KH2FM (and possibly more games) speedup
So... ok I was testing out my pc to check the max temp for my processor and my video ram...
And then it hit me, what if I choose a different setup from the configuration menu.
So I did and gained about 10 fps ( can't really say)

As I said, I tried this on KH2FM but it may work on some other games.

Has anyone made a guide for using pcsx2 config.? if so post the url please, if not I kindly ask for anyone to explain each component, I'm sure we will all appreciate it

(another damn)edit 2.1.5.47
for some twisted reason... using scaling 2x on gsdx plugin, gives me 2-3 more frames

(btw first post ever, having trouble with edits...Sad )

Last update

Latest ( and last) tests:
Final fantasy XII (7-8 more fps in crowded areas.. went from 48/49-56/57)
FFX 56 min -60max ( did not use framelimiting.. idiot 8-) )
Megaman X7 4-5 improvement
megaman X8 3-4
Final fantasy 2 fps in cgv, 3fps in map gameplay 1-2 in battles
***KH2FM***( During gameplay the original posted 10 fps gain seemed choppy, then I realized I had speed hacks, when Turned off fps became ---> 6-9

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

processor intel e2200 Overclocked @ 2.92
3gbs Ram @ 540mhz 1:1 ratio
ATI 5570 graphics card
motherboard T41HD Biostar overclock friendly

Sponsored links

Your observations can be really true, only those results are too much dependent on particular games (and the emulator version). Reason the options exist but the default is that that grants safer behavior in most games or safer enough to make the performance gain worthwhile.

As general rule the speed hacks always degrades the accuracy in exchange for performance while the others options does the inverse. For some machines and most games the default can be good enough so the user does not need to be concerned, sadly most machines aren't yet the quicker enough to it.

So, for everyone having performance or accuracy issues the right road is experimenting, as you did, and finding what is better for the game being played in the machine it's done.

About the resolution, the reasoning behind it (and actually it's an issue in the console itself vs the TV device) is double faced, while to the emulator's view point scaling up always implies in some CPU overhead it's the contrary for the video card scaling down in some instances. Again it's a balance between the CPU x GPU power and the EE x GS usage.
In time: The reference to the console and TV is because of a known problem with some (most) TV models that lags perceptibly when scaling down. I don't know statistics for monitors but it may be true for them too. Anyway, that would be an issue to monitors only in true full screen since in windowed mode it will be in it's native resolution all the time.
Imagination is where we are truly real
I see, thank you for your reply nolisalabekenes

And yes, So far this has been ONLY tested on kingdom hearts 2 final mix ( I'm sorry, it's almost 3am here, and do not want to start on another game till sunrise)

My testing takes toggling and running for at least 20 seconds to read constant frame rates, which is slow, so I'll continue later.

And please, if anyone has made a guide for all the commands "please stand up"
ATI 5570 graphics card
"As general rule the speed hacks always degrades the accuracy in exchange for performance while the others options does the inverse. For some machines and most games the default can be good enough so the user does not need to be concerned, sadly most machines aren't yet the quicker enough to it."

I did NOT use speed hacks

What I did was enabling/ disabling the way pcsx2 emulates the console, look at img.....
So I do NOT expect choppyness, fog flying around or bugs somewhere
the worst that can happen from this, is horrible frames ( for example using interpreter ... give it a try XDDD)
ATI 5570 graphics card
..not really. Changing clamp modes and VU recompilers can cause all kinds of crashes, errors bugs and lots of bad stuff. All options are explained in the configuration guide which I seriously wonder how you could have missed since it's a sticky in this forum and on the site.

Your speedup was caused by setting the VU clamping to none which can cause problems in many games and I think KH2 is included. You could do the same with the EE clamping for another speedup but it's the same thing as using speed hacks. You're using a less compatible configuration for more speed, which is exactly what speed hacks do too.
[Image: newsig.jpg]
(08-18-2010, 11:15 AM)Bositman Wrote: ..not really. Changing clamp modes and VU recompilers can cause all kinds of crashes, errors bugs and lots of bad stuff. All options are explained in the configuration guide which I seriously wonder how you could have missed since it's a sticky in this forum and on the site.

Ups, I did not see much detail in sticky, but I'll be sure to give it another read

(08-18-2010, 11:15 AM)Bositman Wrote: Your speedup was caused by setting the VU clamping to none which can cause problems in many games and I think KH2 is included. You could do the same with the EE clamping for another speedup but it's the same thing as using speed hacks. You're using a less compatible configuration for more speed, which is exactly what speed hacks do too.

I see, but when we talk about less compatible, as long as the game is proven to run well, there's no harm done in using these setting, while the actual speedhacks Tab does lose many frame rates in order to achieve the desired framelimit..

Anyway, thanks bositman for your reply, I'll be sure to check the guide later.

And to finish this thread I advice players to try these setting which
DO change the way the ps2 is emulated
(may not be the exact emulation, but it is definitely better)
DO NOT lose any quality, not video nor audio neither frame rates

Since I have not seen any kind of slowdown or instability I'll keep these settings.. stop testing and just continue playing XDDD.

Feel free to post your own experience guys
ATI 5570 graphics card
Quote:I see, but when we talk about less compatible, as long as the game is proven to run well, there's no harm done in using these setting, while the actual speedhacks Tab does lose many frame rates in order to achieve the desired framelimit..

Wrong. Only VU Cycle stealing and much more rarely EE cycle rate can mess with the fps display. The rest of the speed hacks are just like the settings you changed. If they work, you get better speeds (sometimes same speed, some rare times slower, depending on the game's way of working), if they don't you also get bugs. Same thing with setting clamping to none for example instead of normal.
Wrong. Only VU Cycle stealing and much more rarely EE cycle rate can mess with the fps display. The rest of the speed hacks are just like the settings you changed. If they work, you get better speeds (sometimes same speed, some rare times slower, depending on the game's way of working), if they don't you also get bugs. Same thing with setting clamping to none for example instead of normal.

For the last time I DID NOT USE ANY SPEED HACKS
VU cycle stealing is at speedhacks tab as well as EE cycle rate
WHICH I DID NOT TOUCH.
Yes I understand you say it's similar, but it's not the same tweaks
afterall pcsx2 9.7 is still a beta
so gamers can test their preferred configuration

If someone would post negative scores we could do a more thorough experiment

I just realized, this forum is pretty dead... people only download the emulator and close the explorer... starting to feel like a waste Sad
ATI 5570 graphics card
Uh ok and when exactly did I say you're using the aforementioned speed hacks? It's not a crime using them either, no need to get agitated Tongue I'm just trying to make you understand that what you do is the same with using speed hacks but I guess it's a lost cause Tongue

Uh forum is dead? It gets ~300 new posts per day 0_o
(08-18-2010, 07:55 PM)Bositman Wrote: Uh ok and when exactly did I say you're using the aforementioned speed hacks? It's not a crime using them either,

YES IT IS A CRIME GODDDAMIT

by the way since 99.99% of gamers do not read guides I will post your guide here, after all, this is what I was looking for in the first place

Bositman ' Wrote: This section has a wide variety of advanced settings for power users who know what they are doing. Do NOT change any of this if you don't know what you are doing.
For maximum compatibility, set the EErec Clamp mode to 'Full' and the VUrec Clamp to 'Extra+Preserve Sign'.
EErec options:
Round mode: Changes how rounding of floats is calculated. If your game is freezing somewhere, try changing the value here.
Clamp mode: These settings go from faster to slower from left to right. So 'None' is the fastest but least compatible and 'Full' is the slowest but most compatible.
If you experience spikey polygons or bad geometry, try setting this to extra or full. Note: 'Full' mode works properly only when VUrecs clamp is set to 'Extra+Preserve Sign'.
Flush to Zero: Can give a small speed boost but will lower compatibility.
Denormals are Zero: Gives a good speed boost and should not cause any problem.

VUrecs options:
Round mode: Same as EErec
Clamp mode: These settings go from faster to slower from left to right. So 'None' is the fastest but least compatible and 'Extra+Preserve Sign' is the slowest but most compatible.
If you experience spikey polygons or bad geometry, try setting this to 'Extra+Preserve Sign'.
Flush to Zero: Can give a small speed boost but will lower compatibility.
Denormals are Zero: Gives a huge speed boost and should not cause any problem.

Defaults button: Will return all advanced options to defaults, which are the best settings for most games (balanced in terms of speed and compatibility.

So there you have it fellas you can try these all in fastest and if you get any bugs try toggling one by one, if you do many at the same time you won't solve it...

Too much pcsx2 for a week ¬¬ gonna go play pong nowBlink
ATI 5570 graphics card