube Channel
Click on the battery icon in the tray, and go to "More Power Options".
Change it to "High Performance".

Did that help?
Have you tried any Speedhacks?
Did you change the GS plugin to the SSE41 that your CPU supports?
Laptops weren't better(than Desktop's) for PCSX2. 2.0Ghz is a bit low. I get full speed(58-62) in i7 860 2.8Ghz.

Try the frameskip . set it to 1, 2.

tallbender Wrote:Excl don't run in batteries!!

If he had run in batteries his batteries would have been exhausted very easily. Tongue2
[Image: recodersignature2.png]
I'm having trouble finding a download link for the gsdx sse4.1 plugin. Can anyone help with this?

I have set the frameskip to draw one frame and skip two. Looks terrible, but it's running a little faster Smile Haven't used any speedhax just yet. It seems like I'm better off trying to overclock my CPU/GPU before giving those a go. That's something else I'll be looking into while I wait for a link for the right gsdx plugin.

Also, setting the high performance helped a lot. Can't believe I didn't think of that myself.

Is there any way to tell if this is just an issue of cpu/gpu performance?
The SSE4.1 version of GSdx is included in the 0.9.8 release pack. Instead of frame skip start by enabling all speed hacks which have [Recommended] besides them. FFXII works fine with all these at least
[Image: newsig.jpg]
Like Bositman said, if you got your pcsx2 from external site and doesn't have SSE4 GSdx version, get the official release.

About your other question with performance power settings already on high meaning you use max of your hardware, generally you can simply look on the top of window where game renders aka GS window, it has EE/GS% if any of it reaches near 100% you are most likely CPU limited, if none of it happens, most likely you are GPU limited.
Speedhacks can help when you're cpu limited, recommended ones are pretty safe to use most of the time, through especially sliders - can generate false fps while the game can actually run slower and they can also lead to freezes/crashes, it's good to save the game normally often(using memory cards) in games which you use them as savestates most of the time will not let you recover from such freeze/crash caused by speedhack. In some of the games using - through older and less compatible - superVU instead of microVU can give quite a bit fps speedup/cpu usage decrease like for example world map in Atelier Iris.

If your limitation is GPU you can only decrease internal res in GSdx settings and turn on/off "allow 8 bit textures" as it works differently on different games/systems(can be a huge slowdown or speedup at times, soo check both when needed). Eventually use frameskip, but like you noticed that can look horrible and have little to do with enjoyable gameplay most of the time.

You have more detailed info about pretty much every option, nicely categorized in the official guide.

PS2 games differ widely with their requirements and compatibility under PCSX2 soo you can't really compare MGS3/Tekken 5 to FFXIITongue. Each game usually requires a bit of config to make it as near perfect as it can go, but you can use PCSX2 Profile menager or PS2Lunch - a simple launcher for PCSX2 to help you keep different settings for your game collection without reconfiguring it each time.
(10-13-2011, 09:16 AM)Rezard Wrote: Click on the battery icon in the tray, and go to "More Power Options".
Change it to "High Performance".

Did that help?
Have you tried any Speedhacks?
Did you change the GS plugin to the SSE41 that your CPU supports?

(10-13-2011, 05:39 PM)miseru99 Wrote: Like Bositman said, if you got your pcsx2 from external site and doesn't have SSE4 GSdx version, get the official release.

About your other question with performance power settings already on high meaning you use max of your hardware, generally you can simply look on the top of window where game renders aka GS window, it has EE/GS% if any of it reaches near 100% you are most likely CPU limited, if none of it happens, most likely you are GPU limited.
Speedhacks can help when you're cpu limited, recommended ones are pretty safe to use most of the time, through especially sliders - can generate false fps while the game can actually run slower and they can also lead to freezes/crashes, it's good to save the game normally often(using memory cards) in games which you use them as savestates most of the time will not let you recover from such freeze/crash caused by speedhack. In some of the games using - through older and less compatible - superVU instead of microVU can give quite a bit fps speedup/cpu usage decrease like for example world map in Atelier Iris.

If your limitation is GPU you can only decrease internal res in GSdx settings and turn on/off "allow 8 bit textures" as it works differently on different games/systems(can be a huge slowdown or speedup at times, soo check both when needed). Eventually use frameskip, but like you noticed that can look horrible and have little to do with enjoyable gameplay most of the time.

You have more detailed info about pretty much every option, nicely categorized in the official guide.

PS2 games differ widely with their requirements and compatibility under PCSX2 soo you can't really compare MGS3/Tekken 5 to FFXIITongue. Each game usually requires a bit of config to make it as near perfect as it can go, but you can use PCSX2 Profile menager or PS2Lunch - a simple launcher for PCSX2 to help you keep different settings for your game collection without reconfiguring it each time.

Ok, so I've looked into overclocking, and it looks as though it's definitely not an option, as the CPU I'm running has an integrated graphics processor.

I've also tried some of the speedhax, and I can get the game to run at around 85-90% speed, but it looks absolutely hideous.

It really seems as though my Toshiba p750 02l (i7 2630qm 2ghz, nVidia GT 540M, 6gb ram) is simply not powerful enough. If anyone thinks I'm wrong, though, feel free to correct me Smile Oh, and thanks for the help, everyone.
(10-13-2011, 09:11 AM)tallbender Wrote: i7-2630QM still not enough for ff12

so and my i5-2410m is?
I can play it almost entirely at fullspeed without speedhacks (only the recommended ones that doesn't break stuff and MTVU)

Main Rig: i7-3770k @4.5ghz | 16GB DDR3 | Nvidia GTX 980 TI | Win 10 X64
Laptop: MSI GT62VR | i7-6700HQ | 16GB DDR4 | Nvidia GTX 1060 | Win 10 X64

Is your i7-2630QM Turbo Boosting at 2.6Ghz, or 2.8Ghz?
Either way, that should be rather good on it's own. A few hacks should seal the deal.

Could you post your PCSX2 settings?
Plugins, video settings, emulation settings, and anything else you've changed.