Killzone Almost working but need help
The game is almost working, passed intro and got into the first level.
Even got the sound working with the ZeroSPU2 plugin.
But the game runs quite slow and has some strange stripes in the lower field.
I've tried a few Speed Hacks, but the result is dissapointing.
Any suggestions to speed it up a bit or do I just have to wait a while for a new update of PCSX2?

Thanks a lot!

P.S. I'm using the latetst beta 1888

My specs:
Nvideo Geforce GTX 260
AMD Athlon x2 Dual(5000+)
4 GB int.

Sponsored links

Hate to say it, but you're best bet isn't to wait for a new version of pcsx2, but upgrade your processor.

New versions may give you a 10-15% increase in speed... but if the game is running really slow, chances are that won't be nearly enough to get full speed.
[Image: 2748844.png]
(10-30-2009, 10:58 AM)Koji Wrote: Hate to say it, but you're best bet isn't to wait for a new version of pcsx2, but upgrade your processor.

New versions may give you a 10-15% increase in speed... but if the game is running really slow, chances are that won't be nearly enough to get full speed.

Thanks so much Koji.
Strange thing is though that my processor is at 40% in the first level. It's at 100% during startup of the game.
Maybe just buy back the PS2 I sold last year...
So, is there any way to tweak my system?
I believe this game should work with my system, especially with the relatively new GTX 260.
Maybe there's a way to overclock it or use more resources of the videocard rather than my X2 CPU?
Thanks in advance evreyone!
Unlike PC gaming where the graphics card is more indicative of what your game speed will be, it's your CPU that mostly determines your speed in game. X2 5000 is only a 2.6ghz dual core, most 3d games require 3-3.5ghz to run full speed, with some games not running full speed even at 4ghz+. There is no way around that unfortunately.
Thanks for the kind and quick reply Koji.
So will overclocking my CPU do any good then?
And did you try Killzone on your system?
I don't own killzone so unfortunately I can't try it for you. Overclocking will help, but to what extent depends on how much of an overclock you get out of your system. I understand your situation though, I had a very similar system (x2 5200) and had similar slowdowns in many many games... I eventually had to bite the bullet and pull out $150 for a system update including a new mobo and processor (see sig).

I managed to get a 2.8ghz overclock out of my processor and it did help noticably, but I still ended up with slowdowns with many games.
Yeah, it's pretty frustrating.
This strange thing remains though:
- During the game (first level) my CPU is at 50-60% and and around 70-80% in the task manager.
And strangely enough, in the highest Speed Hack, it's only at 35 %!
So it looks like it isn't even at it's highest. Can you shed some light on that?
- I can't select SSE3, eventhough my CPU supports it. Will it make any differerence anyway?

Thanks again for your help, really appreciate it!
X2's support SSE3, but not SSSE3. That extra S stands for supplementary and is only available on Core2Duos and later.

50-60% on the pcsx2 window? Is so, that's how much CPU the graphics plugin is using. When you have a dual core processor, you have 1 core doing all of the main emulation work while the second core handles everything related to graphics.

Your Main CPU core (the one handling all the emulation) will always be at 99%, while your second core was only at 50-60% because it was waiting for the main core to finish the emulation processes before it can do anymore. That also explains your 70-80% total in task manager (99% main core + 50% second core = 150% / 2 cores = 75% of your total CPU usage)

So basically, unless your GPU is too slow (that is, it can't keep up with the first core emulating everything else) your CPU on pcsx2 should never reach 99%. There is currently no way to take advantage of that little bit of leftover CPU usage on the second core, at least not without making the emulator a lot more confusing to make and improve on and it's likely to cause more problems and slowdowns than you'd gain from it.
Thanks again for the detailed info.
I guess it won't work properly with my system.
I'm gonna update my system anyway in the near future, so we'll see.

Cheers!
Floris