Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Just bought a new cpu- question about heat?
I just upgraded my old Phenom 9650 (2.30 GHz) to a Phenom II 955 (3.20 GHz). I used to get around 35 degrees C when it just idles without any programs running and around 49 degrees C when playing in pcsx2. Now that I got the new processor I am getting 50 degrees C on just idle and around 58-59 degrees C when playing pcsx2. My CPU usage is between 50-60% in Task Manager and I am running it at its full speed always ( High Performance plan in control panel) My question is is this normal or is it too hot and if so what should I do? The fan is pretty quiet so i hope that means its not getting too hot for it to handle. By the way I am playing Star Ocean 3. Thanks for your feedback.
Gigabyte GA-Z77M-D3H-MVP micro ATX Intel motherboard
Intel Core i5 3570K processor @3.4 GHz
Patriot G2 Series 8 GB DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800)
Sapphire Radeon HD7870XT 2GB GDDR5 RAM
Patriot Pyro SATA III 120 GB SSD
Corsair GS 600W PSU

Sponsored links

That does seem a little high, even with the stock cooler (and paste).
IIRC, it idled more around ~40c, typical load (i.e. PCSX2) was like ~55c, and IBT up to ~70c.

Double check and see that it's sitting on there right.
What is the ambient room temperature?
room temp is 78 Fahrenheit (25.5 C) and I'm pretty sure its installed correctly. One thing I find surprising is that the fan is not running really loudly even when I play pcsx2 and when playing The Last Remnant on pc. I even tried running both at the same time and cpu usage jumped to over 90% on all four cores and still the fan is not running loudly like on my old cpu before I cleaned the fan ( but it does run a little louder but barely noticeable). Like this when I run them both I get 61 degrees C holding steady!!!
Corsair GS 600W PSU
reset the fan setting on bios (there should be an automatic way to do it) or use speedfan. also i suggest to invest on aftermarket cooling, even coolermaster hyper 212+ would have noticeable improvement.
clean the heatsink base and cpu heatspreader (more accurately a die shield) and apply some noctua NT-H1
I think you wasted your money. You could have just overclock your old cpu and save some money. If you are going to spend money, then I'd highly suggest going the Intel route and never look back.
I have almost the same exact chip. It's actually a 720 with an unlocked core and overclocked from 2.8 - 3.4. But the analogy holds up here. I even have my chip overvolted and it doesn't exceed the first temps you posted. Do look into it because it's very abnormal.
All you can really do is reattach the heatsink, but if you don't have any spare thermal paste you might as well buy something like the 212+
(09-19-2011, 10:55 PM)tuanming Wrote: I think you wasted your money. You could have just overclock your old cpu and save some money. If you are going to spend money, then I'd highly suggest going the Intel route and never look back.

Actually i couldn't overclock my old cpu because it wasn't a black edition (like the new one I got) I'm not sure if I can even overclock this new one since AMD Overdrive isn't working ( I finally figured out that its because I am using the radeon 1650 instead of the radeon HD 3200 that comes integrated) I might try swapping it out and then running Overdrive but then again with the temps I am getting I wouldn't even think about overclocking. In any case I am happy with the performance I am getting and I'll see if I can do anything about the heat. Also this cpu is rated at 125W because its 45nm tech unlike the Intel ones that are at 95W on 32nm tech.
Corsair GS 600W PSU
(09-19-2011, 11:21 PM)Hellraiseradio Wrote: I have almost the same exact chip. It's actually a 720 with an unlocked core and overclocked from 2.8 - 3.4. But the analogy holds up here. I even have my chip overvolted and it doesn't exceed the first temps you posted. Do look into it because it's very abnormal.

but your cpu is rated at 95W while mine is at 125W
Corsair GS 600W PSU