It won't let me uninstall PCSX2
So I want to uninstall PCSX2, I've deleted what I can of the emulator, but it won't let me delete the "Program" and it say's 'Windows cannot access the specified device, path, or file. You may not have the appropriate permissions to access the item.' Now, this makes me worried to think that this is a virus, and it's doing the same thing with a Playstation 1 Emulator.

Sponsored links

(06-23-2017, 10:33 PM)MrPooGu Wrote: So I want to uninstall PCSX2, I've deleted what I can of the emulator, but it won't let me delete the "Program" and it say's 'Windows cannot access the specified device, path, or file. You may not have the appropriate permissions to access the item.' Now, this makes me worried to think that this is a virus, and it's doing the same thing with a Playstation 1 Emulator.

Can you post a screenshot?
If you are encountering the problem after deleting things, that makes sense.. I'm assuming you're having issues removing it from the windows control panel application (programs and features)?

I'm not where I can do this search right now, but you can remove it from the registry manually and it will disappear from that list. It's possible you're not seeing a UAC prompt asking you to elevate permissions.. Only admins on a default install are allowed to uninstall from that program. If you want a full manual removal.. delete everything, download the portable version and then regsrv32 /u and the name of every dll you see in there (yes, you can break things doing this.. thats why they make uninstall scripts), then rip it out of the registry which will remove it from the program list. Then check in .. your user profile.. possibly under %appdata% for information there delete that.

I can attest, as hundreds of other users on this forum can, that if you got it from the pcsx2.net website's download section.. its virus free..
amd tr 1950x                                                 amd ryzen 5 2500u
asrock x399 taichi                                         amd vega 8 
XFX Radeon rx570                                       16gb ddr 4 2400 ram
32gb gskill ddr4-3200                                   1tb nvme ssd
Debian Bullseye                                           480gb sata ssd
Custom loop water cooled                           HP envy x360
nzxt 340 case
(06-24-2017, 12:33 AM)scythefwd Wrote: I can attest, as hundreds of other users on this forum can, that if you got it from the pcsx2.net website's download section.. its virus free..
Maybe in that brief period of time right before the OP downloaded the emulator till right after someone hacked the site and replaced the emulator with a working emulator that also contains a virus... Unsure  So I can not attest to anything.

That being said what scythefwd said is the most likely scenario, but if you are really worried about a virus then...
1.  Run a reputable antivirus program.  There are many good ones out there and if you want to be extra safe make a live cd (or flashdrive) and scan from a clean OS.  This is what most low level tech support (*cough geek squad *cough) will do if they actually do any work for all the money they charge.

or

2.  Nuke from orbit...   Basically get a flashdrive or other non internal storage location and backup any files you can not easily replace.  Basically not your steam library since you can just redownload and reinstall any game easily, but the save games would be good to backup if not included in steam cloud (for example).  If you can reinstall from a local media (cd dvd ect) or from online (chrome, emulators, programs, things from an online store) then don't bother.  if it is files you made and do not have a backup anywhere.... then you should have been making backups but that is besides the point and it is something to put on the external storage.  Then simply reformat your computer and reinstall the OS of your choice (or the one you have a license for more likely) and before anything gets copied off the external storage on to the new clean OS you scan the external storage drive with a good reputable antivirus program (or more then one).