Just bought a new computer and need help...
Please note that using an OEM computer (IE Dell, HP, etc) means that if you change the mobo the windows you have installed on your hard drive will NOT work and neither will the restore discs for that system. All of these recommendations are true and accurate, but what has to be invested may be enough to warrant looking at an entirely new system anyways... If you don't have a lot of money, you may be better off "making do" till you need to upgrade for something besides just pcsx2.
[Image: 2748844.png]

Sponsored links

You don't just lose your copy of Windows, it can be re-installed using the product key...
Rezard: No, no it can't. OEM copies are not the same as copies you buy at the store (IE retail). They are hardware locked (there is special code as part of the motherboard for these vendors) and are non-transferrable. This is so Dell/HP/Etc can get huge volume discounts. None of these systems come with seperate windows install discs anymore, windows is merely part of the backup discs.

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windo...55cf7b9231
(05-10-2011, 09:05 PM)Koji Wrote: Please note that using an OEM computer (IE Dell, HP, etc) means that if you change the mobo the windows you have installed on your hard drive will NOT work and neither will the restore discs for that system. All of these recommendations are true and accurate, but what has to be invested may be enough to warrant looking at an entirely new system anyways... If you don't have a lot of money, you may be better off "making do" till you need to upgrade for something besides just pcsx2.

Exactly, not to mention you probably void your warranty if you replace either motherboard or CPU. Either RMA the whole computer and build from scratch or just make do with what you have and just add a decent GPU to the build. Not sure what power supply it comes with so you may be limited to something like a Radeon HD 5670 or 6670 (can be powered by PCIe slot).
Thanks, Koji. You kinda just proved my point with the last posts (on page 2) of that thread you linked.

I know it can be done. I've been there before (was a "generic OEM", I guess). Either way, calling Microsoft does actually work out. Wink
(05-10-2011, 11:19 PM)Rezard Wrote: I know it can be done. I've been there before (was a "generic OEM", I guess). Either way, calling Microsoft does actually work out. Wink

Note, that doesn't always work. Sometimes you get invalid codes. A co-worker wanted to transfer his XP laptop license to a new custom build and the hardware identification code on the new build was being recognized as invalid by the automated system.
You can call them and they MAY transfer it, but they don't have to and I have had people who've had it refused to them. OEM licenses are for single machines and again, the ones designed for big label companies (HP, Dell, etc) do not transfer to other computers because the licenses are tied to software built into the motherboards.

This isn't generic OEM installs (which are available to ALL system builders) that just need to be reactivated, these are bulk license OEM installs that require information stored on the bios itself to work.
"Can be done", though. I've done it, others have done it. Sorry if some can't.

...And what did Microsoft's rep say when called? If they say "No-No", that's when you express to them how much money you just spent, how unhappy you are, and maybe a little comment about how "I should've stuck with Mac". It can work, I guess it just takes a certain "tact". Smile
(05-11-2011, 12:40 AM)Rezard Wrote: "Can be done", though. I've done it, others have done it. Sorry if some can't.

...And what did Microsoft's rep say when called? If they say "No-No", that's when you express to them how much money you just spent, how unhappy you are, and maybe a little comment about how "I should've stuck with Mac". It can work, I guess it just takes a certain "tact". Smile

Actually, no. For pre-built OEM stuff, they'd tell you to call the manufacturer. They're not required to entertain support calls for OEM's. That's part of the extra expense when you buy retail.
Smile WADR, how about we agree to disagree and get back on topic?

Darkhadou10 has not made the wisest purchase. He is left with certain options:
  • Return the purchase for a refund, and try to do better next time around.
  • Stick with the choice he made, and get a real GPU in there.
  • Start "flying solo" and begin customizing what's there, starting with the motherboard.

I suppose, a CPU upgrade is all there is when you wanna get the most out of what you got. A GPU is gonna be necessary eventually, unless you're happy with a narrow selection of games you can emulate well. It's merely a shame that any CPU you could put in there does not even compare to what your current CPU could do if your motherboard allowed overclocking. That's not to mention that new CPU would cost more than an "OC-friendly" motherboard...