Jak 3 crash, plus one question
I'm experiencing crashes with Jak 3 that seem rather random. My area of tests is Spargus City. They can happen by jumping around, jumping on people, punching them, shooting them, breaking crates and other containers, or just by idling. The problem is that I haven't found a single instance where a crash can happen on demand. I can get one after mere minutes of gameplay or well over an hour.
But I have found at least one build that hasn't crashed after letting the game idle for over 18 hours and 12 hours in two sessions (both including some roaming in the city from time to time), v1.3.1-1401-g2b02a74.
Builds available before and after it, v1.3.1-1398-g4ef0572 and v1.3.1-1402-ge5f9923, do crash, eventually. Either I'm really lucky, or there's a change in the build that prevents Jak 3 from crashing. And no other build I've tested came anywhere close in runtime (all were below 2 hours).
Crashes don't leave any traces in logs, so there's no help in there.
I ran every build with almost default settings. Only changes I did were using OpenGL (with its defaults) and XAudio 2 (some 1.3.1 builds use Portaudio by default).

Onto the question.
Has progress on visuals on models of Jak and Daxter gone backwards on HW OGL? Daxter's fur and Jak's clothes look pretty good on v1.5.0-dev-1368-gfc32b74
In the next available build (v1.5.0-dev-1371-g3468639), Daxter turns completely black and Jak's clothes are corrupted and black in some parts. Furthermore, Jak's face turn black if the new mipmapping test is enabled. Final result can be seen below. This only happens to the world models. Cutscene ones are okay.
Is there a setting to adjust this, besides fixing the face by opting out from mipmapping?

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Intel i5-4670K @ 4,2 GHz
Gigabyte GA-Z97MX-Gaming 5
GTX 1080Ti
16 GB RAM

Sponsored links

The character appearance issues with OGL HW can be resolved by going to Configure Hacks and enabling the "Fast Texture Invalidation" hack.
Only things that are not fixed are Jak's fingers, ears, hair and face. Hair and fingers reappear if switching to SW and back. Mipmapping has to be disabled for ears and face. Daxter's nose turns black with Fast Texture Invalidation or mipmapping.

EDIT: All the above are caused by enabling either one it seems. So mipmapping makes Daxter's nose and Jak's ears, hair and face black. Fast Texture Invalidation fixes Jak's clothes, but introduces same problems.
Just by checking HW hacks checkbox, Daxter's nose and Jak's ears and face turn black on top of what's already black or corrupted. Fast Texture Invalidation fixes Daxter's fur and Jak's clothes (and hair and finger, if switched to SW and back once). So there's some HW hack that turns on simply by enabling the hacks. All this is with a clean install.

I know I make this sound more confusing than it has to be, so below are the four scenarios. No HW hacks checked -> checked -> Fast File Invalidation -> + SW switch back and forth.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Intel i5-4670K @ 4,2 GHz
GTX 1080Ti
16 GB RAM
v1.5.0-dev-1418-g574a807 added UserHacks_TextureInsideRt, which is on by default if userhacks are enabled - try adding UserHacks_TextureInsideRt=0 to GSdx.ini

Their eyes will probably be messed up again, however...
Windows 10 Home 64-bit | Intel Core i7 4770 @ 3.4GHz | MSI GeForce GTX 1070 Ti Titanium 8GB
Corsair Vengeance 16GB DDR3, 1866MHz @ 9-10-9-27 | 2TB Samsung 860 Evo | Samsung S23A700D
Yup, that was it.
Intel i5-4670K @ 4,2 GHz
GTX 1080Ti
16 GB RAM
Oh sorry, I didn't intent to put it on by default. I updated the git.

I need to add some proper texture invalidation for the hack. And likely fix some overflows.