Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Its not true right? 5870 ati card
I just heard some random person say from the notebook check forums something very discouraging. I'm waiting for a response to confirm it but I heard this:

"Try to play an x264 encoded L5, 16 ref video with ATi's hardware support. It won't. ATi said _|_ to the x264 community. Sorry.

For encoding, you're out of luck, really should buy an Nvidia notebook. For encoding, the i7 handles it well. Run it software with CoreAVC 2.0, you'll be watching 1080p videos while only using between 7-12% CPU only."

I'm not too familiar with encoding, but when he said I couldn't play x264 videos, I jumped up and busted the top of my head on my bump bed by accident. Cause I know I watch a lot of anime with x264 or h264 video codacs.

edit: Can I really not play it? and I'm not familiar with the L5, 16 ref video thing. what is that?
Windows 7 - Asus G73jh-a1 - 17-720qm @ 1.6 GHz (2.8 GHz)(2.4ghz)(1.73ghz) - ATI Mobility Radeon HD 5870 @ 700/1000 (sometimes oc to 800/1100) - 8 gig ram

Sponsored links

I think it just means there is no Hardware decoding for L5 encoded x264 vids basically what it means is that your cpu will handle the decoding instead of the gpu just install cccp and you'r good to go (for decoding\watching the vids) (if you want to encode you can use the x264 codec it just is very slow since it has no hardware support of GFX adapters just uses the cpu).

Otherwise i am going to link you to this very interesting Wiki on h264

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/H.264/MPEG-4_AVC

Lower on the page you can find the different levels and what they all stand for basically anything above 4.1 (1920x1080@30fps) is currently overkill and i d'ont think there is any Fansubbing group out there who uses anything above that Level.
Check my profile for System Specs (Updated).

My Youtube Channel: Dedicated to Anime, Gaming and Emulation.
(02-25-2010, 07:03 PM)Xellon Wrote: I just heard some random person say from the notebook check forums something very discouraging. I'm waiting for a response to confirm it but I heard this:

"Try to play an x264 encoded L5, 16 ref video with ATi's hardware support. It won't. ATi said _|_ to the x264 community. Sorry.

For encoding, you're out of luck, really should buy an Nvidia notebook. For encoding, the i7 handles it well. Run it software with CoreAVC 2.0, you'll be watching 1080p videos while only using between 7-12% CPU only."

I'm not too familiar with encoding, but when he said I couldn't play x264 videos, I jumped up and busted the top of my head on my bump bed by accident. Cause I know I watch a lot of anime with x264 or h264 video codacs.

edit: Can I really not play it? and I'm not familiar with the L5, 16 ref video thing. what is that?

i had a ati HD 5xxx series they suck to be honest
well the card don't but the drivers does!
random crashes out no where so i gonna wait til propper drivers are here
it is good but not word it to buy atm
I have a 5770, haven't had any problems with it yet. *crossing fingers*
Laptop
Intel Core 2 Duo PM8600 @ 2.4 GHz
4 GB DDR3 1066 RAM
ATI Mobility Radeon HD 3670 512 MB

Desktop
AMD Phenom II x2 550 (unlocked to 4)@ 3.5ghz
4 GB DDR3 1600 RAM
Sapphire 5770 1GB